Ever auction off your DSi on Ebay without a reserve price? (I'm not advertising)

#1SpideymasterPosted 12/10/2012 5:20:42 PM
I was just wondering if any of you have ever put your DSi (Or any iteration of the DS, for that matter) up for auction on Ebay without a reserve price.

My original listing failed to sell, so I'm planning on re-listing it as auction-only item with a low starting bid. I'm also planning on NOT setting a reserve price in order to attract more buyers, so I got to wondering: Do any of you have experiences with this? How did things turn out for you?

I know that not setting a reserve with a low starting price seems risky, but I figured that when it comes to things like game consoles, it really isn't too much of a risk.

But yeah, any stories would be appreciated (Especially ones with good endings).
---
"If you want a story line, go read a book. If you want graphics, watch a movie. If you want to have fun, play a game." MetaYoshi64
#2NessEggmanPosted 12/10/2012 5:31:32 PM
I've sold a lot of stuff on eBay... never a game console but I still feel I can help.

It is not too great a risk. Reserve prices scare away bidders. Bidders are more likely to bid $200 on something with no reserve before bidding $150 on something with a reserve, even if the reserve is $150 and they could have gotten it cheaper. Part of this is because the reserve is hidden and they give up before even bidding.

The best time to sell it is RIGHT NOW. Make sure your item will be able to be shipped and arrive by Dec 23 because a lot of people will be wanting to buy games for holiday gifts right now. Mention this in your auction! This is good for you because you will have lots of demand for your item. Even though there will be more DSi systems on ebay, people will be bidding more and more people will be bidding, so all of the systems will get bumped up pretty high.

Make sure your auction ends on a Saturday or Sunday. More people seem to be spending extra time on eBay during these times (because less people have to work those days). People bid the most in the closing moments.
---
https://gamingandthinking.blogspot.com/
#3Spideymaster(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2012 5:45:16 PM
NessEggman posted...
I've sold a lot of stuff on eBay... never a game console but I still feel I can help.

It is not too great a risk. Reserve prices scare away bidders. Bidders are more likely to bid $200 on something with no reserve before bidding $150 on something with a reserve, even if the reserve is $150 and they could have gotten it cheaper. Part of this is because the reserve is hidden and they give up before even bidding.

The best time to sell it is RIGHT NOW. Make sure your item will be able to be shipped and arrive by Dec 23 because a lot of people will be wanting to buy games for holiday gifts right now. Mention this in your auction! This is good for you because you will have lots of demand for your item. Even though there will be more DSi systems on ebay, people will be bidding more and more people will be bidding, so all of the systems will get bumped up pretty high.

Make sure your auction ends on a Saturday or Sunday. More people seem to be spending extra time on eBay during these times (because less people have to work those days). People bid the most in the closing moments.

Thank you!

And yeah, I've read that Sunday nights are when Ebay is the most busy, so I'm thinking that I'll end the auction that evening.
---
"If you want a story line, go read a book. If you want graphics, watch a movie. If you want to have fun, play a game." MetaYoshi64
#4ecco6t9Posted 12/10/2012 6:45:34 PM
When I sold my XL, I saw what they were selling for on average and listed it at Buy it Now for $15 less, it sold half an hour later.

If I had a mint DSi with nothing installed I would probably list it at $70.
---
Time Magazine's Man Of The Year 2006.