The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

3ds or 3ds XL?

#1ender_gamer500Posted 12/7/2012 1:38:02 AM
I've had my original DS since launch and I think it's time for an upgrade. From what I've read opinions seem to be split on whether the bigger screens are a good thing or a bad thing.

Assuming money is no object, which do you recommend?
#2KingPeovizZPosted 12/7/2012 1:50:14 AM
Go to the nearest shop and try it yourself .
#3megaponderPosted 12/7/2012 2:59:44 AM
Don't need to think. Just buy it.
#4BrianCraigSmithPosted 12/7/2012 3:04:16 AM
First go to a store (in this case a video game store) and compare a DSi to a DSi XL. Then compare a 3DS to a 3DS XL. Believe it or not, the 3DS XL is actually smaller than the DSi XL; but I still loved playing that big bulky DSi XL. The 3DS XL is a huge improvement over the DSi XL; the web browser for instance is so much better. Personally the 3DS made me squint on the small screen to see anything that was going on, and with the XL I don't have that problem. I don't care much for the 3D though.
---
PSN: Handsomistic1
3DS: 1263-5501-9059
#5Agent_XoaPosted 12/7/2012 3:20:06 AM
Most people I've talked to recommend the XL over the standard 3DS, the only thing worse about the XL would be the small increase in jaggies due to the larger screen and the fact that it's less portable.

Like the others said, there's some things up to preference so it'd be a good idea to really try one out for yourself.
---
"Patience is the darkest side of power."
#6GLDanzegoPosted 12/7/2012 5:32:15 AM
Agent_Xoa posted...
Most people I've talked to recommend the XL over the standard 3DS, the only thing worse about the XL would be the small increase in jaggies due to the larger screen and the fact that it's less portable.

Like the others said, there's some things up to preference so it'd be a good idea to really try one out for yourself.

I wouldn't say that's the only thing. The speakers on the original are much better and gives the sound more depth (not everyone likes to use headphones). Of course, there's the matter of portability, if that's a concern and depending on how you plan on hauling the thing around. :)
#7briankaPosted 12/7/2012 5:53:18 AM
I made the change by trading in my original 3DS for the XL. I have absolutely no regrets. I can't believe the difference in viewing pleasure.

I look at my son's 3DS, and I can't believe I found that acceptable before seeing the XL.

Even playing the Ambassador games and others designed for the smaller DS screen are not that bad. I keep forgetting the key sequence to start the old games in their original screen size because I don't see a pressing need to do so.

I'd say go for the XL.
---
3DS FC: 0989-1868-2072
Lookin' for friends
#8kyle78Posted 12/7/2012 8:46:19 AM(edited)
Go for the XL, and if you have a frys electronics around you they're 159.99. Sale is good until Thursday the 13th. If they are all out, get a rain check.You can also get the blue XL, with Mario kart 7 installed for 179.99. Again sale good through the 13th.
---
Obama care: Punishment for the working class.
#9Black_AssassinPosted 12/7/2012 8:51:39 AM
megaponder posted...
Don't need to think.

Gentlemen, I present you the 3DS board.
#10MadTimPosted 12/7/2012 9:31:01 AM
megaponder posted...
Don't need to think. Just buy it.

Kinda funny a guy named MegaPONDER would discourage pondering.
---
"I'm not doing it because all the cool kids are doing it, I'm doing it because I'm a cool kid."