The Region Lock: Why?

#11SkittyOnWailordPosted 12/18/2012 2:40:13 AM
SF_Baha posted...
Games don't cost the same amount of money in all regions. Without region locking, regions that pay higher prices for games, such as Australia and Japan, could import games from other regions for cheaper, cutting the developer's profits.

Nintendo was smart to region lock. Who can blame them? Any strategy that maximizes profit is a sound strategy.

If that were true, then why are the Japanese version of Pokemon B/W/B2/W2 region locked but not any of the other languages?
---
I'm here! I'm furry! I'll try not to shed! =^_^=
#12IHeartMetroidPosted 12/18/2012 2:42:59 AM
SF_Baha posted...
Games don't cost the same amount of money in all regions. Without region locking, regions that pay higher prices for games, such as Australia and Japan, could import games from other regions for cheaper, cutting the developer's profits.

Nintendo was smart to region lock. Who can blame them? Any strategy that maximizes profit is a sound strategy.

Except of course that international shipping for these imports, coupled with the already steep language barriers that often accompanies importing, reduces or eliminates any cost savings that someone could take advantage of instead of, say, walking across the street to purchase a game.

Seriously- when have you ever actually heard anyone in real life say "I paid for international shipping to buy this game just so I could pay slightly less for it"? No- the reason why people import is because they aren't available over here. Whether it's because it's a niche title (like some anime games) or just because of sheer company stupidity (the refusal to localize Xenoblade, Last Window, Another Code R or The Last Story), cost savings is, quite frankly, only a rather weak excuse.

Bear in mind that Nintendo's most successful system/handheld (the Game Boy/DS line) had complete and unfettered access to every single game from every single region all the way up until this last generation- and yet it not only remained Nintendo's most successful handheld, but it dominated the industry and quite literally kept them afloat when Nintendo's console systems (which were region locked) were floundering.
#13NekoakumaPosted 12/18/2012 2:57:08 AM
^Actually, GS:DD was cheaper to import from America (with shipping ), and you'd get it 1 month before it was released in Aus (at a higher price). (~$20AUD difference iirc)

And language barriers aren't steep. Especially if you import from US to UK/AU.
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.
#14Pawkie07Posted 12/18/2012 3:00:36 AM
1998_z posted...
apolloooo posted...
money

Not sure if serious.

Also, if they didn't invent the region lock for the first place it might sell more than this.

Region locking is why I will never buy a 3ds but there are enough importers out there to make up the difference easily. The greed of nintendo.
#15NekoakumaPosted 12/18/2012 3:02:18 AM
Your loss^
---
#16IHeartMetroidPosted 12/18/2012 3:03:55 AM(edited)
PokeMaster posted...
^Actually, GS:DD was cheaper to import from America (with shipping ), and you'd get it 1 month before it was released in Aus (at a higher price). (~$20AUD difference iirc)

I love how people quote (without any proof, I might add) one game and assume that means every single instance is exactly like that.

"And language barriers aren't steep."

Like this, for instance. The idea that there is no language barrier is pure bullcrap, as any non-Japanese speaking fan of the Legend of Heroes series can tell you. If you don't know the language, getting through Zero No Kiseki poses one hell of a wall.
#17NekoakumaPosted 12/18/2012 3:08:08 AM
IHeartMetroid posted...
PokeMaster posted...

I love how people quote (without any proof, I might add) one game and assume that means every single instance is exactly like that.

"And language barriers aren't steep."

Like this, for instance. The idea that there is no language barrier is pure bullcrap, as any non-Japanese speaking fan of the Legend of Heroes series can tell you. If you don't know the language, getting through Zero No Kiseki poses one hell of a wall.

In most cases for the DS, it was cheaper to import from US to AU.
Notice in my post about the language barriers the 3 countries I mentioned. US, UK, AU.
They all share English as a common tongue. Importing between them means there is NO language barrier whatsoever.

Importing does not automatically mean "from Japan", it means from any region outside of where you currently reside.
---
#18IHeartMetroidPosted 12/18/2012 3:13:41 AM
In most cases for the DS, it was cheaper to import from US to AU.

Quite frankly, I don't believe you. Especially given that I know for a fact that importers take advantage of import scarcity to rack up prices, I find it absolutely impossible to believe that it's significantly cheaper and easier to pay international air freight shipping from a foreign country, as opposed to walking across a street and just picking up a game.

Furthermore, the issue of importing non-Asian language games was already touched upon earlier, so I have no idea why you keep ridiculously bringing it up. Seriously, read the thread.

I find your repeated failed arguments to be tiresome and flawed.
#19NekoakumaPosted 12/18/2012 3:20:34 AM(edited)
IHeartMetroid posted...

And want some proof:

http://www.cnet.com.au/golden-sun-dark-dawn-339307973.htm
Price
AU$69.95 (RRP)

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/11/review-golden-sun-dark-dawn-relives-the-glory-days/
"Retails for $69.95"

Play-Asia lists the game as 34.98AUD for US version
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-ba-49-en-70-3f94.html

and according to my history from Play-Asia
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (US, No Region Protection) 1 US$ 39.90 (AUD~41.22)

+shipping, it's still way less than the rrp in Aus.

---
#20IHeartMetroidPosted 12/18/2012 3:20:28 AM
Your "proof" not only lists multiple sources (which always have difference base level pricing) it doesn't take into account international shipping costs as well. I can find that same game you listed for as little, brand new, as 14.95AUD. Walk into any typical game store and you'll find the same pricing range.

http://www.gameyea.com/golden-sun-dark-dawn-nintendo-ds_p2556.html

Which completely blows your little bits of "proof" right out the window there.