Older Nintendo handheld gamers, are you still able to play Pokemon to this day?

#1MourningReignsPosted 12/5/2012 6:47:06 AM
This is just a question out of curiosity.

Back in the day when I was a kid and first received Pokemon Blue, I couldn't put it down. I would search for every Pokemon, leveled tons up to 99, and just explored.

Nowadays if I try to play one, I can't stand the constant random battles, or the grind...it always makes me wonder how many younger self could focus for longer periods of times when I cannot now. Even more so that they added features that back in the day would have made me go crazy (like battling and trading online WITHOUT A CABLE!!!!)

It has nothing to do with anything wrong with the game, I just seem to have lost my ability to focus and do these kind of tasks over and over. Does any of the older gamers feel this way?

I guess in general as I've gotten older I've actually wanted to go back to simplified games, ones that have challenge but require minimal buttons.
---
I finally won a mod dispute. Too bad it got overturned a day after my suspension ended.
#2ryudin89Posted 12/5/2012 6:48:57 AM
Yes.
---
GameFAQS=why games should be played and people should be avoided.-selfdeztruction
http://fav.me/d3e91yr
#3Darklit_RequiemPosted 12/5/2012 6:50:52 AM
Yes, but usually with the help of some sort of speed-up feature and savestates
---
3DS Friend Code: 0817-3849-7645
Currently Playing - Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
#4Catcher_FreemanPosted 12/5/2012 6:51:07 AM
The metagame is what keeps me into Pokemon.
---
Swagodile's alt.
#5MetalLokiPosted 12/5/2012 6:53:08 AM
Yeah, my 1st handheld game was blue but that thing sucks compare to Black2.
---
The official Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
Official Cookies 'n Cream/Shimapan fan of the IDF/NDF
#6stridermeisPosted 12/5/2012 6:58:04 AM
I played Blue back when it came out and loved it. The only other pokemon I played was black. I fell in love with it all over again. The story was cringe worthy, but I love everything else about the game. I even love grinding. I love watching It's always Sunny in Philadelphia while grinding away on my DS.
---
3DS - Joey: 1032-1228-0742
PSN(PS3/VITA) - strider_laharl
#7gexpres5Posted 12/5/2012 7:01:56 AM
Yeah, I still play Pokemon but not as avidly; I only played daily whenI was younger and when i first got Pokemon white but once college and the semester started at most I'll play would be 1hr a week (if i dont have any new games to play). Since I've gotten older, I only train my Pokemon up to whatever the highest leveled Elite 4 member has.
#8kdiz4321Posted 12/5/2012 7:03:45 AM(edited)
No, but not for the reasons that you stated. The games have been too much the same; go on a journey to help a professor for some reason, fight some gym leaders to get to the elite 4 and fight some evil organization along the way. And even that wouldn't be so much of a problem if you could actually collect all of the pokemon, but now half of the legendaries that are officially in the pokedex are only available through various events, although I've heard that you can get some through wifi too. Still kind of takes the fun out of it for me.

I'm not a big fan of the metagame; I wouldn't mind grinding out EVs, but trying to get one pokemon that has the right personality with the right IVs just sounds like a pain in the ass so I never got into it.

By the way, the highest level you can get in pokemon is 100.

---
I am not an early adopter. If your system is as awesome as you say it is, it will still be in stores when the games I want are out.
#9RyuVegasPosted 12/5/2012 7:04:52 AM
I couldn't put it down all the way through to Black/White. It was like a crack addiction for me. Finally though, I have resisted all urges to get the Sequels and I don't play many games with Pokemon featured in it.

So yes. I have finally stopped.
---
http://backloggery.com/ryuvega LP: Kid Icarus: Uprising
"I've seen Ryu on the MtG board so he's already cooler than most of you." ~ XImperialDragon
#10DarkIVloonPosted 12/5/2012 7:05:14 AM
no,i was a TMNT kid and already too old for Pokemon when it came out in the 90's.
---
Gotta get em' all, shmupmon!