Is Pokemon Mystery Dungeon worth getting into?

#121_21Posted 12/7/2012 4:30:25 PM
Hey guys. I have never played a single Pokemon Mystery Dungeon at all, and I was wondering if it's a good idea to get into it. I'm showing some interest in it, but I'm not sure if the series is great.

Those of you who've played it, what are your opinions on them, and do you think it's for everyone? Should I get started on playing them now? If so, what's the good one to play first?

If it helps, I don't mind playing any type of games just so long as they're good, so I have no specific tastes, for the most part.
---
Currently playing:
999, Super Robot Taisen OG Endless Saga, and Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd you steal our garbage!?
#221_21(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 5:24:25 PM
Pikachu used BUMP. It was super effective.
---
Currently playing:
999, Super Robot Taisen OG Endless Saga, and Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd you steal our garbage!?
#3ThisIsMyShakePosted 12/7/2012 5:30:58 PM
I played EoD, and it was quite nice. Imo it's a pretty good roguelike, but it's not for everyone.
---
I have a shake
#4ceedofevilPosted 12/7/2012 5:33:04 PM
Pretty much rogue like set on easy and uses Pokemon as a theme for fanservice and familiarity.
---
"I don't think this is funny. I wasted my time entering." -GameFAQ's new slogan.
#5MarsfordPosted 12/7/2012 5:33:19 PM
I feel the same way about the series. Love Pokemon. Even love Pokemon Rumble Blast. Don't know about this. Should I start with a DS version?
---
Official Marsford of the NDF
People should really learn the difference between a troll and an idiot.
#621_21(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 6:33:54 PM
Pardon me for asking, but what do you mean by "rogue like".
---
Currently playing:
#7danmiy12Posted 12/7/2012 6:35:32 PM
the best thing to do is check the lets play of pokemon sky version <don't watch more then maybe 2 parts or you'll spoil the story for yourself> it has a unique battle system simular to other roguelikes except this is an easier roguelike...the story is pretty good by pokemon standards if you care about that...

shiren the wanderer is a hardcore roguelike game if you want to see where most games of this genre is like...you can watch a lets play of that if you just want to see the roguelike genre in action without it being dumbed down like the pokemon version so everyone can play it...this game is very hard not for the faint of heart...
---
My 3ds FC:0989-1899-7615 pm me if you want to add me
#8FefnirOmega13Posted 12/7/2012 6:37:34 PM
I love the games and think they're the best pokemon spinoff games available.

I'm not too psyched about the new game because it removes a lot that made the previous versions amazing. Maybe you should get it first and then try the older games.
---
Bullet Hell fan, Cave and Touhou lover. <3 Patchouli Knowledge.
Playing: DeathSmiles, Fire Emblem 8, Rune Factory 3, Digimon World Dawn, Tales of Vesperia
#9XashowdPosted 12/7/2012 8:09:22 PM
They're certainly a good series, especially the Explorers triad for the Story and major plot twist you literally won't see coming (I sure didn't!). The gameplay is also unique, and the nature of the Mystery Dungeons keeps replay value high. Another good thing is that you get a bit more move variety in the games, since some moves you wouldn't think twice about in the main games are excellent choices in the MD games due to the differences (Vacuum Wave comes to mind first). Plus, you can actually get your team members overpowered, and it's simpler, especially in Explorers of Sky thanks to Spinda's Cafe.

I'd say to start with EoSky from a gameplay standpoint, as it's basically the Platinum version of the Explorers Triad (Ergo, all the content of Time/Darkness plus more stuff exclusive to Sky). Watch a few Let's Plays and do some research. If you like what you see, go for it.
---
Official Member of the MnK! I am The Wandering Nightwind, Xashowd!
3DS FC: 3695-0746-1582. Xashowd. PM me if you add me.
#10pbandjamesPosted 12/7/2012 8:11:52 PM
Yes, PMD can offer you hours upon hours of content. The stories are great, and the gameplay is really fun. It's simple and simply great. I highly, highly recommend it. They are the best Pokemon spinoffs by far.
---
Game news is the best news. 3DS Friend Code: 4253-3676-2425 (James) PM me with yours if you add me