Is Metroid other M as good as SM: Sunshine?

#81SMASHKING84Posted 12/4/2012 3:04:50 AM
Vyers posted...
SMASHKING: A character without emotion is superior to a character whose emotions are poorly written.

1.you only think it's poorly written because she's a girl if a man was being bossed arround by another man or a woman bossing arround a man you wouldn't care. You think it's bad she potrayed as emotionally weak because it's sexist. well i'm here to tell you that ONLY liking a female character because she's a badass is even more sexist.
real life women even STRONG women can sometimes be emotionally weak[and the same thing can be said about males]

emotionally weak is not a bad thing especially in samus case. she's NORMALLY strong so it's not like she's being a peach rip off.
she had a reason to be the way she was she lost someone she loved.

and like i said you only liking samus when she's being a badass says that all female characters must be badasses to for you to like them.

you should like the character for being themselves not just because they act a certain way.

2.No it's not better for a character to be emotionless. if you want a glorfied avatar go play a game as a mii. characters are supposed to have thoughts and emotions. and sadness is a natural emotion. you act like samus is ALWAYS sad but it only happened in m.o.m this far acceptable then a character that's ALWAYS sad,always angry,etc.

3.all i'm saying is character progression is necessary otherwise we get stuck with a series like mario or zelda were it's the same exact story every single time...
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon ppl who agree:3
unless i state otherwise everything i say is MY opinion.
#82VyersPosted 12/4/2012 3:20:48 AM
lolokay. I guess the perfectly valid argument that Samus is acting in a way that contradicts every element of her character established across almost every other Metroid game ever made is now a pretend thing, and in fact, "it's sexist lolololol".

Thanks for creating a strawman, by the way, for people who ONLY like Samus because she's a badass. I like Samus because she's a capable character who acts in a realistic fashion. Metroid Fusion established her as a character with emotional conflict and a caged personality. I guess that wasn't enough, she also had to curl up into a ball of tears.

So yes, I should like a character for being themselves. For example: I didn't like when Samus, in Other M, acted like a completely different person than she does in every single video game she has appeared in. Changing a character from how she is, is simply absurd when the character already has an established personality, emotional mindset, and numerous other character traits.

And yes, it is. It literally is. This is an argument that does not exist because there is nothing to argue. If a character is written without personality, it is not a good thing. If a character is written with a bad personality - which invariably affects the experience because being indifferent to a character is better than hating a character - it is a bad thing. It's a matter of neutrality, versus hatred. I would rather not care about a character, then I would hate a character. I cannot understand how you think poor quality is a good thing.

Samus doesn't need to act like that more than once. If she does it once, then it hurts the character until the moment that Sakamoto declares Other M a pox of the series. What happened to Samus in Other M was not progression. It definitely, absolutely isn't, because progression is character development as a result of logic. Samus going from someone who can more than capably handle Ridley to someone who has a nervous breakdown upon seeing Ridley is character degression. It is the character design eroding. The character was designed to be able to handle Ridley - establishing them as clear rivals - while in Other M, Ridley is clearly dominant over her. It would be one thing if this was their first encounter. However, it isn't. It is in fact one of the last encounters she ever has with him. The woman had defeated Ridley four times previous. For her to be less capable of handling him now demands that her sanity is reduced - not established - or that the writing was bad (which is actually the likely cause of the first scenario, so it's really the only option).
---
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
Blog: http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=6123776 / YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear
#83AceMosPosted 12/4/2012 3:22:39 AM
smash king how many times do you have to be told samus has personality in the other metroid games

metroid zero mission a remake of the first has samus hired to stop mother brain she does that then crashes and her suit is disabled from the massive impact

then out numbered out gunned and with no way to contact help she invades the space pirated comand ship she even coments that tis dangerus (yes she talks to her self a bit but its short and to the point unlike other M)

then she restores her suit gets some upgrades with the restoration blows up the ship and escapes to head off to her next mission

then the game ends showing us a drawing she made as a child showing how much she loved her adoptive chozo family

prime 1 again samus was not payed to chase ridley down she did it becuse she knew inocent ppl would be hurt if she didnt stop him and the pirates

then prime 1 ends with samus reflecting on her lost chozo family (she even takes off her helmet so we can se her face)

prime 2 she was hired to investigate what happened to a group of federation troopers she finds out but stays to resolve the problem she was NOT payed to do that she learns of the luminoth who are in danger and then sets out to save an alien race she knows nothing about becuse its the right thing to do

prime 2 then ends with the luminoth race bowing to her out of respect she walks off and gives a simple hand wave as if to say yea yea all in a days work this shows her beinc heroic and works as a shout out to all 2d metroids ending with a see you next mission (which allways had a pic of samus that looked as if to say all in a days work)

prime 3 she IS payed for this one but you can still see her character shown in her itneractions with all other chars as the hunters die we see her show sarrow for the loss of a comrad and friend

then she charges alone in to phaze and she is clearly dieing but to her its more inportant to stop dark samus yes she lives but she didnt know she would live trew that mission

then as phaze explodes she sends a simple msg to admiral dain (Some 1 far more comptent of a leader than adam) that reads mission complete

she then fly to sky town and sits alone and relfects all the ppl who died

we then head to metroid 2

samus is hired to kill all metroids not much happens in this one but it ends with her sparing a baby metroid becuse its HARMLESS (not becuse of mother issues as other m tries to cram down are throats this was stated in super metroid at its start)

on to the best metroid of all super metroid

super metroid she had no mission or any thing to chase ridley down in she did it becuse she knew he needed to be stoped the intro of super metroid she explaisn she gave the baby metroid to scince so that its power could be used to help ppl she wasnt payed for it or anything she even rescues some inocent animals (which is canon as proven in fusion)

and then its fusion

where samus monologs a tiny bit but never shows that she is weak willed or anything like that and she shows she will gladly ignore the federation if its a threat to teh safty of the inocent

so as you can see other M does go against her character in all other metroids
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#84IHeartMetroidPosted 12/4/2012 3:46:23 AM
My only hope is that the next Metroid game abandons and ignores everything Other M did and just picks up after the end of Fusion.

We've been at this cliffhanger for how long now without a resolution?
#85SMASHKING84Posted 12/4/2012 3:46:37 AM
"I like samus for being potrayed in a realistic way” bull you look at people in real life and no matter HOW emotionally stable they are they sometimes break down.

for christ sake this isn't about consistentcy PEOPLE ACT IRATIONALLY there's no reason a character cannot act irrational and you stating they should completely contradicts you saying you want realism.

i want you to show me ONE example of a person living there ENTIRE life without acting irrational.

you want to talk realism then explain how the hell samus looks completely different then she did in metriod 1. and please for the love of god tell me how it's realistic NOT to be sad after the death of something you loved.

I can tell you right now my cat died over 5 years ago and i still sometimes get bummed out by it.
---
#86VyersPosted 12/4/2012 4:09:03 AM
SMASHKING, what you basically said was the excuse for many poorly written characters.

"Oh, sometimes people act inconsistently with how they normally act!"

It's a copout. As a matter of fact, every character who has NEEDED to have that defense used on them is a poorly written character if that's the BEST you can do. There's no pattern of irrationality, there's no history of irrationality. It's just an excuse, and a bad one at that. An excuse with no evidence in the entire world to back it up besides anecdotes of "people act like that sometimes!".

But hey

Let's just stop and point out

You just attempted to equate a character's personality changing without any retcon of the personality that this new one contradicts to a character's design evolving over time.

Desperation ho!

Samus is a bad character in Other M. She is one of Nintendo's worst because of Other M. Until Other M is written out of the annals of Nintendo, she will stay that way.
---
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
Blog: http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=6123776 / YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear
#87LordBowserPosted 12/4/2012 4:36:30 AM(edited)
It has terrible game mechanics, and the worst story I've ever seen in a game before.

Maybe you'll like it anyways. It's possible. However, the story is royally f***ed up.

Super Mario Sunshine is a completely different game, it's like asking if an apple tastes better than an orange. I'm going to go with 'not as good as Sunshine' though since Metroid M is utter crap in my opinion.

There are so many things I hate about this game.

The story.

The fact you have to go first person to fire missiles. (What the hell?!)

The fact 99% of the game has you dodging attacks by spamming any direction over and over and being invincible. This is both annoying and breaks the game.

No new items throughout the game, just 'authorization' of items you already have. What a joke.

One of the bosses is a ****ing forklift. Seriously, that's how ridiculously bad this game's story is.

I could keep going but this is by far the worst Metroid game I've ever had the displeasure of playing in my life. I just wanted to elaborate a little bit on some of the things I hate so much about this game (I'm barely scratching the surface). You may like the gameplay despite this, but I can't fathom anyone liking this game's pile of s*** story.
---
I am Lord Bowser, King of the Koopas! Bwahaha..
Playing Bowser on Mario Kart, and Noxus on Metroid Prime. I am not a cookie cutter!
#88SMASHKING84Posted 12/4/2012 4:43:38 AM
so people being irrational has no basis in facts? LOL.
btw there's a reason i bring up the whole irrational thing. because your doing it right now.

there's no real reason you should throw a hissy fit over samus in other m people DO act like that in real life it's not an excuse it's me pointing out a fact.

samus acting not like her self PROVES she wasn't being rationale. The other cases were a character is acting badly that's HOW THEY NORMALLY ACT i'm not excusing them.

All i'm saying is there a huge difference between a character that TEMPORARILY loses there mind and acts differently then normally then a person who's personality is terrible no matter what there mood is.

It's also important you understand that temporary insanity is a valid defense.

if one day you snap and accidentally kill someone then realize what you did was wrong and regret it,it wouldn't be fair to treat you the same as a person who intentionally killed someone and doesn't even regret it.

your forgetting the SAME person who wrote super metriod wrote other m.

and if you don't like him let's let miyamoto take care of the series and completely remove any semblance of story and also release the same exact game 9000 times.
---
#89AceMosPosted 12/4/2012 4:46:53 AM
SMASHKING84 posted...
so people being irrational has no basis in facts? LOL.
btw there's a reason i bring up the whole irrational thing. because your doing it right now.

there's no real reason you should throw a hissy fit over samus in other m people DO act like that in real life it's not an excuse it's me pointing out a fact.

samus acting not like her self PROVES she wasn't being rationale. The other cases were a character is acting badly that's HOW THEY NORMALLY ACT i'm not excusing them.

All i'm saying is there a huge difference between a character that TEMPORARILY loses there mind and acts differently then normally then a person who's personality is terrible no matter what there mood is.

It's also important you understand that temporary insanity is a valid defense.

if one day you snap and accidentally kill someone then realize what you did was wrong and regret it,it wouldn't be fair to treat you the same as a person who intentionally killed someone and doesn't even regret it.

your forgetting the SAME person who wrote super metriod wrote other m.

and if you don't like him let's let miyamoto take care of the series and completely remove any semblance of story and also release the same exact game 9000 times.

are you even reading my posts....

also you bringign miyamoto into this is irrational as it was HIS idea to have retro make the prime games (games loved by metroid fans)

and HIS idea to add first person to the prime games (something ppl expected to hate but wound up loving)
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#90IHeartMetroidPosted 12/4/2012 5:01:59 AM
"Desperation ho!"

That's not a nice thing to call Other M's Samus...

>_>

<_<