remove the anime obstruction in our video games!

#111AkaneJonesPosted 12/13/2012 12:20:40 AM
Argh4430 posted...
Well, aren't you tough. I obviously know what i'm talking about. That game is great, but not because of it's anime influence.

I'm going to say obviously you don't. That has to be the most blatant shoujoy thing ever to appear in Castlevania, to the point even the developers had to have know how silly the discord is of playing as Maria. Ultimately the whole thing was added because it is both as epic as it is hilarious. Never mind that the whole game was clearly anime styled as well, even it's SNES down sized version Dracula X retains it in it's art style(even if cinema scene where cut). But you seem to deny the original Maria was the very picture of cutesy shoujo anime of the late 80s early 90s(personally something I love and kind of miss now). And that that was an entire quotient of the game in the first place.

Not only that but you pick the very last anime esk Castlevania to try and pick it apart. In reality though I see no deviance between Portrait of Ruin & Dawn of Sorrow then I do in Dawn of Sorrow & Aria of Sorrow. I don't even see it between Aria of Sorrow & Symphony of the Night. Just come out and say you don't like Charlotte's character and stop blaming it on Anime.
#112Tsukasa1891Posted 12/13/2012 1:56:50 AM
lambchips posted...
wow... tc is a weaboo, couldnt you just use the term "cartoon", everytime someone talks japanese on these boards it forces normal everyday people (like myself) to unnecessarily visit google to get the damn definition

life on gamefaqs would be easier if people like tc stop using japanese words to describe things
god

couldn't you just shut the hell up. people have only been using the term anime for 20+ years now. it's not are fault you're so stupid you need a dictionary for every other word people of average intelligence says.
---
GameFAQs, where the glass is always half empty.
#113Ronald442Posted 12/13/2012 4:03:06 AM
Zignoff posted...
Fundimentally they are the Same, no what makes Anime, well ANIME, is it's designs have depth, they are crafted from the worlds they exist, the character design alone tells a story of a world, that design changes not due to a new artist styles doing the cartoon, their design changes from the world itself, the events that happen, and how it changes them and the others around them.

Anime is not something as simple as an art style in the way of how they are drawn, but what the design tells of the character and the world, how it changes. It's very hard to put what I'm trying to say into words. I'm sure some will understand, others will see me as if I was speaking gibberish, I'm not, it's just hard to define what anime is, but it isn't based of the art style alone, it's based off the design, and the depth the design and world it describes.

And due to this I see "Cartoons" like Kids next Door, and Adventure time, as more of anime then cartoons, the characters evolve, and change from the world,just like a real anime would do. So that's what I have to say.

And if this is a Joke topic, well then my comment still stands...

These are more your personal feelings I think. Yes many animes have those amazing designs (you do have to search for them tough, as there are just as many bad ones) and Cartoons also have amazing ones (like avatar).

I think the confusion comes from the origins. Cartoons were in the past mostly slapstick comedy tv shows or funny Drawings (with the exception of disney really) which is why cartoon gets assosiated with those kind of shows. But that is not the definition of cartoon. Cartoon is anything from those slapstick tv shows to the Japanese animation.

I don't think the definition is so complex

In Europe/America -> Anime = Japanese Animation (or any other east asian country)
In Japan -> Anime = Cartoon

That is it. nothing so complex behind it.
#114lambchipsPosted 12/13/2012 4:16:19 AM
Tsukasa1891 posted...
couldn't you just shut the hell up. people have only been using the term anime for 20+ years now. it's not are fault you're so stupid you need a dictionary for every other word people of average intelligence says.

stop being such a weeaboo and defending this crap, anime is a stupid word and only people that likes to pretend they are japanese use it

most everyday westerners dont even know what anime, stop assuming everyday people knows some japanese terms which we arent even exposed to

its like calling a shut-in a hikkikomori... no one uses that word in real life in the west, and no one should use anime either
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#115Catcher_FreemanPosted 12/13/2012 5:14:58 AM
its like calling a shut-in a hikkikomori... no one uses that word in real life in the west, and no one should use anime either

The word anime is used to distinguish Japanese animation from Western animation.
#116confettistormPosted 12/13/2012 5:33:57 AM
KeleenRem posted...
Anime is completely mundane. They inspire everything that's wrong with art and animation. Boring plots inspired by mary sues, nothing but fanservice for the mindless corpses and those freaky eyes. In fact, we should do away with anything that must be drawn in video games!

What I propose is that, from now on, game developers structure their ideas on the concept of Korean Dramas. Korean Dramas are only the best thing to appear on the screen since Orville Redenbacher commercials. Not American dramas, not French, Korean Dramas! Plots could be based around confronting your evil step mother while trying to keep legal custody over your son and preventing your husband from running off with that God Awful Dirty Tramp That Doesn't Learn HER PLACE I Mean, Who Da Hell Does She Think She Is?!

It'll be an entirely new genre. We'll call it, Women's Burden Games.

And today children, we'll start learning how generalizing is incorrect and makes you look like a fool!
Case study 1, KelleenRem...
#117AkaneJonesPosted 12/13/2012 5:39:01 AM(edited)
Ronald442 posted...

In Europe/America -> Anime = Japanese Animation (or any other east asian country)
In Japan -> Anime = Cartoon

That is it. nothing so complex behind it.

Actually that's wrong Cartoon is a word from Italian that means a sketch. Typically use as a prototype drawing for master works. There are cartoon by Michaelangelo for the Sixteenth Chapel as an example. When English adapted the use of the word, they used it for comic they drew in news print. When it came to animation pioneers, like Disney, they refereed to the animation as Cartoon Animation, which was later just shortened to Cartoon. Technically cartoon has nothing to do with animation at all, rather the style of what is being animated.

Now Anime is completely different. It's origin is the word Animation. It evolved from the full Japanese term Manga Animation, which as shortened to Anime. It specifically was meant to refer to manga being animated, but due to the way it was shortened it could be use for all forms of animation. However when English cross-back adopted it, it specifically meant Japanese style animation, which technically is close enough to it's source term manga animation that there is no notable deviation in meaning.

What the point here? Cartoon's are a specific style of animation, Anime are a specific region's style of animation. An anime is not a cartoon, but a cartoon could be an anime. You can't cross use the terms in English like you think. Since anime is based on manga style, which has it's true roots in old sumi-e drawing of ancient Japan and specifically the Tales of Genji scroll. Where as cartoons are base on Renaissance scribble art.
#118PokeMasterPosted 12/13/2012 5:43:16 AM
too lazy to read, but why is this thread still going?
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.
#119parKb5Posted 12/13/2012 6:31:48 AM
KeleenRem posted...
Anime is completely mundane. They inspire everything that's wrong with art and animation. Boring plots inspired by mary sues, nothing but fanservice for the mindless corpses and those freaky eyes. In fact, we should do away with anything that must be drawn in video games!

What I propose is that, from now on, game developers structure their ideas on the concept of Korean Dramas. Korean Dramas are only the best thing to appear on the screen since Orville Redenbacher commercials. Not American dramas, not French, Korean Dramas! Plots could be based around confronting your evil step mother while trying to keep legal custody over your son and preventing your husband from running off with that God Awful Dirty Tramp That Doesn't Learn HER PLACE I Mean, Who Da Hell Does She Think She Is?!

It'll be an entirely new genre. We'll call it, Women's Burden Games.

Only if the final boss we get to defeat is PSY.
---
"Do you want to know the secret of my panties?" - Trucy Wright
3DS FC: 4940-5431-3793 mii: Greg
#120arthur8642Posted 12/13/2012 6:51:59 AM
ITT: People don't realize it's a joke.
---
imagineer: 'Next 3DS peripheral: the Spinning Chair Pro. Sit in this spinning office chair and play Face Raiders all day, without disturbing your 3D.'