What's so good about Animal Crossing?

#1serenade_betaPosted 12/7/2012 2:18:49 PM
No, not taunting or starting a flame war or that, but just wondering, what makes Animal Crossing so popular? What makes it enjoyable?

I've been recently thinking about the next game to buy, and right now, I am thinking of Rune Factory 4 and Animal Crossing (3DS). I liked Rune Factory 3 enough, but there is just so much hype and popularity around Animal Crossing, I am curious of the reason?
---
Tried to start a blog... --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/
Plans: Thoughts on Pokemon (Competitive, Random), Kid Icarus (Weapons)
#2arthur8642Posted 12/7/2012 2:21:15 PM
It's irresesistable simple happy fun.

The ultimate in games that let you be as casual or obsessive as you want.
---
imagineer: 'Next 3DS peripheral: the Spinning Chair Pro. Sit in this spinning office chair and play Face Raiders all day, without disturbing your 3D.'
#3TinyTim123Posted 12/7/2012 2:26:10 PM
For me it's just relaxing. There's very little competition involved, unlike playing some shooting game on XBox live full of racist 12 year olds and people screaming at you for being a noob or what have you.
It's a game I can take at my own pace, whether I play for fifteen minutes a day or want to play all day, I can find something to do.
I agree it isn't for everyone. I like cultivating blue roses, then taking a long time to fill my town with them.I like interacting with my Animal buddies. I enjoy making my town 'perfect' even though there is no extrinsic reward for doing such a thing.
I dunno, to me it's just simple relaxing fun. I don't stress about trying to figure out a way to beat this boss with maybe insufficient gear or skill or something. I just run around and try things and play and have fun, without worrying about any real objectives other than that which I decide is important for me.

So yeah, I think it's one of those things that is really hard to nail down, but that is also part of it's charm.
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#4OtherSuperPhilPosted 12/7/2012 2:27:27 PM
TinyTim posted a wonderful answer.
---
If you need to see everything wrong with gamers and their (lack of) maturity, come visit a gaming message board.
#5FefnirOmega13Posted 12/7/2012 2:36:21 PM(edited)
You've got a while to wait for Rune Factory 4 I think, so in the meantime, why not pick up Frontier for Wii instead?

(unless you live in japan in which case buy it anyway)

Animal Crossing is one of those games you either take to like a duck to water or you get bored within the first week and leave your town to stagnate and get choked by weeds. It's not for everyone, it's very slow paced, needs lots of constant attention on a daily basis, and it takes ages. There are good days and there are very slow and dull days.

That said, it's alright. It's not one of my first choices, but I enjoyed WW enough.

In fact, yeah, go pick up AC: Wild World for DS and see if you enjoy it.
---
Bullet Hell fan, Cave and Touhou lover. <3 Patchouli Knowledge.
Playing: DeathSmiles, Fire Emblem 8, Rune Factory 3, Digimon World Dawn, Tales of Vesperia
#6serenade_beta(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 3:51:52 PM
FefnirOmega13 posted...
You've got a while to wait for Rune Factory 4 I think, so in the meantime, why not pick up Frontier for Wii instead?

(unless you live in japan in which case buy it anyway)

I have an imported JP 3DS.
Animal Crossing is downloadable, so it would save me the shipping fee.
---
Tried to start a blog... --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/
Plans: Thoughts on Pokemon (Competitive, Random), Kid Icarus (Weapons)