Layton vs Virtue Last Reward

#1JulesNeciPosted 12/7/2012 1:35:22 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking for a good puzzle game to play, and naturally Layton and VLR ended up top of my list.
I can only afford one now, but I'll eventually get to the other soon enough.
Which game should I play first? How long are they?

Thank you

Neci
#2pokemonmaster0Posted 12/7/2012 1:48:57 PM
Have you played either series before? Layton you should at least play last specter, and VLR you should play 999 if possible. They both are self contained but it's still best to play previous games.
#3TheZuperHeroPosted 12/7/2012 1:49:49 PM
I think this depends on your history with both series. If you haven't played 999 on the DS, I would say wait on Virtue's Last Reward. Likewise, if you've never played a Layton game, this might not want to be the point of the series to start from. But, aside from that, if you are looking for a game for puzzles, I'd say Layton because the focus is more on the puzzles (while VLR is much more story heavy) and there's a new puzzle every day with Layton until late next year!
---
Currently Playing: Pokemon White 2, Fire Emblem, Denpa Men
3DS Info: Jake - 4167-4549-4028 (Feel free to add me, message to be added back!)
#4JulesNeci(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 1:55:47 PM
No, I actually haven't played either 999 or any of the Layton games!
So where should I start?
And thank you for your prompt answers!
Neci
#5Koi_TenchiPosted 12/7/2012 1:56:19 PM
I agree with the other posters.

I played Layton games prior, but missed Last Specter and ended up a little confused near the end of this Layton. It wasn't a big deal, but it was worth noting. I still enjoyed the game a LOT though.

As far as VLR, I can't comment since I have yet to play it or it's prequel. I hope to do so one day though.
---
It's a secret to everybody.
#6surferguy7Posted 12/7/2012 1:59:38 PM
Do you like amazing puzzles and a great story? Get Layton.

Do you like an amazing story and great puzzles? Get Virtue's Last Reward.
---
This is the internet, all opinions are considered invalid.
#7malfionPosted 12/7/2012 2:04:34 PM
Get 999 for 20 bucks and Last Specter for about the same. Then, after you've beaten both, and played the hell out of the RPG side game in Last Specter, get Layton or VLR in any order.
---
http://i.imgflip.com/5mil.gif
#8Monkmaster79Posted 12/7/2012 2:12:24 PM
malfion posted...
Get 999 for 20 bucks and Last Specter for about the same. Then, after you've beaten both, and played the hell out of the RPG side game in Last Specter, get Layton or VLR in any order.

I second this suggestion. At least the 999/VLR half. I also haven't played a Layton game yet.
---
Fans. Crazy Titanic fans. - Junpei - 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors
Stop quoting people on my ignore list!
#9TheZuperHeroPosted 12/7/2012 4:14:10 PM
999 to VLR is pretty obvious, but for Layton I'd say play them in release order (Curious Village - Diabolical Box - Unwound Future - Last Specter - Miracle Mask) because of story things and just overall quality/mechanic differences that make it hard to go back.
---
Currently Playing: Pokemon White 2, Fire Emblem, Denpa Men
3DS Info: Jake - 4167-4549-4028 (Feel free to add me, message to be added back!)
#10nintendoman562Posted 12/7/2012 4:24:13 PM
I have both and VLR makes Layton look bad. If you can only get one, get VLR. If you plan on getting both, play Layton first.