Anyone have some good recomendations for an RPG with a great story?

#31dolphinmagePosted 12/13/2012 2:02:42 PM
lambchips posted...
nazacuckoo posted...
I haven't played IS actually.
How good is the gameplay?

the gameplay is very simple, its like a real time rock scissors paper game basically what happens is that there is your fleet and the enemies fleet, what happens is there is an atb on the side that charges up, depending on how much is charged depends on what attacks you can use
^ different weapons equipped on the ship have different ranges (so sometimes you'll need to get closer to make your shots hit)

the customization is what makes the game deep and fun
^ you can choose the characters to man your different stations (each different character have different traits that can help boost different attributes in that area), fleet weapons and modules

that said the game might take you a while to get used to... i gave up on the game once before i thought it was the crappest game i've played, then a few months later i picked it back up and loved every single moment (its one of my fav games ever)

Infinite Space is such an amazing game, but I would also admit that it takes a few hours to really get into it.

The game is very strategy-based. Most of the gameplay comes through customization before the battles. You can have up to five ships that come from four different class types.

I should warn you that it can sometimes be difficult to figure out where to go next, but when that happens you can always fly around to different planets looking for new people to recruit.

Aside from ship battles, there are also some ground battles which still fit into the rock paper scissors battle style.

The story is really amazing and it has branching paths as well which give you different worlds to visit and different characters to recruit.

The biggest problem with this game is that while there are six save files, the database that pops up in the title screen cannot be deleted. This wouldn't be a problem except that while you are flying around in game you can sometimes find celestial objects (nebulas and such) which cannot be found a second time (in any playthrough). I enjoyed finding those, so if that matters to you, make sure you find a new copy.
#32diving_devil46Posted 12/13/2012 3:05:41 PM
Disgaea DS (might have been suggested)?

The story is great, but not in the way of it being epic or some grand adventure... It's just a really fun story. Has some great pop-culture spoofs that end up working rather than feeling gimmicky and the actual tactical element of the game is quite strong.

Radiant Historia is also woefully under-appreciated just because of its late release. I really liked that game, I can't really tell you why; it's nothing especially new, I just enjoyed it.
#33Super SlashPosted 12/13/2012 3:21:50 PM
Kaze_Memaryu posted...
Super Slash posted...
Get Tales of the Abyss. I promise you won't regret it. The gameplay is fun, and the story and characters are great. It's also like 50 hours long.

I feared someone would say this...
Just get SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked or Radiant Historia.

Mind explaining why it's a bad suggestion?
#34emagdnEPosted 12/13/2012 6:50:19 PM
going to jRPGs for story is like going to McDonalds for healthy eating

you can't POSSIBLY pick a worse source
---
I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy... All right, give me the bomb. -Ultra Magnus
#35EM_MegaPosted 12/13/2012 8:38:05 PM
emagdnE posted...
going to jRPGs for story is like going to McDonalds for healthy eating

you can't POSSIBLY pick a worse source

Name a 3DS/DS title with a better story than Radiant Historia or Infinite Space that isn't from a Japanese developer.

Go ahead.

I'm waiting.
#36confettistormPosted 12/13/2012 8:49:33 PM
Tales of the Abyss (3DS)
Radiant Historia (DS)
#371212-1Posted 12/13/2012 9:15:15 PM
don't play ff4, just play chrono trigger. Between chrono trigger and ffvi, if you play those two, you will never want to play another RPG, because they all fail or glow dimly in comparison to the best rpg's ever made, both for the super nintendo, and chrono trigger is for ds as well, with cutscenes and different endings. It has amazing music, a good but not super deep plot involving time travel, (it's a very unique story) and cool characters like frog and marle. If you have a wii, buy ffvi, another game with good music and good characters. And a great story, it's a really, really long game as well.Honestly, Chrono trigger is ten million times better than every rpg I have ever played.(except for maybe ffvi/vii) I admit it can be a bit easy at times, but there are a few tricky boss fights, and it's not like you have to waste hours trying to level up, and if you did it would not get dull due to the unique fighting style and single/duel/triple techs that you can gain when using different characters.
#38Super SlashPosted 12/13/2012 9:34:48 PM
CT is a bit overrated. It's a great game, but if you want the story, Chrono Cross' is better.
#39DilliciousPosted 12/13/2012 9:39:22 PM
Tales of The Abyss.
---
3DS FC:1504-6147-0115 Steam:Dillicious
#40Mr CrispyPosted 12/13/2012 11:49:31 PM
Well, I liked Radiant Historia, Knights in the Nightmare, Valkyrie Profile Covenant of the Plume, TWEWY, and Devil Survivor. Dragon Quest series is nice in an old school way.

Though to be honest, I think the story in Tales of the Abyss is godawful, one of the worst plots I've ever seen in an RPG.

If you actually try to sit down and sort out the plot and character motivations logically, it's a completely nonsensical mess that can't even keep its basic themes straight. It doesn't help that the main character Luke is an obnoxious little ****, he doesn't really get character development as abruptly changing personality every 15 to 20 hours, the cast has pretty poor chemistry with one another exasperated since most of the skits are wasted on rehashing cutscenes that just happened, many of the characters aren't really their own character but rather satellites orbiting Luke, center of the entire goddamn universe.
---
The only certain death in the universe is Mother Hitton's Littul Kittons.
Not changing this line until I beat Seven Heroes (2/24/07)