Anyone have some good recomendations for an RPG with a great story?

#1nazacuckooPosted 12/12/2012 1:33:33 PM
DS or 3DS, I don't really mind.
I would prefer a turn-based RPG, because I have tons of action RPG's already.
So far Infinite Space and Final Fantasy IV (never played any FF game before, ever)
have interested me, but I want to get some opinions from you guys.
Like I said before, I'm looking for a game with a great story, and some great characters.
I would also like if the gameplay was very deep, so I don't go into autopilot while playing.

So, what ideas do you guys have?
---
If there is one thing I have learned from years of watching cartoons as a kid, its that you don't F*** with Shamans >:D
#2ssbmrocksPosted 12/12/2012 1:42:56 PM
Final Fantasy IV is a classic that every RPG fan should play at some point.

-Also Chrono Trigger
-The Pokemon series (not so much story-heavy, but great games if you haven't played)
-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series (dunno if you like dungeon crawlers, but these ones actually have a good story and the gameplay is great with lots to do)

And there are a bunch more that others will add here too.
---
Them ain't your funyuns, them's Foxxy's funyuns.
#3nazacuckoo(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2012 1:45:02 PM
ssbmrocks posted...
Final Fantasy IV is a classic that every RPG fan should play at some point.

-Also Chrono Trigger
-The Pokemon series (not so much story-heavy, but great games if you haven't played)
-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series (dunno if you like dungeon crawlers, but these ones actually have a good story and the gameplay is great with lots to do)

And there are a bunch more that others will add here too.

I have played pokemon (both the normal ones and the mystery dungeons)
I haven't played FFIV or Chrono trigger, though.
Its just that, I have tons of DS RPG's and they all have sort of crappy stories,
so getting one with an actually good story would be a nice change of pace.
---
If there is one thing I have learned from years of watching cartoons as a kid, its that you don't F*** with Shamans >:D
#4JimmyMimpsonPosted 12/12/2012 1:46:00 PM
FF4 is a good one for sure. Also get Dragon Quest 4-6, in that order. 5 is best for story, but to fully get it, you should play 4. Despite what some will tell you, I find them very nicely connected. 6 is a VERY distant prequel, distant enough that you can play it alone, or play those with out it. It does give an origin story for Zenithia and the Zenith Dragon, and possibly the Zenithian Equipment, however, so if you crave more of those games' world, play it, it's great.
---
"Thank God Bramble Blast is such an epic track or else I would be beating my kielbasa against a waffle iron by this point."-ResidentEvilKoala
#5nazacuckoo(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2012 1:48:19 PM
JimmyMimpson posted...
FF4 is a good one for sure. Also get Dragon Quest 4-6, in that order. 5 is best for story, but to fully get it, you should play 4. Despite what some will tell you, I find them very nicely connected. 6 is a VERY distant prequel, distant enough that you can play it alone, or play those with out it. It does give an origin story for Zenithia and the Zenith Dragon, and possibly the Zenithian Equipment, however, so if you crave more of those games' world, play it, it's great.

I might check those out, I did really like DQIX after all.
---
#6kingmogPosted 12/12/2012 1:49:19 PM
Does The world ends with you on the ds count?
---
Join Elemental Knights Online! It's a mobile Flyff-type graphics MMO. Invite code: B5Y7BU (all in caps) l 3ds FC: 5069-5354-2448 Edd
#7nazacuckoo(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2012 1:51:56 PM
kingmog posted...
Does The world ends with you on the ds count?

I'm interested in that, and I might get it, but for now I'm mainly trying to get a turn based RPG.
Thanks for the recomendation, though.
---
#8arameakaPosted 12/12/2012 2:06:44 PM
devil survivor overclocked. especially if you never played a smt game before. its soooooo addicting and the story isn't bad either.
#9Twilightwolf444Posted 12/12/2012 2:17:02 PM
Tales of the Abyss
---
US Aqua Blue Ambassador 3DS FC: 5198-2493-9347
I Am Female, American, and a Hardcore Gamer ;)
#10TheloPronoeoPosted 12/12/2012 2:25:49 PM
I've been playing through Radiant Historia and it's been good so far.