How are the Etrian Odyssey games?

#111upsuperPosted 12/8/2012 5:14:37 PM
If you're actually serious about requiring a compelling story in a game, video games probably aren't for you, or at least stick to visual novels.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/1upsuper
#12hors_doeuvresPosted 12/8/2012 5:23:16 PM
1upsuper posted...
If you're actually serious about requiring a compelling story in a game, video games probably aren't for you, or at least stick to visual novels.

There are plenty of video games that have compelling stories.
---
3DS: 3179-7514-8675
"Vitamins, carotins, potassium, fiber... polyphenol!!!"
#131upsuperPosted 12/8/2012 5:26:29 PM
Requiring one to get through a game however, is ludicrous.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/1upsuper
#14AkaneJonesPosted 12/8/2012 6:36:56 PM(edited)
They actually do have a story. It's just that the story consists of things brought up by the few characters in the games. Get info, explore stratum, kill said boss, report back, go to specific location encounter informant, wash rinse repeat. EO3 has a little bit of other story in it with an effect due to another team running the labyrinth, but most extra story comes from except quest, gather info, complete quest, meaning it's more of small adventurers tales. If you wanted a deeper story, but similar game play, there's always Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey.

Lord_Frood posted...
I mean, you can call me a total nerd, I don't care, but I had more fun in EO coming up with backstories for my own characters and the NPCs rather than having a story.

Funny you should say that, there are some rather hilarious conversations I though up between my guide members, while playing. There was something rather funny involving my first Dark Hunter, Namahi, claiming she could cosplay as a Cruella, it ended in my Landsknecht, Darzario, beaten to pulp by the rest of the party. Ahh... seems like an amusing bonus manga.
#15Mega_RatPosted 12/8/2012 7:16:16 PM
How long does it take to just beat the main game alone?
---
My wonderful girlfriend is a smexy Bunuppy! A cross breed of a bunny and a puppy .... WHAT?! O_O
http://i.imgur.com/nddzs.jpg <- My name in a game! :D
#16TheZuperHeroPosted 12/8/2012 7:40:40 PM
Mega_Rat posted...
How long does it take to just beat the main game alone?

Quite a while. The going can get pretty rough. In I and II at least. Haven't gotten too far into III.
---
Currently Playing: Pokemon White 2, Fire Emblem, Denpa Men
3DS Info: Jake - 4167-4549-4028 (Feel free to add me, message to be added back!)
#17Dayner_KurdiPosted 12/8/2012 9:48:00 PM
30 - 40 hour easily without any kind of walkthrough

20 maybe with one

its kind of a game that reward player who explore the unknown.
---
Official Yamata no Orochi of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#18TheDarkNerdPosted 12/8/2012 10:19:01 PM
but I had more fun in EO coming up with backstories for my own characters and the NPCs rather than having a story.

In EO1, in the back line, my Medic and my Alchemist were totally under-the-radar lesbians. Their most touching moment was when facing the first boss, the alchemist had managed to kill-by-poison the main boss and most of its cronies. Only one wolf remained, and the entire front line was wiped out. The only thing left for them to do was cling to each other's arms, continuously selecting Defend (which I imagine was just them tensing up and taking the blows), the alchemist comforting the medic in her arms as they waited out the death of the final wolf.

Genuinely felt concerned for them, though that may have partially been because their death would have meant starting the entire battle over again from the last save.
---
http://i39.tinypic.com/xnar69.gif
#19Mega_RatPosted 12/8/2012 10:26:32 PM
TheDarkNerd posted...
but I had more fun in EO coming up with backstories for my own characters and the NPCs rather than having a story.

In EO1, in the back line, my Medic and my Alchemist were totally under-the-radar lesbians. Their most touching moment was when facing the first boss, the alchemist had managed to kill-by-poison the main boss and most of its cronies. Only one wolf remained, and the entire front line was wiped out. The only thing left for them to do was cling to each other's arms, continuously selecting Defend (which I imagine was just them tensing up and taking the blows), the alchemist comforting the medic in her arms as they waited out the death of the final wolf.

Genuinely felt concerned for them, though that may have partially been because their death would have meant starting the entire battle over again from the last save.

---
My wonderful girlfriend is a smexy Bunuppy! A cross breed of a bunny and a puppy .... WHAT?! O_O
http://i.imgur.com/nddzs.jpg <- My name in a game! :D
#20CircleOfManiasPosted 12/9/2012 3:04:22 PM
There's definitely a story, it's just not about you. It all happened in the past, and your only involvement in it is discovering what happened.
---
Sick liaisons raise this monumental mark
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park