How are the Etrian Odyssey games?

#1Cobin22Posted 12/8/2012 11:29:37 AM
How are the stories? are they dark, or pretty light hearted? Good themes? How about the music? Just wondering if I should pick these up with their re-releases coming up. Thanks for anyone who can help!
---
PSN: Cobin22
#2Lord_FroodPosted 12/8/2012 11:39:02 AM
Story is hardly there. Essentially, giant evil labyrinth opens up, some monster come out of the depths, go chart the dungeons and kill the stuff at the bottom. The music is pretty top notch and I'm a fan of the enemy designs, they're pretty cool. You're mostly playing the game for the gameplay though. It's pretty difficult, but not entirely impossible if you know what you're doing. Definitely not for people who aren't up for a challenge.
---
You only need to know two things to understand KH: Everyone is Sora, Everything is Xehanort's fault.
http://backloggery.com/Lord_Frood
#3Darkstorm16Posted 12/8/2012 11:40:05 AM
hmm I like a good challenge...just lack of story for an rpg....that's different >.<.
---
Current Systems: 3DS, DSlite, IPod Touch
If There is Evil in this world it lurks in the hearts of Man- Tales of Phantasia
#4TheZuperHeroPosted 12/8/2012 11:40:45 AM
I really liked them, they're well thought out and not light on the difficulty. If you want to play them, though, make sure you go in numeric order. It's very hard to go from 3 to 2 or 1 just because of the improvements made between each one. 3 is the best, but if you want to experience the other 2, do that first.
---
Currently Playing: Pokemon White 2, Fire Emblem, Denpa Men
3DS Info: Jake - 4167-4549-4028 (Feel free to add me, message to be added back!)
#5Lord_FroodPosted 12/8/2012 11:43:19 AM
To build on ZuperHero, the difficulty for 2 is the hardest and 1 and 3 are about equal, or so I've heard. They're kind of supposed to be based off of really old dungeon crawlers in which story wasn't all that prevalent. I mean, you can call me a total nerd, I don't care, but I had more fun in EO coming up with backstories for my own characters and the NPCs rather than having a story. The entire game revolves around one dungeon and there's only one town, so having a story would be a little hard when the entire game is in one place. I still highly recommend them, however, you'll want to probably start with EO1 since the other games build so much up on top of it, it will just make them look even better once you get to those.
---
You only need to know two things to understand KH: Everyone is Sora, Everything is Xehanort's fault.
http://backloggery.com/Lord_Frood
#61upsuperPosted 12/8/2012 12:07:32 PM
Fantastic series, IMO. You should really have gathered as much from the topic about the reprint.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/1upsuper
#7Cobin22(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 1:15:47 PM
Thanks for the replies! I saw that topic after I posted but I'll have to think about these, just not sure about an RPG with no story to really drive me to play. Kind of picky when it comes to them, like to have a solid story, gameplay, and music.
---
PSN: Cobin22
#8tw1g_007Posted 12/8/2012 1:29:42 PM
Don't bother with EO1. Just get 2 and 3.
---
MH will have to wait and why do most GameFAQ'ers in the 3DS board have sex with their 3DS?
#9VampiricDragon_Posted 12/8/2012 1:31:48 PM
all 3 are amazxing
#10Black_AssassinPosted 12/8/2012 2:16:21 PM
Cobin22 posted...
Thanks for the replies! I saw that topic after I posted but I'll have to think about these, just not sure about an RPG with no story to really drive me to play. Kind of picky when it comes to them, like to have a solid story, gameplay, and music.

The drive comes from the gradual sense of advancement and exploration.