Is Classic Games Overload Card & Puzzle Edition any good?

#1Willie_MakeitPosted 12/6/2012 2:05:13 PM
I'm kinda iffy about buying card and puzzle games on the E-Shop. They're usually hit or misses, but this one looked like it had a bunch of great games I like(Texas Hold'em, and Mahjong to name a couple). Is it worth the $30 price tag or should I pass on this one? I haven't really seen much else this week worth buying.
---
Sig is currently under construction. Deal with it.
#2Willie_Makeit(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 2:19:55 PM
Bump? I'm sure there's a few people that bought it.
---
#3Darkstorm16Posted 12/6/2012 2:43:15 PM
Truthfully idk but games like that people tend to ignore because it's deemed "shovelware" thats been overused on games that basically some people like that most don't, truthfully I'd like to know but I doubt we'll ever find out soo if you can afford the gamble I'd say go for it.
---
Current Systems: 3DS, DSlite, IPod Touch
If There is Evil in this world it lurks in the hearts of Man- Tales of Phantasia
#4DOAsaturnPosted 12/6/2012 2:56:51 PM
Wow - surprised to see a topic on this one.

I ordered it directly from Telegames. I tend to collect games too, so I try to spot ones that are oddball or potentially rare and nab them early with all intention of playing them. I end up with a pretty eclectic mix of games most people don't usually own (but you find some real gems - Cradle of Rome 2 is a truly addicting 3DS puzzle title no one knows about).

Anyway, this one isn't bad. Lots of casual time wasting appeal. It's so much better than 50 Classic Games if your looking for a compilation game like this. I've played both and 50 Classic Games is so cheaply done compared to this. Nothing overly impressive here but a lot of variety and content and doesn't feel like a waste of money like 50CG. I think Telegames even got local multiplayer (download share) into the game, so it has that option too.

I wouldn't call this shovelware, 50CG is shovelware because it's, for the most part, crap. This does what it is supposed to do (pack in a load of card and puzzle games) and does it just fine. That's not shovelware, in my opinion.
---
weekendroady.com
#5Darkstorm16Posted 12/6/2012 3:02:47 PM
DOAsaturn posted...

I ordered it directly from Telegames. I tend to collect games too, so I try to spot ones that are oddball or potentially rare and nab them early with all intention of playing them. I end up with a pretty eclectic mix of games most people don't usually own (but you find some real gems - Cradle of Rome 2 is a truly addicting 3DS puzzle title no one knows about).

Anyway, this one isn't bad. Lots of casual time wasting appeal. It's so much better than 50 Classic Games if your looking for a compilation game like this. I've played both and 50 Classic Games is so cheaply done compared to this. Nothing overly impressive here but a lot of variety and content and doesn't feel like a waste of money like 50CG. I think Telegames even got local multiplayer (download share) into the game, so it has that option too.

I wouldn't call this shovelware, 50CG is shovelware because it's, for the most part, crap. This does what it is supposed to do (pack in a load of card and puzzle games) and does it just fine. That's not shovelware, in my opinion.

I know personally i loved Touch Master 2 and they called it shovelware....partially i think its a term over used
---
Current Systems: 3DS, DSlite, IPod Touch
If There is Evil in this world it lurks in the hearts of Man- Tales of Phantasia
#6Willie_Makeit(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 3:08:22 PM
DOAsaturn posted...

Thanks. Maybe I'll take a gamble on it. Sometimes these collections are really good, but like I said, it's a hit or miss usually.
---
#7j_darrellPosted 12/7/2012 1:26:33 AM(edited)
I downloaded it today, it's Ultimate Card Games DS (and includes tons of mahjong solitaire, simple tangrams, and simple jigsaw), with updated details and presentation. There should be lots of reviews for the GBA version, or on Amazon.

I think the classic part of Ultimate Card Games (Hearts, Euchre, Crib, etc.) is the most in depth feature, if you just want to play cards then the AI is fun. For the 200+ solitaire games each has an in-game manual and options, and the eshop menu seemed to do an okay crash course / overview for non-solitaire games (skimmed it for a few seconds looking for poker options).

Since you mentioned Mahjong Solitaire and Hold 'Em...

Mahjong is 3D Mahjong (DSiWare) with the updated details/presentation:
http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/2010/08/3d_mahjong_dsiware

Hold 'Em is a 5-player tournament mode, looks like it's only one or two tables. Unfortunately the AI is subpar (their bets seem completely random to me, which is brutal in No Limit when everyone starts with $1000 and $1/$2 blinds). Every Poker variant seems to be no-limit (or I can't figure out how to change the options). Anyway, it would be great with good AI, but the way it is probably just good for an occasional quick Poker fix. The bet slider isn't very good, so you'll use the dpad for setting most raises, which is boring. Maybe a chip icon where you could drag chips would be better. Obviously I've never tried the Local Wireless.

The game selection menu is really nice here, you can quickly pick cards, jigsaw puzzles, tangrams, etc.; then a category such as Freecell or Easy, [Edit: Then hit the random button to choose a random game within that category]. So I'm switching games a lot minute to minute and the auto-save seems to be excellent so far.