Why get Monster Hunter when you have MMORPG on a PC? For example, Guild Wars?

#31DarkGam3rPosted 12/7/2012 5:05:08 PM
Monster Hunter is vastly different than that of MMORPGs.

Why would you compare them? It's like comparing apples with bananas when they're barely similar.

On topic: I like Monster Hunter better than any MMORPG I've ever played, and MMO's are just boring to me.
---
"I'm no hero."
#32iusefebrezePosted 12/7/2012 5:10:19 PM
Vincent_Core posted...
iusefebreze posted...
Vincent_Core posted...
iusefebreze posted...
arthur8642 posted...
Many people (like me) can't justify the cost of a gaming pc, while consoles and handhelds are much more reasonable in price.

You are so ignorant. The difference in cost is made up in the games. I'd spend maybe $200 a year buying 4-6 games for consoles. Now i've spent a total of maybe $100 this year and i've received maybe 40 games for PC.

here's an example
http://www.humblebundle.com/
saint's row 3
Titan quest
company of heros, opposing fronts, tales of valor
metro 2033
darksiders
red faction armageddon
all for less then $6

These games would cost $86 on consoles and that's excluding the games only availible for PC that are in the bundle.
The console prices are from amazon.

I have bought more games then I need and for a way lower price.

Master race strikes again.

Does it really offend you when someone chooses consoles over pc?

Only when they say it's cheaper to buy consoles. If they go with a better reason then no it does not.

Except it is cheaper to buy consoles that's a fact.

Maybe up front it's cheaper but in a 2 years time maybe 1 year you'll be spending way less money on games and probably having them last way longer because of mods.
---
The average anime character has 47 gallons of blood.
#33SpideymasterPosted 12/7/2012 5:13:09 PM
I think the simplest answer to TC's question is this: Preferences.

There are a slew of ways to play games because people prefer to play certain consoles more than others.

That, and the cost to play games on the 3DS is cheaper than it would be to play on a PC. That's not even my point, though.

If I'm to be honest, I'm still a bit puzzled as to why you asked why we would want to play a 3DS instead of playing different MMOs on a computer (It's a weird question), but hey, alright.
---
"If you want a story line, go read a book. If you want graphics, watch a movie. If you want to have fun, play a game." MetaYoshi64
#34GoldenFox98Posted 12/7/2012 5:25:09 PM
Monster Hunter series are action games, not RPGs. Get out of here with this non-sense.
---
Rainbow dolphins that leap out from a cloud of confetti?
Brilliant! - wikido
#35xXDeadWulfXxPosted 12/7/2012 5:56:18 PM
arthur8642 posted...
Many people (like me) can't justify the cost of a gaming pc, while consoles and handhelds are much more reasonable in price.

---
PSN: Shibuya_Reaper 3DS FC: 3668-7261-4909
Currently playing: FF6, Tales of the Abyss 3D
#36oORyuumaruOoPosted 12/7/2012 6:11:14 PM(edited)
GoldenFox98 posted...
Monster Hunter series are action games, not RPGs. Get out of here with this non-sense.

More like Action RPG. You take on quests to fight large boss type monsters, harvest their corpse for crafting arms and armor, there's an online component, you have Hunter Rankings which let's you take on higher tier quests the more you raise it -- like a leveling system, equipment stats, and lastly: grinding.

That said, sure, I could pick up an MMORPG but there's the matter of accessibility. Monster Hunter has it's own MMO( Monster Hunter Frontier ) but it's only available in Japan, I would give anything for a localization. But since it isn't localized, portable is the next best thing. I have it on the go and can play it whenever I want on the 3DSXL as opposed to toting a laptop around with me everywhere I go.

As for why Monster Hunter and not a similar looking massive multiplayer online action RPG, well...I guess the Monster Hunter franchise just has that unmatchable...uniqueness to it. I don't know, all it is, is that I would prefer Monster Hunter over Guild Wars, TERA, or RaiderZ on occasion.
---
PSN: MrSeizo
"Who's the toilette man now?"
#37Buttery_ToastPosted 12/7/2012 6:11:11 PM
Because my PC is a piece of crap compaq from 2005 and can't even run TF2.
---
My body is always Reggie.
Currently playing: Virtue's Last Reward
#38SunstarArasPosted 12/7/2012 6:23:53 PM
SoaringDive posted...
Monster Hunter has combat. PC MMORPGS don't (standing in place pressing your hot keys is not combat).

You clearly haven't played any new MMOs like Guild Wars 2....you certainly don't stand in place. It's extremely active and fast paced. Dodging is very important and you can cast spells and attack while in motion. It's actually no different from Monster Hunters combat. You can actually just do a lot more.

A lot of older MMOs do refuse to update their combat....most still have the same system they've used since like 2004....namely WoW. Don't judge all MMOs based on those though. Try out some new ones. Guild Wars 2 and the soon to come out Elder Scrolls Online really showcase how fast paced MMO combat can be.
#39lambchipsPosted 12/7/2012 7:25:58 PM
MH is nothing like guild wars... and most mmos in general
if anything monster hunter is more similar to vindictus than any mmo
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#40hhjghbhghnmhPosted 12/7/2012 7:35:42 PM
SunstarAras posted...
SoaringDive posted...
Monster Hunter has combat. PC MMORPGS don't (standing in place pressing your hot keys is not combat).

You clearly haven't played any new MMOs like Guild Wars 2....you certainly don't stand in place. It's extremely active and fast paced. Dodging is very important and you can cast spells and attack while in motion. It's actually no different from Monster Hunters combat. You can actually just do a lot more.

A lot of older MMOs do refuse to update their combat....most still have the same system they've used since like 2004....namely WoW. Don't judge all MMOs based on those though. Try out some new ones. Guild Wars 2 and the soon to come out Elder Scrolls Online really showcase how fast paced MMO combat can be.

True, not all MMO's are just WOW clones. The issue here (not directed at Sunstar since you weren't necessarily saying MH was better/worse) is that, even if it's not just the problem of comparing apples and oranges, some people are just going to like MH better. I've never played/seen Guild Wars, so I'm not really too sure how similar they really are, but I'm quite sure there are some pretty notable differences in the combat engine and game structure.

This question is essentially the same as asking why someone plays Castlevania when there are so many great Mario sidescrollers out there. You're comparing two different things that will appeal to different people and just assuming that one is inherently worse. People get Monster Hunter because it's fun and they like the way the game plays, you can't just say that it's a waste of time because there are MMO's that might play kind of similarly.
---
Barrel!