Any master gamers here?

#1EvonfirePosted 12/4/2012 10:07:57 AM
"The emerging scientific picture is that 10,000 hours of practice is required to achieve the level of mastery associated with being a world-class expert in anything. In study after study, of composers, basketball players, fiction writers, ice skaters, concert pianists, chess players, master criminals, and what have you, this number comes up again and again."

This thread has no point other then me realizing this morning that I have been playing video games for 20 years now....20... I was born in 1985.. The original NES came out in 1985, the SNES in 1991, so I was around 6 when I began this hobby. Now I'm 27 and have never grown tired of video games. Just now I'm rekindling my love for Nintendo handhelds with the 3ds after missing the DS/PSP generation. It's funny, I never learned an instrument, never perfected a sport, but by definition im a master gamer. Where is my glory and recognition from society :p

Sorry for such a pointless thread lol.
---
I'm a 10+ year GameFaqs lurker. Friend Code: 3668-7314-6427.
#2JoeHigashi2000Posted 12/4/2012 10:10:55 AM
Yeah.
---
GT: J03HIG45HI PSN PS3/Vita: JoeHigashi2000 3DS FC: 0817-3804-7210
#3Tempest717Posted 12/4/2012 10:11:30 AM
Not sure you can really be a master gamer, each game (or genre at least) requires different skills....or even none at all depending on the game. Not saying you can't master a single game like a fighter or FPS or other competitive multiplayer game
---
Official Cherry Garcia of the IDF
Official Lion Tamer of the NDF
#4TaaronPosted 12/4/2012 10:16:12 AM(edited)
In my 25+ years of gaming, I am confident I have clocked way more than 10,000 hours, however I would not consider myself a master as the games I play are quite widespread. That and I never actually practice, I just play to have fun.
---
Nothing wrong with a 40 year old man watching anime intended for 5 year old Japanese girls.
#5rizsparkyPosted 12/4/2012 10:38:00 AM
Im a Master Bator.
#601Philip01Posted 12/4/2012 10:38:47 AM
rizsparky posted...
Im a Master Bator.

I'm master arbiter
---
NNID: PhilipPwns ( Add me thru miiverse )
3DS Friend Code: 0387 9129 6502
#7n00bsaib0tPosted 12/4/2012 10:54:03 AM
Not sure you can really be a master gamer, each game (or genre at least) requires different skills....or even none at all depending on the game. Not saying you can't master a single game like a fighter or FPS or other competitive multiplayer game

A lot of games have transferable skill sets though.

If you take fighters seriously, you learn one controller (arcade stick) and from there you learn new game mechanics while the basics always work (just look at the sponsored pro players racking up wins in SFxTK by playing it like SF2 with a chain combo tag mechanic when others who take it seriously use all the new stuff and know it in and out but can't beat them, the basics win every time when you're more skilled).

In rhythm games its kind of the opposite, once you figure out how to read scrolling notes all you have to do is learn new controllers. I rarely spend more than 3 songs playing on a low difficulty before moving up to the higher ones on games I hadn't played before and within a week of getting a new game with a new controller I'm looking for spots on the leaderboard.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#8SW_FFXIfanPosted 12/4/2012 11:11:43 AM
It still does not actually apply. It was originally coined by a man named Ericsson I believe? Often times it is called the 10 year rule. It does not mean 10 years or 10, 000 hours of simply playing/enjoying video games. It refers to 10 years of meaningful practice every single day for 4 hours or so.

There's a difference between swimming/playing a specific type of video game (fighters, mobas etc.) playing an instrument for fun, and "meaningful practice". You might be better than the average person, but by no means an expert or a master of the profession.
---
LoL IGN: Butch Magnus
#9ShikixtohnoPosted 12/4/2012 11:13:38 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...

A lot of games have transferable skill sets though.

If you take fighters seriously, you learn one controller (arcade stick) and from there you learn new game mechanics while the basics always work (just look at the sponsored pro players racking up wins in SFxTK by playing it like SF2 with a chain combo tag mechanic when others who take it seriously use all the new stuff and know it in and out but can't beat them, the basics win every time when you're more skilled).

In rhythm games its kind of the opposite, once you figure out how to read scrolling notes all you have to do is learn new controllers. I rarely spend more than 3 songs playing on a low difficulty before moving up to the higher ones on games I hadn't played before and within a week of getting a new game with a new controller I'm looking for spots on the leaderboard.

I was about to say the same thing. I like trying out different fighting games and usually can find a winning strategy fairly quickly due to this.
---
---
3ds FC: 1118-0241-4690
#10iMURDAuPosted 12/4/2012 11:15:18 AM
I'd say Mega_Rat qualifies as a master gamer. When you are good enough at a game that they put you in the credits for the next game that is mastery.
---
"Either way's good with me. But I wonder what Zanza would say about it."
3DS FC: 1977-1514-4983, PM if you add me