Who says the 3DS doesn't have any open world games?

#71squatch22Posted 12/8/2012 3:00:42 PM
Megaman Omega posted...
the_NGW posted...
Mario Kart an open world game...are you ****ing trolling? You are either trolling or dumber than dirt.

He's fanboying.

You should know all about fanboying. lol!

THIS! lol
---
LineTroll posted: Mario Galaxy is just like a Sonic game.
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#72gransPosted 12/8/2012 5:37:37 PM(edited)
As if they're not going to explain it all anyway.

They're not stupid enough to leave a bunch of fans in the dark, everything that you need to know will be explained in III without having had ever played DDD.

It's just bad business otherwise.

Of course they're going to explain it all. Having recaps of previous games is Kingdom Hearts tradition. It has absolutely nothing to do with their place and importance in the canon. Was KH1 a spinoff despite the fact that KH2 recaps its events? No and it's ignorant to think so. KH3D has recaps of most of the games in the series, KH3 will surely do the same. If we go by your logic of spinoffs being unimportant to the plot, then you can also ignore the explanation provided ingame and still not be lost. You may as well just skip full main games and call them spinoffs just because they're recapped in the latest game. But all you're doing in that statement is admitting the game's contents are of extreme importance to the core plot if they have to be explained (recap or not) to understand what's going on in a sequel.

KH3D's plot functions in a similar manner to Chain of Memories. Though in a superior way due to the nature of the new Disney worlds and having more relevance to the primary antagonist whereas CoM used mostly filler repeat worlds and a somewhat irrelevant villain to the main canon. But they both link two numbered games together and help transition you from the previous game while also setting the groundwork for the next. They are also vital to the plots and regardless of recaps, you would be lost to tons of important plot elements in KH2 if you chose to completely ignore the plot of Chain of Memories (either the game or the recap). And you WILL be lost in KH3 if you choose to ignore the plot of 3D.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#73PsychoWolfXPosted 12/8/2012 5:39:29 PM
Argh4430 posted...
I'm still waiting for my Diablo-esque game to come to 3DS, Heroes of Ruin just couldn't fit the bill. I'll even take a Phantasy Star game if it's all we'll get.

^ This this a thousand times this.

I also wouldn't mind a GTA game on the 3DS. Guess I can always find a copy of China Town Wars for the original DS, but I would like to see a new one.
#74Robot_SoopaPosted 12/8/2012 6:46:09 PM
grans posted...
If we go by your logic of spinoffs being unimportant to the plot

Not going to bother continuing passed this. Never said this. In fact I said the contrary and provided an example for how it's still a spin-off.
#75gransPosted 12/8/2012 7:41:06 PM(edited)
grans posted...
If we go by your logic of spinoffs being unimportant to the plot

Not going to bother continuing passed this. Never said this. In fact I said the contrary and provided an example for how it's still a spin-off.

If you'd like to use that convenient copout to avoid having to back your statements up, fine. But you really said nothing of the sort. In fact you said in a post above that you "guarantee you won't have to play KH3D to understand KH3". I don't know how else to take that comment except that you think KH3D will be largely irrelevant to KH3. It's pretty hard to take such a comment seriously when KH3D directly sets up what is going to happen in KH3 and even formally introduces new characters or motivations into the mix.

Without at least a recap of it, you won't understand important elements of KH3. You also claim "it'll be explained anyways without you having played it". Yes, and that goes for the main games such as KH1 and KH2. KH3D has plot summaries for the previous KH games, so one can argue you don't need to have played any of those either. The ability to explain a game via a summary does not make that game a spinoff.

I also don't see your supposed examples for how it's a spinoff either, besides what "gaming media" tells you (using Chain of Memories as an example only destroys your argument, it's not a spinoff). It's not a side story or unrelated to the main plot, it's the next step forward in the main plot and is crucial to the story. Whoever says it's a spinoff does not know the definition of the word, it's not a fear on our part, simply knowing better what the definition of a word is. That's the entire problem with your argument, you haven't made a distinction as to what makes something a spinoff or a main game in a series. In what way is KH3D a spinoff but KH2 isn't? I hope your answer isn't just "because it's not named Kingdom Hearts 3" like many people on the KH series boards.
---
-Granville
#76Robot_SoopaPosted 12/8/2012 7:36:59 PM
grans posted...
If you'd like to use that convenient copout to avoid having to back your statements up, fine. But you really said nothing of the sort.

Try again: Robot_Soopa posted...
"In media, a spin-off is a radio program, television program, video game, or any narrative work, derived from one or more already existing works, that focuses, in particular, in more detail on one aspect of that original work (e.g. a particular topic, character, or event). A spin-off may be called a sidequel when it exists in the same chronological frame of time as its predecessor work."

This paragraph pretty much describes DDD to a T.

It's pretty hard to take such a comment seriously when KH3D directly sets up what is going to happen in KH3 and even formally introduces new characters or motivations into the mix. Without at least a recap of it, you won't understand important elements of KH3. And just because something can be recapped, again it doesn't mean it's a spinoff. Almost the entire story of KH1 was recapped in both Chain of Memories and KH2, that doesn't make something a spinoff.

You just described Chain of Memories to me and this is a joke if we're going to pretend Chain of Memories isn't a spin-off.

I've already explained that a game can directly continue the story and still be a spin-off from the main series.
#77Frozenx07Posted 12/8/2012 7:52:16 PM
Argh4430 posted...
I'm still waiting for my Diablo-esque game to come to 3DS, Heroes of Ruin just couldn't fit the bill. I'll even take a Phantasy Star game if it's all we'll get.

The 3DS is in desperate need of a good hack 'n' slash dungeon crawler. I would love to have Diablo or Phantasy Star. The only glimmer of hope is Monster Hunter.
---
Animal Crossing: City Folk
John Atlantis 0132-8718-5558
#78gransPosted 12/8/2012 8:01:13 PM
You just described Chain of Memories to me and this is a joke if we're going to pretend Chain of Memories isn't a spin-off.

I've already explained that a game can directly continue the story and still be a spin-off from the main series.

Your own definition does not even fit KH3D's plot at all. It progresses the MAIN story, not a side event that is unrelated to the central conflict. I'm skeptical that you played KH3D or know anything about what happens in it at least.

If KH3D is a spinoff, then so is KH2. It fits the exact same definition that you're trying to pull.
---
-Granville
#79Robot_SoopaPosted 12/8/2012 8:08:10 PM
A spin-off may be called a sidequel when it exists in the same chronological frame of time as its predecessor work

A spin-off may be called a sidequel when it exists in the same chronological frame of time as its predecessor work

#80MetalLokiPosted 12/8/2012 8:10:51 PM
Robot_Soopa posted...

It's not a sidequest, it has at least 3 important plot points that are needed and are moving the story forward. 365/2 is a sidestory.
---
The official Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
Official Cookies 'n Cream/Shimapan fan of the IDF/NDF