Older Nintendo handheld gamers, are you still able to play Pokemon to this day?

#61cant_think2Posted 12/5/2012 2:17:09 PM
I bought pokemon heart gold a while back.

To answer the topic question, I'm still able to play but rarely and not for very long.

I'm only at the 5th gym, I like the games.

Random encounters, I do not like these, I wish they would have (example) a little monster on the map, you chose to run into it, it has a chance of being this pokemon or that one.

You can still keep the random encounter system, you just pick to fight or not.

The grinding isn't bad, I guess that, since I'm older I get board with the game a lot faster.

Speeding it up like on pokemon stadium games helped a lot.

On the subject of pokemon there is a pokemon MMO its just like the games just online.

Its free and fun if you like the games.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC 1936-8697-3913
#62diving_devil46Posted 12/5/2012 2:17:53 PM
Sort of, I play one every now and again.

Blue was my first and I also got Yellow. Then I kind of didn't play any for a while then went back with Pearl.

After Pearl I didn't play any until SoulSilver, and that was my last one.

So I guess I play one every 3-5 years?
#63AlwaysFicklePosted 12/5/2012 2:18:01 PM
I grew up with pokemon at age 7 with Yellow version and I will always love pokemon but I think my journey with this fanchise will end after 5th generation. I do not like IVs, ruined metagame for me. But yes this is a good generation to end for me.
#64AnclationPosted 12/5/2012 2:28:07 PM
I'm 24, and Pokemon Red was my first game in the series, one that I loved and spent more than 150 hours on. None of the later games had me hooked quite the same way (though I really did enjoy Gen III), and when I first got Pokemon Diamond I only got around to beating the first two Gyms.

However, Black/White and its sequel really got me into the series again, and I've been having lots of fun and learned tons of new things (and not just about the metagame) playing through various Pokemon titles (first Diamond, then Black, then Pokemon XD for GameCube, then Platinum and now Black 2). A lot of things haven't changed much, but there certainly have been lots and lots improvements, big and small, along the way, and the traditional Pokemon formula is still very addicting. There are just so many cool Pokemon out there that I'm eager to try out, and a lot of great challenges to attempt if the standard playthrough gets old. I'm certainly happy to be back playing Pokemon.
#65SMASHKING84Posted 12/5/2012 2:41:25 PM
cant_think2 posted...
I bought pokemon heart gold a while back.

To answer the topic question, I'm still able to play but rarely and not for very long.

I'm only at the 5th gym, I like the games.

Random encounters, I do not like these, I wish they would have (example) a little monster on the map, you chose to run into it, it has a chance of being this pokemon or that one.

You can still keep the random encounter system, you just pick to fight or not.

The grinding isn't bad, I guess that, since I'm older I get board with the game a lot faster.

Speeding it up like on pokemon stadium games helped a lot.

On the subject of pokemon there is a pokemon MMO its just like the games just online.

Its free and fun if you like the games.

use repels in black 2 you use a repel it'll ask you if you want to use another if the first one runs out.

The games were you see an enemy on the field rarely have repellent like items.

They also show you ONE enemy on the screen even if your fighting like 6 at once. besides if you run from a fight in those games you leave your self open for an ambush.

lets not forget that many rpgs like this show you generic models that look nothing like the enemies you face.

and frankly the random battle system is the only way pokemon could feasibly work.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon ppl who agree:3
Pokemon Black 2 [OU rules player] Rosa:4170-2970-6954 PM Me if you add me.
#66RafedxPosted 12/5/2012 2:42:43 PM
MourningReigns posted...
This is just a question out of curiosity.

Back in the day when I was a kid and first received Pokemon Blue, I couldn't put it down. I would search for every Pokemon, leveled tons up to 99, and just explored.

Nowadays if I try to play one, I can't stand the constant random battles, or the grind...it always makes me wonder how many younger self could focus for longer periods of times when I cannot now. Even more so that they added features that back in the day would have made me go crazy (like battling and trading online WITHOUT A CABLE!!!!)

It has nothing to do with anything wrong with the game, I just seem to have lost my ability to focus and do these kind of tasks over and over. Does any of the older gamers feel this way?

I guess in general as I've gotten older I've actually wanted to go back to simplified games, ones that have challenge but require minimal buttons.

Kind of a reverse situation for me, when pokemon first came out I couldn't stand it, I mean my little brother was playing it so I sure wasn't going to. Then a bunch of years later I met my wife, she bought Pokemon Diamond and never touched it, she was playing I think Fallout 3 at the time so I decided I might as well start playing it and see if its any good.

Now I love the game, I don't mind the grind as I still play older RPG's on the SNES and NES from time to time, and while the random battles drive me nuts in most games I can cope with them in Pokemon. It is more fun then I gave it credit for, and I can pick up and play at anytime so its nice to have.
---
http://www.terra-comic.com --> Terra: a Science Fiction Webcomic / Updates every 15th of the month.
#67SMASHKING84Posted 12/5/2012 2:52:44 PM
i'd like to point out that EVERY game makes you fight random weak enemies the only difference is they usally do so without rewarding you for fighting them.

i mean how many goombas have you killed in mario to not get any reward besides score and coins... how many zombies in re do you fight on the way to the boss?

you might not like grinding but at least it gives you SOME incentive to fight random scrubs and not just run away.

and really in pokemon it isn't very necessary to grind anyways. feel better it's not like an mmo were you might have to spend hundreds of battles to reach one level up and you need like ten to not get slaughtered by the boss. plus level 100 should be the BARE MINIMUM level cap imo. seriously level 60 level caps or even 80 is a joke...
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon ppl who agree:3
Pokemon Black 2 [OU rules player] Rosa:4170-2970-6954 PM Me if you add me.
#68HogarthHughesPosted 12/5/2012 2:57:27 PM
Yeah for sure. I still have a lime green gameboy color I play them on. I still play the Pokemon Card Game video game too.
---
"You know what's better than a triceratops? Only every other dinosaur that has ever existed."
#69oORyuumaruOoPosted 12/5/2012 3:02:03 PM
I tried playing White for a week or two, I was probably on the second or third gym before losing interest. Mostly due to the same turn based gameplay mechanic. I'm holding out for at least a spinoff with these components:

-same premise of challenging gyms across the region and capturing all Pokemon
-console
-full 3D characters and environments
-more action oriented approach to battles
.Pokemon Stadium-esque battles
.you take control of the pokemon and can move around the arena
.manual dodge mapped to the R1/RB
.radial on the bottom left screen, use LR2/LRT to cycle through items/pokemon/run/etc.
.attacks are mapped to face buttons
.stamina for dodging
.mutiplayer and versus mode of course
-Ni no Kuni style world map
-wild Pokemon appear on world map
-include all Pokemon generations
---
PSN: MrSeizo
"Who's the toilette man now?"
#70Ampharos64Posted 12/5/2012 3:03:58 PM
I'm 25, first Pokemon game was Blue, it was actually that that got me into handheld and console gaming. Yes, I am, but there are some aspects that keep me from playing as obsessively as I used too (which may be a good thing... XD). Mainly it's my own perfectionist tendencies - getting a perfect Poke to train, with the right Nature and IVs, any egg moves etc., can be a real pain, and very frustrating and time consuming. I do still enjoy the Pokemon breeding aspect a lot, but I enjoyed training Pokemon and seeing them evolve, too, and now it just feels like a waste to put a lot of time into training something with a horrible Nature or stats.
It's sucked the fun out of catching legendaries, too. It used to be, I'd finally catch one with my upteenth Ultra Ball, and just be really happy. Now it's catch it, check the Nature, check the IVs, that's no good, soft reset and try again. Even when I do get a decent one (by which time I may have just got sick of seeing the thing), I can't even rush out to test out my new acquisition without saving first and reseting afterwards, otherwise I'll have to worry about messing up EVs and needing to fix them later. There are loads of legendaries I haven't even bothered to catch because it now feels more like work than fun.

I know, I know. It's my own fault, and I don't have to care about these things. But now I'm aware the mechanics are there, I find it impossible not to.

I really disliked the new EXP system, too, as well as the Dream World's near constant refusal to work on my PC. And Cheren and Bianca ended up annoying me to death, still haven't finished White.

As far as grinding goes, I do have less patience than I used to, but when I'm doing that in Pokemon, I'll usually be on the internet at the same time, and not even looking at the DS screen. The sound effects and music make it easy to tell what's going on, even if a shiny pops up.