Board opinions: How is Sticker Star?

#61TheRealMrManPosted 12/11/2012 10:33:09 AM
Would someone please explain to me how SS is not an RPG?
#62brStalkerPosted 12/11/2012 10:54:02 AM
TheRealMrMan posted...
Would someone please explain to me how SS is not an RPG?

Barely any story
No character development
No leveling system (No, upgrading your health/inventory is not the same)
No equipments
Emphasis on exploration and platforming instead of narrative

Seriously, the only RPG traits present on this game are the turn-based battles. And the quests, but they are also common in adventure games, so doubt may be cast on this as well. I say SS is no more of a RPG than a Zelda game.
---
"Which is more evil: Kidnapping a child to use as a tool for world domination, or using your blood child as a tool for world domination?"-Tyranidomega
#63TheRealMrManPosted 12/11/2012 2:37:29 PM
Stickers don't qualify as equipment? I just can't get my head around calling something with turn based battles a non-RPG.
#64SuperMario1998Posted 12/11/2012 2:47:15 PM
Sticker Star's great, well worth the money. My second favorite 3DS game right now, next to Kid Icarus.
---
If you have 4 pencils and 7 apples, how many pancakes will fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don't wear hats.
#65brStalkerPosted 12/11/2012 5:53:27 PM
TheRealMrMan posted...
Stickers don't qualify as equipment?

I'd say they qualify more as usable items (like potions, bombs, arrows, etc.) than equipment.

I just can't get my head around calling something with turn based battles a non-RPG.

Or strategy game, but yeah, it's weird. We might be threading new ground here. Turn-based adventure?
---
"Which is more evil: Kidnapping a child to use as a tool for world domination, or using your blood child as a tool for world domination?"-Tyranidomega
#66Banjo2553Posted 12/11/2012 9:12:09 PM(edited)
It's not as good as the first two, but it's better than SPM. Sticker Star's gameplay quality seems to vary with people. Others seem to get bored with it over time, others (like me) just accept it and enjoy it more and more. But generally, it seems like battling isn't too worth it. I mean, the more battles you complete, the more coins you get, which can make getting through the game a little easier.

The story isn't very heavy at all, in fact it's very basic. It's basically Bowser kidnapped Peach and screwed up the Sticker Festival. That's basically what Paper Mario 64 was, but that one's different because each Chapter had its own kinda lore and substory to it. This one just doesn't focus that much on the story at all. Any kind of lore or substory is either nonexistant or extremely minor. The NPCs are also limited to just Toads for the most part, which is a bit disappointing. However, to make up for this, the game is REALLY puzzle heavy, probably has the best puzzle aspect of all the Paper Mario games. There were parts I really had to think, and that's where I got the most enjoyment out of the game. This, and also the fact that the game is entirely non-linear. Want to start at Chapter 3? You can do that. Want to venture to Chapter 5 without even clearing the previous Chapters? You can do that. Obviously though you can't access the final Chapter (which is just a couple levels) until you have all the Royal Stickers.

Finally, the game does have the honor of being one of the few games that has a desert area that I enjoyed. In fact, I enjoyed it so much that it's actually what kept me playing, as I found Chapter 1 to be really boring for some reason.
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
#67forest_wandererPosted 12/11/2012 9:24:05 PM
TheRealMrMan posted...
Stickers don't qualify as equipment? I just can't get my head around calling something with turn based battles a non-RPG.

Because turn-based battles are not integral to a game being an RPG. The Tales series has absolutely no turn-based battling whatsoever, however it's one of the biggest RPG series in the industry. What makes an RPG an RPG is the leveling/stats system. Hence the concept of 'role-playing' in that your character plays a certain role in the game based upon their stats and class and such.

Stickers aren't equipment, they're one-off use only. They're closer to attack-items like the Fire Flower and stuff.

nintendogger posted...
The battle thing is good news to me, *braces for impact and then whispers* I'm not really a big battle person to begin with, I don't like team battles, and I don't care for turn based battling either.... sewww sounds like I'll like the changes.

Again, most people aren't complaining about the battling. The majority of criticism the game is receiving is from the fact that it has no personality, nonexistent plot, and has very little content in it for a Paper Mario game. The charm of the series is in its unique characters/take on the Mario universe, mostly out of the creativity of Intelligent, which they were neutered out of using this time, by Miyamoto.

Think of it this way. Did you love the way TTYD was this awesome, unique, almost-esoteric setting, but still felt very Mario-y, and managed to tell this amazing story and end up being an epic adventure? Sticker Star has none of that. It's five generic video-game worlds with short bursts of superficial action sequences, that simply get you from the title screen to the credits, and little substance in between there.
---
nightScan is one of the greatest human beings on the planet.
gamezrochard is a true man.
#68TheRealMrManPosted 12/12/2012 10:19:30 AM
I didn't say RPGs MUST have turn based battles, I was implying that I can't think of a game with turn based encounters that isn't either an RPG or a strategy game, usually with RPG elements. Also the Final Fantasy Legend games had consumable weapons and I'm sure other RPGs and SaGa games do as well.
#69Charizard90Posted 12/12/2012 2:44:07 PM
Don't get it, it is boooring...

Without any kind of exp there is absolutely no reason to battle, and when you do get into one you will most likely run away. Why? Because you won't want to waste your stickers on minor mobs when you are gonna need them for the final boss. Of course you can use the over powered "thing" stickers to kill bosses, but for me that just feels like cheating for some reason. Those stickers are WAY too overpowered and take the fun away. So no exp + finite number of attacks + being unable to select a target (you always have to attack the first monster in their party) makes for a boring and uninspired battling system after the first 30 min.

Also this game has practically no story at all, which doesn't help. And most creatures in the game are toads, so there isn't any variety in that either.

I don't get how people can say this game is good... In my opinion it sucks... I had high hopes for it, but it just didn't deliver.

My advice watch some gameplay footage on youtube, see what the game is like and the decide.
---
Shinies: 40 -of which- Radar shinies: 38
Pkmn Platinum: Name: Hao FC: 2965-5119-9885
#70nintendogger(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2012 7:41:31 PM
I think I'll look at some gameplay footage and reviews.
---
At some point someone probably told you I'm a troll.