Paper Mario SS or NSMB2 (or both)?

#1DOAsaturnPosted 12/5/2012 8:08:11 AM
Hey guys, I have held off on the two new Mario games for now, but am itching to give at least one of them a go. I've played most of the NSMB series and enjoyed it for the most part but have heard some criticism of the new game (mostly it being "unoriginal" or "stale", which doesn't really bother me if that's the only real drawback, since it's supposed to be a typical Mario platformer). I've also never played a Paper Mario game but it looks interesting from what I've seen of it.

I'm mostly concerned with a decent amount of replay value, longevity and reasonable challenge.
---
weekendroady.com
#2stargazer64Posted 12/5/2012 8:21:15 AM
Tough call. NSMB2 isn't very challenging until the last secret world, or if you really get into maximizing your coins in Coin Rush mode. It's a decent 2D platformer.

Sticker Star has divided people almost down the middle so it's hard to say if you'll enjoy it.
---
What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.
#3StephenYap3Posted 12/5/2012 8:28:40 AM
I'd say Paper Mario. It has a good enough replay value, pretty long enough, and has some challenge, the last which has been scarce in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and Super Paper Mario. It also has a more in-depth strategy in battles, which made the game fun to play.

New Super Mario Bros 2...um, not sure about that one. This one fills only a piece of the three things you mentioned: Replay Value, Length, and Challenge. There's not a lot to do after getting 100% completion, you'll beat the game in no time, and the challenge doesn't seem to peak. Although not a worthy buy at $40 and not one of the best Mario titles around, it's still a good game.
---
Spam Musubi = Super Mushroom :D
#4DOAsaturn(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 8:38:29 AM
Hmm, so maybe Sticker Star offers more depth, replay for the money? I am fearful that I'd blow right through NSMB2. I found 3D Land to be pretty easy, so is NSMB2 easier?
---
weekendroady.com
#5stargazer64Posted 12/5/2012 8:45:11 AM
DOAsaturn posted...
Hmm, so maybe Sticker Star offers more depth, replay for the money? I am fearful that I'd blow right through NSMB2. I found 3D Land to be pretty easy, so is NSMB2 easier?

Yes, you'd probably 100% NSMB2 in 15 hours. Coin rush and DLC may add to replay value if you are interested.
---
What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.
#6ZeldaMaster435Posted 12/5/2012 11:23:36 AM
It also has a more in-depth strategy in battles, which made the game fun to play.

LMAO. You can't be serious right? SS has zero strategy, and probably features the easiest turn based battles of any RPG I've ever played.

I beat SS in 12 hours, and the only post game content is performing common tasks over and over to get these flags that serve as achievements. No actual rewards, no skill required. Replayability is probably the lowest of any Mario RPG because there is no character growth or choice whatsoever. (Not to mention you probably won't want to replay it because the gameplay is so dull and it doesn't have a story.)

NSMB2, while phoned in completely, is still a competent and well made platformer. SS is not a competent or well made RPG. NSMB2 certainly has more stimulating gameplay, and it will probably give you more gameplay hours too.
---
yeap
#7logans_run_82Posted 12/5/2012 11:28:52 AM
I bought sticker star yesterday. I'm enjoying the hell out of it thus far, and I was one of those people that seriously protested its dramatic changes.
---
The Opposite of a great truth is also true -- Niels Bohr
3DS Friend Code: 4296-3151-0091
#8StephenYap3Posted 12/5/2012 11:44:36 AM
ZeldaMaster435 posted...
LMAO. You can't be serious right? SS has zero strategy, and probably features the easiest turn based battles of any RPG I've ever played.

Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time says "Hi".
---
#9StephenYap3Posted 12/5/2012 11:45:59 AM
DOAsaturn posted...

To be honest, I found 3D Land slightly easier than NSMB2.
---