The Region Lock: Why?

#101parKb5Posted 12/21/2012 5:08:13 PM
_Izanagi_ posted...
No Senran Kagura either.

But seriously, I want to play Bravery Default, which America might not get. So only one way to get it. *puts on eye patch and peg leg*

Pretty much. By region locking their product, Nintendo is encouraging you to do so.
---
"Do you want to know the secret of my panties?" - Trucy Wright
3DS FC: 4940-5431-3793 mii: Greg
#102IHeartMetroidPosted 12/21/2012 5:15:05 PM
_Izanagi_ posted...
No Senran Kagura either.

But seriously, I want to play Bravery Default, which America might not get. So only one way to get it. *puts on eye patch and peg leg*

With the way Nintendo's designed the 3DS, not even that is an option anymore. :|

You could always buy a new 3DS just for Bravely Default.
#103zinformantPosted 12/21/2012 5:16:54 PM
IHeartMetroid posted...

That's a difficult purchase to justify.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#104IHeartMetroidPosted 12/21/2012 5:20:26 PM
zinformant posted...
IHeartMetroid posted...

That's a difficult purchase to justify.

And yes, it is. It's also debateably immoral for a company to require a consumer to do.
#105parKb5Posted 12/21/2012 5:24:40 PM
IHeartMetroid posted...
_Izanagi_ posted...
No Senran Kagura either.

With the way Nintendo's designed the 3DS, not even that is an option anymore. :|

If you think about it, Nintendo is sort of shooting themselves in the foot with this region lock. They would sell more Japanese games in other regions if they didn't region lock it. They've already dropped the price on the 3DS so I'm not sure if they are making a profit on each system sold, buy they do make a profit on the games; so selling more games but less systems makes Nintendo more profit.

So by region locking their system, the people who would import games to other regions now can't without putting out another $200.00 to import a Japanese system which not many are willing to do.
---
#106IHeartMetroidPosted 12/21/2012 5:32:28 PM
"If you think about it, Nintendo is sort of shooting themselves in the foot with this region lock."

So true. Last Gen, I missed out on legitimately purchasing Another Code R, Day of Destruction and Pandora's Tower because of Nintendo's region locking on the Wii. At around an average of $30 per title, that means a net loss from me for the company of close to a hundred dollars. Sure, that's not much in the scope of Nintendo's millions, but...

Compare that to the DS Lite, where the Europe-Only game Last Window (which was not region locked) was purchased, by me. That game was also $30, so they got my cash, which otherwise would have gone to something else.
#107parKb5Posted 12/21/2012 5:36:55 PM
IHeartMetroid posted...
"If you think about it, Nintendo is sort of shooting themselves in the foot with this region lock."

So true. Last Gen, I missed out on legitimately purchasing Another Code R, Day of Destruction and Pandora's Tower because of Nintendo's region locking on the Wii. At around an average of $30 per title, that means a net loss from me for the company of close to a hundred dollars. Sure, that's not much in the scope of Nintendo's millions, but...

Compare that to the DS Lite, where the Europe-Only game Last Window (which was not region locked) was purchased, by me. That game was also $30, so they got my cash, which otherwise would have gone to something else.

Yeah, with the DS I imported many Japanese and European games and I would be doing it with the 3DS if it wasn't region locked. Heck, I would have gotten my wife an NA 3DS and imported a slew of games for her by now.
---
#108zinformantPosted 12/21/2012 6:05:13 PM
IHeartMetroid posted...
It's also debateably immoral for a company to require a consumer to do.

Immoral? Nintendo doesn't owe you anything. If you don't like it, you put your money elsewhere. It's that easy. You have no right to be able to play games in every region. Don't pretend you do simply because other consoles are not region locked.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#109IHeartMetroidPosted 12/21/2012 6:12:27 PM
Hey look, a BaHa alt. And one that's been around for a while, from the looks of things.

How ya doing, BaHa?

You know that using a long dormant alt to simply restate your failed argument doesn't actually make you more convincing, right?
#110BreloomPosted 12/21/2012 7:01:35 PM
I've heard the 3DS is region-locked because of pressure from third-parties, particularly sega
---
http://i.imgur.com/EGydz.gif