is it true that female gamers prefer the normal 3DS over the XL ?

#11stridermeisPosted 12/7/2012 7:47:26 AM(edited)
I have a 3ds from launch and an xl. My girlfriend has a 3ds from shortly after launch. When the xl came out I got really excited because I had a dsi xl and loved it. She didn't seem to care about the xl at all. I tried to convince her and get her to share the excitement with me, but she was fine with her 3ds.
Although to be fair, she only uses it to play Zelda and kingdom hearts, so I guess she would be considered a casual gamer since she only but 2 - 5 games a year.

---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#12adampeltzPosted 12/7/2012 7:57:16 AM
stargazer64 posted...
Surprised at the level of maturity in this thread thus far.

Agreed.

Do you know what handheld systems she's owned in the past? If she's enjoyed a DSiXL, you know she'll be cool with the bigger model.

Personally, I'm putting off upgrading from my original 3DS after just plunking down cash on a Wii U, but I consider the XL to be more ergonomic with its rounded edges and the feel of the matte finish in my hands. For me, that's the determining factor more than anything else.

I doubt it's that much heavier, it's just a bit bulky. I would think it's less of a problem for girls who usually just put it a handbag. Also, everyone here seems to enjoy the larger model more. I'd say go with it.
---
XBL gamertag: Peltz | Wii U NNID: Peltz-0
3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691.
#13nikowwfPosted 12/7/2012 8:18:43 AM
I want to say it but i don't want to be first....sigh...
#14pakathecatPosted 12/7/2012 8:23:41 AM(edited)
dancer62 posted...
I don't know about other women, I'm happy with my Flame Red 3DS.

Ditto. I've not yet played the XL though (had a DSi XL, however). The improved battery life does appeal to me though, and I admit I like the pink XL and am tempted by it (though it is only on HSN and eBay that I've seen, and pricey). Anyways, happy with my flame red, only complaint would be that the directional pad is a little uncomfortable to use. But then, I'm an adult woman with fairly large hands for one.

ETA: Also, the regular model is certainly easier to take on the go.
#15Bahamut_10thPosted 12/7/2012 8:28:20 AM
That's because 'bigger is better' is more commonly a male mentality than a female one.
#16SuzuTitorPosted 12/7/2012 8:28:36 AM
I've played both models extensively. I love my original purple 3DS for many reasons. However, the XL is the one that gives me less cramps in the end, though that depends on the game.
This is coming from a girl with tiny hands, by the way.
---
3DS FC - 0688-6401-1227
#17Freelance_WolfPosted 12/7/2012 9:39:05 AM
I'm a girl and I also don't need to get an XL.
---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."
#18CVNut13Posted 12/7/2012 9:42:33 AM
I'm perfectly happy with my Aqua Blue 3DS. When I first saw the 3DS XL I thought it looked like a Leapfrog thing, but then after seeing it in person and goofing around on it, I have to say, I really like it. Not so much as to upgrade, though. Just go with a regular 3DS if need be. I'm sure she'll like it more because it could fit into her purse or pocket better (as with how I cart around my 3DS).
#19danny5329(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 10:55:28 AM
read through each and all of the replies.

Seems like you girls are perfectly fine with the vanilla 3DS :)

Thanks a bunch for your opinions and time. Anyone else would like to add to the topic ?

For now i guess i might just go with the normal 3DS for her. Maybe a purple one.
---
My Body Is Ready for........
2nd Super Robot Taisen OG
#20pomebearPosted 12/7/2012 11:14:54 AM
I have the regular 3DS, but it was before I even knew there was going to be an XL. Having tried the XL a couple of times I've decided that sometime in the future (when they come out with better colors...) I will be getting one.

But really, it's a matter of preference.