What you guys think about Crimson Shroud?

#11kyatteiPosted 12/13/2012 10:25:33 AM
I always loved fantasy boardgames (Talisman<3), and tabletop games, so the visual style definitely intrigues me!

Is there customization in the game? Like, can you name your characters and develop their stats/skills however you choose? Can you make choices that change the storyline?
---
3DS: 4167 - 5242 - 9297 || PSN: sparrowgirl
http://backloggery.com/kyattei
#12Prince_PyroPosted 12/13/2012 11:15:53 AM(edited)
I'm not terribly far into the game, but what I have played is brilliant.

The presentation emulates that of tabletop RPGs perfectly, it's quite impressive graphically, and the writing is aces. The story is told in mostly second person narrative, with a few scenes told in third person when your PC is not present. I really like how the characters are presented as figurines, rather than moving and talking. It helps to sell the tabletop style flawlessly.

There doesn't seem to be any sort of major character customization. All PCs are already named, stats and skills are assigned so that they suit that character's class. You can occasionally learn skills after battle, but the skills you have to choose from are predetermined, and character specific.

There are points in the story where you'll have to make decisions relating to what's currently happening, and the success of your selected course of action is dependent upon dice-rolls. It works fantastically, and suits the game so well.

This game is outstanding so far, and at $8, it's an absolute steal.
---
[=[3DS]=] FC: 0946-2412-9538
[o+[___].::] Now playing: Harvest Moon: A New Beginning. Name: Joel. Farm name: Clover Farm. Add me, but please PM if you do!
#13Buttery_ToastPosted 12/13/2012 11:16:25 AM(edited)
Reports are saying first playthrough is 5~6 hours. But it has a new game plus with another ending or something, so you could maybe get 10 hours out of it.

I'm really considering it.
---
My body is always Reggie.
Currently playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
#14Kaze_MemaryuPosted 12/13/2012 11:55:20 AM(edited)
I played through it for an hour now.

And I gotta say I expected something else...
The presentation is cool with every character and enemy being a tabletop figure, but the complete absence of animation (except for shaking figures) might turn some people off. The graphics themselves look really good, but here the animations also make it seem underwhelming - still, they are really good.
Gameplay-wise, just look up the general flow of a tabletop game and you have what this game offers: diverse challenges full of dice. It's good and later on makes extensive use of the fact that all base stats are fixed by themselves and can only be altered by equipment - in the form of enemies where the wrong weakness could prove fatal. Still, the dice system (the core of Crimson Shroud) is what just won't stop bothering me: the highly luck-based events and attacks easily backfire at the worst possible moment which really annoys me, but on the other hand, luck has always been a factor of RPG gameplay, so whatever...
The music is nice and underlines the situation pretty well. It's also not too complex and will slowly grow on you (if you like orchestral melodies).

In the end, my (still to be further refined) impression of Crimson Shroud left me a bit disappointed. Despite it being a virtual tabletop game, it felt too shallow to me. But I still hope for it to get better, because I see a lot of potential I hope the dev's made use of.

If you haven't gotten it yet, see if you can try it somewhere or try to get a better opinion thorugh trailers and videos - but I wouldn't say it's a must-have for most people... yet.
---
"Evil, beware. We have waffles..."
- Raven, Teen Titans
#15Leroy160Posted 12/13/2012 2:24:02 PM
Kill_Jill_Vol_1 posted...
Leroy160 posted...
Neo1661 posted...
http://www.gamesradar.com/crimson-shroud-review/

That review makes me want to get it even more now.

Wait, really? The review seemed generally negative towards it. Although, the fact it's made by the same guy who did FFTactics makes it an auto buy for me.

Most of the criticisms were pretty petty in my opinion. Once I saw that the characters were pre-set I already knew there was little customization. But still, its the feel/artstyle/figurine and mechanics that drew me to this game.
#16Balthor 2001Posted 12/13/2012 2:24:28 PM
Being a Tabletop junkie like myself it was a must buy. I'm actually trying to figure out how to reverse engineer it into a real P&P game.
---
Pi is awesome, Pi is great, Pi does not end, pie for everyone!
Official Drill Arm of the Kid Icarus Uprising Board
#17Neo1661Posted 12/13/2012 2:26:07 PM
Spent like an hour trying to decided if I should buy this. In the end I caved and it's just finished downloading.
---
http://i.imgur.com/bKCUN.gif