Two things I'd like to know

#1Darkstorm16Posted 12/6/2012 3:38:25 PM(edited)
1. any good arcade racers for the ds or 3ds that plays like Pole Position?

2. What happened to the good ol' rpgs that I used to love where it's all town to town collecting weapons beat the big demon in a cave or something by a town, move onto the next town saving the whole world? I miss those days and want more of those, the SNES and GBA were filled with them, I dont remember any on the 64, Gamecube had some, DS had some but now I have a weird feeling its going to be barren >.<.

3. ....Is Kingdom Hearts considered rpg or Action Adventure? I'm just curious ^-^

4. Besides Plants vs. Zombies how are Bloons TD? and any other good Tower Defenses? Not sure if Dillon's Rolling Western is good or worth the moolah.
---
Current Systems: 3DS, DSlite, IPod Touch
If There is Evil in this world it lurks in the hearts of Man- Tales of Phantasia
#2TgirlPosted 12/6/2012 4:12:02 PM(edited)
I can answer two out of the four since I don't really play racers and Dillon's Rolling Western is on my 3DS wishlist, but not an urgent buy for me. (So, I can't even tell you anything about it.)

2. What happened to the good ol' rpgs that I used to love where it's all town to town collecting weapons beat the big demon in a cave or something by a town, move onto the next town saving the whole world? I miss those days and want more of those, the SNES and GBA were filled with them, I dont remember any on the 64, Gamecube had some, DS had some but now I have a weird feeling its going to be barren >.<.

It's called technology. When game developers discovered new technology that can make more powerful looking games, they decided "screw 16 bit era" designing. Thus, games these days take longer to develop compared to when they use to be. They can also feel less epic putting more emphasis on graphics than quality. I also blame the existence of Flash for some lazy game development making. Still, technology has also given us chances to make our own games and for small time indie developers to make their own. Which is why, I'm so glad I bought Cave Story from the eshop. It nostalgically reminds me of a combination between "Lagoon" (SNES) and "UN Squadron FX" (SNES -- in terms of weaponry upgrades minus purchasing them).

I don't know why Nintendo doesn't release a lot of their SNES/GB/GBA/GC/64 onto their VC that can be both accessible via the 3DS and Wii. I'm sure the 3DS is capable of most games N64 and under. However, knowing that Nintendo are stubborn fools, it will always be Japan first, everyone is second rule.

If we can get more games like Cave Story, that would be nice. Even the Rayman Origins demo was a refreshing feel of the old days of platforming.

3. ....Is Kingdom Hearts considered rpg or Action Adventure? I'm just curious ^-^

Action RPG ---- It features RPG elements, while maintaining some platforming elements.
---
kh-info-block.tumblr.com [read] [educate] [understand]
#3Darkstorm16(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 4:15:55 PM
Tgirl posted...
I can answer two out of the four since I don't really play racers and Dillon's Rolling Western is on my 3DS wishlist, but not an urgent buy for me. (So, I can't even tell you anything about it.)

It's called technology. When game developers discovered new technology that can make more powerful looking games, they decided "screw 16 bit era" designing. Thus, games these days take longer to develop compared to when they use to be. They can also feel less epic putting more emphasis on graphics than quality. I also blame the existence of Flash for some lazy game development making. Still, technology has also given us chances to make our own games and for small time indie developers to make their own. Which is why, I'm so glad I bought Cave Story from the eshop. It nostalgically reminds me of a combination between "Lagoon" (SNES) and "UN Squadron FX" (SNES -- in terms of weaponry upgrades minus purchasing them).

I don't know why Nintendo doesn't release a lot of their SNES/GB/GBA/GC/64 onto their VC that can be both accessible via the 3DS and Wii. I'm sure the 3DS is capable of most games N64 and under. However, knowing that Nintendo are stubborn fools, it will always be Japan first, everyone is second rule.

If we can get more games like Cave Story, that would be nice. Even the Rayman Origins demo was a refreshing feel of the old days of platforming.

Action RPG ---- It features RPG elements, while maintaining some platforming elements.

How is Rayman Origins on here, and also I always looked at Kingdom Hearts as a variation of The Legend of Zelda style...thats why I asked xD lol
---
If There is Evil in this world it lurks in the hearts of Man- Tales of Phantasia
#4Darkstorm16(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 4:18:48 PM
And I do realize....my topic does not match my questions....I thought of a few questions but couldnt change the title....>.<

How is Rayman Origins btw?
---
#5TgirlPosted 12/6/2012 4:32:05 PM
Darkstorm16 posted...

How is Rayman Origins on here, and also I always looked at Kingdom Hearts as a variation of The Legend of Zelda style...thats why I asked xD lol

KH is sort of, but not quite at the same time. Zelda contains HP in a form of hearts, but you don't "level up". You get more hearts, which is pretty similar to how a lot of other action/adventure/platforming games went. Also, Zelda use to not have save points. You just press "start" and woolah. Save at the same spot.

I did get into a debate with someone in the TP forum about whether Zelda was an RPG or not. ^__^ I understand their viewpoints, but for me, having grown up with the series but stop playing it once 64 era was done, I never once thought of it as an RPG compared to a game like "Lagoon". Not once.

I consider Zelda a bit "special" per say. It's half-way to an RPG, but not quite at the same time. That's where I put it.

KH, on the other hand, has a save point from the very beginning, has a continuous on-going storyline from the beginning, makes you level up (to only 99 -wahh) from the very beginning, makes use of final bosses and secret bosses, collect-a-thon items, etc. I could go on. Er.. Yeah. *rubs back of head*

Darkstorm16 posted...
And I do realize....my topic does not match my questions....I thought of a few questions but couldnt change the title....>.<

The demo was fun and can be a bit hard, if you're not good with platforming. However, it was a big breather compared to playing the demo of Mario 3D Land in Target, which was short and easy. Thus, I'm sure Rayman Origins is worth a play. I would recommend you to just simply download the demo from the eshop and try it out yourself.

For me though, I'm going to wait for a major sale, buy it used, or wait for the price to go down a little bit. (See, I have my eyes set on Layton once I reach the end of KH:DDD..... Rayman can wait. I never played any of his games in the 90s.)
---
#6Darkstorm16(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 4:38:28 PM
Tgirl posted...
Darkstorm16 posted...

KH is sort of, but not quite at the same time. Zelda contains HP in a form of hearts, but you don't "level up". You get more hearts, which is pretty similar to how a lot of other action/adventure/platforming games went. Also, Zelda use to not have save points. You just press "start" and woolah. Save at the same spot.

I did get into a debate with someone in the TP forum about whether Zelda was an RPG or not. ^__^ I understand their viewpoints, but for me, having grown up with the series but stop playing it once 64 era was done, I never once thought of it as an RPG compared to a game like "Lagoon". Not once.

I consider Zelda a bit "special" per say. It's half-way to an RPG, but not quite at the same time. That's where I put it.

KH, on the other hand, has a save point from the very beginning, has a continuous on-going storyline from the beginning, makes you level up (to only 99 -wahh) from the very beginning, makes use of final bosses and secret bosses, collect-a-thon items, etc. I could go on. Er.. Yeah. *rubs back of head*

Darkstorm16 posted...

The demo was fun and can be a bit hard, if you're not good with platforming. However, it was a big breather compared to playing the demo of Mario 3D Land in Target, which was short and easy. Thus, I'm sure Rayman Origins is worth a play. I would recommend you to just simply download the demo from the eshop and try it out yourself.

For me though, I'm going to wait for a major sale, buy it used, or wait for the price to go down a little bit. (See, I have my eyes set on Layton once I reach the end of KH:DDD..... Rayman can wait. I never played any of his games in the 90s.)

lol we are alike then, currently I'm saving some money for another handheld or console not sure which I can get to first lol (even a used console >.<), anyways I do get amazon credit which Im saving for AFTER the holidays I'm debating wether I should get Shinobi, a DS game, GBA game or some other 3DS game lol. I tried the demo and loved it but I keep hearing people mention Frames per second is laggy or whatever and idk, it kinda confused me and it makes me go...ehh what if its not good visually further on? I am curious on SM3DL only because I heard its ultra difficult towards the end. My problem is I came from the NES era so I suppose I'm spoiled on gameplay, the only Rayman I ever played was for the 64 and I loved it, although now I wish I had it again. As for RPGs I'm trying to adapt to the new world of RPGS but I still favor my old games like Chrono Trigger still...it's hard.
---
#7TgirlPosted 12/6/2012 5:02:36 PM(edited)
^
In terms of DS, if you don't mind a "furry" action RPG anime-ish game, I highly HIGHLY recommend Solatorobo. It's one of my favorite DS games. The only slight downside is that the gameplay can be a tad easy, however, the environment and everything about it is awesome. There are both story and optional quests available.

Anyways, back onto the subject of hand. Yeah, I've heard reports of Rayman lagging/animation issues too. I'm not too worried about it since I've played other games that had some lag issues. I would only get worried if the lagging is severe (like every minute = unplayable for anyone). As long as the gameplay, itself, is stellar, then shouldn't be too much of a problem. However, it's good to be cautious I guess. That's just my 2 cents.

As for SM 3DL, I hear it's probably one of the better "3DS" Mario games that's available compared to any of the ones with "New" attached to it. So, you may be okay with it. ^_^ The demo version almost gave me an SM64 vibe, but it went by quickly that I didn't even let it sink in.

(For me, I really am avoiding a lot of Nintendo's Mario 3DS games since whenever I look at them, I get a bit of an underwhelming feel with them. Luigi's Mansion may change that depending on how good it is.)

As for old school RPGs, and the rest, you probably have to be a little more patient for others to come out----if any. Or maybe, more old-school ones to come out on the VC?
I really am disappointed that a lot of them are not on there. I know they're available for the DS, retail wise, but I think they're small enough to download too? Well, who knows. You may get lucky by 2013, if Nintendo got smarter?

Although, I'm mostly with the SNES era, the NES era was still part of my childhood too. My babysitter had an NES in her room. Played Mario Bros. 3 on it. Collected some of the Nintendo comics because of her. I think Nintendo really had its shining spotlight back in the late 80s/90s. Sadly, they don't make 'em like they use to, but you have to adapt to the changes. (They should at least port over Duck Hunt. :P Hit ducks with a stylus. Yes?)

I did not really grow up much with RPGs on Nintendo back then. I think Lagoon was the extent on it, but I didn't know it was an ARPG until I got older.
---
#8Darkstorm16(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 7:00:37 PM
Tgirl posted...
^
In terms of DS, if you don't mind a "furry" action RPG anime-ish game, I highly HIGHLY recommend Solatorobo. It's one of my favorite DS games. The only slight downside is that the gameplay can be a tad easy, however, the environment and everything about it is awesome. There are both story and optional quests available.

Anyways, back onto the subject of hand. Yeah, I've heard reports of Rayman lagging/animation issues too. I'm not too worried about it since I've played other games that had some lag issues. I would only get worried if the lagging is severe (like every minute = unplayable for anyone). As long as the gameplay, itself, is stellar, then shouldn't be too much of a problem. However, it's good to be cautious I guess. That's just my 2 cents.

As for SM 3DL, I hear it's probably one of the better "3DS" Mario games that's available compared to any of the ones with "New" attached to it. So, you may be okay with it. ^_^ The demo version almost gave me an SM64 vibe, but it went by quickly that I didn't even let it sink in.

(For me, I really am avoiding a lot of Nintendo's Mario 3DS games since whenever I look at them, I get a bit of an underwhelming feel with them. Luigi's Mansion may change that depending on how good it is.)

As for old school RPGs, and the rest, you probably have to be a little more patient for others to come out----if any. Or maybe, more old-school ones to come out on the VC?
I really am disappointed that a lot of them are not on there. I know they're available for the DS, retail wise, but I think they're small enough to download too? Well, who knows. You may get lucky by 2013, if Nintendo got smarter?

Although, I'm mostly with the SNES era, the NES era was still part of my childhood too. My babysitter had an NES in her room. Played Mario Bros. 3 on it. Collected some of the Nintendo comics because of her. I think Nintendo really had its shining spotlight back in the late 80s/90s. Sadly, they don't make 'em like they use to, but you have to adapt to the changes. (They should at least port over Duck Hunt. :P Hit ducks with a stylus. Yes?)

I did not really grow up much with RPGs on Nintendo back then. I think Lagoon was the extent on it, but I didn't know it was an ARPG until I got older.

lol I was into NES because my mom gave it to me after she got one herself after my uncle kept taking his back from us, but my full official system that lasted me long was my SNES.....how loved the thing :'(
---
#9TgirlPosted 12/7/2012 2:22:51 PM
^ Yeah. The SNES = love all the way. That's why I still have mine. However, I'm afraid my old TV may go one day replaced by a flat panel HD TV. D: Thus, I might as well chain my fat TV to the floor and pray it lives the 21st century until Nintendo ports over every single game into the 3DS. =,= I'm not even sure if my SNES is still working. My N64 died like two years ago... *sniff*
---
#10Darkstorm16(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 2:38:01 PM
Tgirl posted...
^ Yeah. The SNES = love all the way. That's why I still have mine. However, I'm afraid my old TV may go one day replaced by a flat panel HD TV. D: Thus, I might as well chain my fat TV to the floor and pray it lives the 21st century until Nintendo ports over every single game into the 3DS. =,= I'm not even sure if my SNES is still working. My N64 died like two years ago... *sniff*

I recently sold all my consoles because im unsure of their ability to work, to bad i lack money for a newer console but i wish i could find a gamecube , ps2 or a psp in my price range. I really thought i could go all handheld but i couldnt.
---