Board opinions: How is Sticker Star?

#11GLDanzegoPosted 12/9/2012 10:55:13 PM
I just finished it today and thought it was very good. I'm usually not into the whole thing where developers set out to make a game that is specifically aimed at the notion that handheld gaming is mostly for short sessioned gaming. Sticker Star is set up very nicely for what time I do have available and it doesn't go overboard in the story department, so when I have an hour to play, I feel like I got a chance to actually PLAY. It's also suitable for long play sessions.

Mind you, I have nothing against a lot of story in games and I used to be really into bigger RPG's. However, I've been really busy lately and I just can't commit to any lengthy RPG's.

Anyway, I know a lot of people are angry because the game isn't as story heavy as past Paper Mario games (especially Paper Mario TTYD -the Wii version- which just about put me to sleep both times I tried to get into it) and they don't like the sticker battle system, but whatever. I found it to be really fun and, at 25 hours length for me, I was able to get through it in a relatively timely manner. :)
#12nintendogger(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2012 11:04:48 PM
Oh, I actually love heavily story based games. (Just finished VLR today). So it's got mixed reviews then. I'll keep that in mind, Layton is my priority anyway.
---
At some point someone probably told you I'm a troll.
#13AJReiersonPosted 12/9/2012 11:53:43 PM
Not nearly as good as the other Paper Mario games. Without any leveling system, there really is no incentive to battle. A good game, but I have to question Nintendo's decisions on the game's primary mechanics.
---
I write about video games at Retrovolve.com! Check it out!
#14LightHawKnightPosted 12/10/2012 12:20:10 AM
Don't like it. In fact I think it sucks compared to the first two games. There is a lot less charm. The story is no where near important at all, and I get very few laughs whilst playing. I DESPISE Kersti with a fervor. The combat is okay, but since I am a packrat, it is TERRIBLE for me to play. The beginning is really boring, which annoys me, as the first two games had fun beginnings, at least fun to me. It is barely like the first two games at all. Not even sure why it is part of the PM series. It should be its own spinoff. That would make it better.

I honestly can't see why they can't make another game just like the first two. Why even bother playing a series if you don't want the games to be similar?!
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#15nintendogger(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2012 7:02:08 AM
What if I don't have any specific nostalgia over the past three games?
---
At some point someone probably told you I'm a troll.
#16brStalkerPosted 12/10/2012 7:29:46 AM
People don't like Sticker Star because it is not a lasting, memorable RPG like the two first games. That does not say that this game is bad. In fact, the level design, exploration and puzzles are very well done, and Kamek shows that he could take Bowser's place any day if not for loyalty and Bowser's might.

I liked it very much, and I think you'll like it too.
---
"Which is more evil: Kidnapping a child to use as a tool for world domination, or using your blood child as a tool for world domination?"-Tyranidomega
#17LightHawKnightPosted 12/10/2012 11:09:08 AM
nintendogger posted...
What if I don't have any specific nostalgia over the past three games?

Well if you don't care at all about the first two games, and not expecting this to be a rpg with a real leveling system, it wouldn't hurt to get it. It is pretty much more like how a platformer Mario is, than Paper Mario.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#18Semi45aPosted 12/10/2012 11:18:28 AM
the greatest game you'll never play
---
The only Vita games really worth getting: Gravity Rush & P4G
Being unable to detect sarcasm and lies might be an early way to catch dementia
#19LukeyC224Posted 12/10/2012 11:44:03 AM
I like it and it's lasting me ages. I've played 9 hours and I'm only just starting world 3.
---
PSN/GT: LukeyC224. 3DS FC: 0001-3497-9073
--- Dammit! WWJBD?---
#20Wynters387Posted 12/10/2012 11:47:25 AM
I hear it's quite sticky
---
Remember Senor, crafter of love.
President of the NDF