3DS XL Battery Charge Time Question

#1Jay2528Posted 12/7/2012 5:30:01 PM
I got a 3DS XL recently and some games (Mario Kart 7 preloaded, Shinobi, RE Revelations) and I have noticed the battery life does not seem to last very long for the system. Around 2.5 hours in the red light starts to flash indicating low battery life. Now I realize I can continue playing, as yesterday I played for a total 3 hour and 20 minutes before I stopped (not because the system shut off, I just stopped).

Now today I decided to charge the system, it took 3 hours and 41 minutes to charge despite not fully being depleted of battery life. Is this normal, because the last time it took a little less than this. Not to mention the manual says the system should take 3 hours and a half to charge fully.

Any info on this would help, I would just like to know if this is normal battery life and charge time, especially the charge time. Any yes, I am playing at full brightness and with 3D at the highest level. Thanks for any help.
#2stargazer64Posted 12/7/2012 5:35:45 PM
Do you have wi-fi on?

I get almost 5 hours, 3D almost at max and brightness at 4, no wi-fi.

Seems to take 2 hours to charge fully but maybe 3 sometimes.
---
What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.
#3Jay2528(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 5:43:27 PM
stargazer64 posted...
Do you have wi-fi on?

I get almost 5 hours, 3D almost at max and brightness at 4, no wi-fi.

Seems to take 2 hours to charge fully but maybe 3 sometimes.

At first I did, but after my first charge I turned it off. Yesterday when I played for 3 hours and 20 minutes, I turned it off. I am starting to think my battery is no good if your getting 5 hours from playing with the 3D almost at max and only charging for 2 to 3 hours. I read some games drain the battery faster, so I don't know if it is that. I really hope my 3DS is not defective, hate to return items.
#4Jay2528(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 7:17:05 PM
Bumb

Anyone else who can provide input would be appreciated and thanks to stargazer64 for the response/input.

I am going to change the settings on my XL to see if I get better battery life. I will lower the 3D, use headphones instead, as well as keep the wi-fi off. Still concerned about charge time though, so any feedback would be appreciated.
#5RazieruPosted 12/7/2012 7:28:17 PM(edited)
You're playing at the max settings and don't expect its abysmal battery life to show itself? The numbers are pretty accurate at that level of intensity with brightness and 3D. Simply and bluntly put, if you expect better numbers, lower the 3D and brightness significantly.

Charge times for the 3DS XL are accurate as well. You're charging a 1750 mAh battery. Much like the DSi XL before it, a bigger battery is naturally going to need more time to charge.

Also, everyone knows by now that 3D is a huge power cruncher, and one of the contributors to the 3DS' abysmal battery life. That, and having the brightness maxed out is going to naturally give you those crappy play times, among other things.
---
My swagger will explode you.
#6Jay2528(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 7:40:19 PM
Razieru posted...
You're playing at the max settings and don't expect its abysmal battery life to show itself? The numbers are pretty accurate at that level of intensity with brightness and 3D. Simply and bluntly put, if you expect better numbers, lower the 3D and brightness significantly.

Charge times for the 3DS XL are accurate as well. You're charging a 1750 mAh battery. Much like the DSi XL before it, a bigger battery is naturally going to need more time to charge.

It is not a matter of me expecting the battery life to last forever at max settings, but I thought it would at least make it to 3 hours before the red light started flashing, indicating low battery.

Again my biggest concern was the recharge time for the battery/system. The manual says it should take 3.5 hours to fully recharge. However today it took 3 hours and 41 minutes to recharge when it was not fully depleted. I just wanted to know if that was normal and expected when the manual seems to say otherwise. Since I never owned the DSi XL (only the DS Lite) I could not compare. Anyway, thanks for the input as I do plan to lower the settings and experiment until I get a desired playtime and battery life ratio I like.
#7stargazer64Posted 12/7/2012 7:46:30 PM
Sorry I can't give you a more accurate charge time. I usually charge it while I'm sleeping and the battery isn't flat.
---
What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.
#8Jay2528(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 7:51:49 PM
stargazer64 posted...
Sorry I can't give you a more accurate charge time. I usually charge it while I'm sleeping and the battery isn't flat.

It's cool, I appreciate the response anyway. Like I said, I will be changing up my settings to see how the battery life works out. As long as it never takes a full 4 hours or more to charge, I imagine everything it fine.