The Region Lock: Why?

#11998_zPosted 12/17/2012 10:32:23 PM(edited)
They could've done it region-free just like the DS.

Although they have reasons, but it isn't strong enough to convice me for doing this. It's a bit restraining(and annoying).

Another question: Where to buy American 3DS in Asia? Also, where to buy Australian 3DS games in Asia?
---
People who like Froslass and/or Swampert just like I do: 8
R - Rocket Scientist || Official Trumpeter of the SMTIV board
#2apollooooPosted 12/17/2012 11:06:08 PM
money
---
Love is a kiss of a terminal bliss. from the smile on your face, to the line you rephrase will guide you to your love.
your love is a kiss, my undying wish
#31998_z(Topic Creator)Posted 12/17/2012 11:08:50 PM
apolloooo posted...
money

Not sure if serious.

Also, if they didn't invent the region lock for the first place it might sell more than this.
---
People who like Froslass and/or Swampert just like I do: 8
R - Rocket Scientist || Official Trumpeter of the SMTIV board
#4VyersPosted 12/17/2012 11:25:30 PM
1998_z posted...
apolloooo posted...
money

Not sure if serious.

Also, if they didn't invent the region lock for the first place it might sell more than this.

It's serious.
---
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
Blog: http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=6123776 / YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear
#5Tempest717Posted 12/17/2012 11:35:07 PM
Why not?
---
Official Cherry Garcia of the IDF
Official Lion Tamer of the NDF
#6IHeartMetroidPosted 12/18/2012 12:38:10 AM
Nintendo likes to have iron fisted control.

They were actually the first company to implement region locking on a console. Remember the old NES? Remember how it became infamous for the "blink on, blink off" phenomena? That was because Nintendo used a lockout chip called the 10NES in every NES that required a very specifically timed signal from a key chip in the cartridges, or...

Blink. Blink. Blink.

Gumpei Yokoi, who designed the Game and Watch and Game Boy, created systems that were very economically sound. Region locking means extra manufacturing has to be done on each console for each region, so there was a long standing tradition that Game Boys didn't use them.

But now that NIntendo no longer has Gumpei on the team, and is listening to every hairbrained idea that Iwata throws out, region locking has now been implemented on Nintendo's handhelds.
#7PSOGuy25Posted 12/18/2012 1:04:21 AM
i just noticed that! i got one on black friday for $20 off, and it says it plays all ds games but only usa 3ds games, if u ask me, its terrible! i had plans of importing project mirae til i saw that! *cries at the evil mindedness of corporate decisions that affect the gamers*
---
psn: oogabooga26
#8SkittyOnWailordPosted 12/18/2012 1:16:18 AM
PSOGuy25 posted...
i just noticed that! i got one on black friday for $20 off, and it says it plays all ds games but only usa 3ds games, if u ask me, its terrible! i had plans of importing project mirae til i saw that! *cries at the evil mindedness of corporate decisions that affect the gamers*

Yep, that's why I bought a Japanese 3DS at launch. ~_^
---
I'm here! I'm furry! I'll try not to shed! =^_^=
#9SF_BahaPosted 12/18/2012 2:26:55 AM
Games don't cost the same amount of money in all regions. Without region locking, regions that pay higher prices for games, such as Australia and Japan, could import games from other regions for cheaper, cutting the developer's profits.

Nintendo was smart to region lock. Who can blame them? Any strategy that maximizes profit is a sound strategy.
---
"USDA Select meat tastes better than USDA Prime." - The Wii gaming mentality.
#10Wario_manPosted 12/18/2012 2:36:52 AM
Most people don't always just import for cheaper. Sometimes the game straight out doesn't come out over here and we've no other way of getting it. I work like 30 hours a week, $60-70 is pretty steep for a portable game sure but I'd still go to the store to get it if I really wanted a game rather than wait a week or two for it to arrive just so save $30.
---
PH1R57 1'lL G37 73H 7R345Ur3, 4nD 7h3N 1'lL G37 JoO.