The Region Lock: Why?

#121zinformantPosted 12/21/2012 10:29:13 PM
mtjormitch posted...
Give me a reason why Region locking is a small minority when anyone who has ever wanted a game from another country but is unable to get it. Look at the UK, Russia, and even New Zealand if you want to know why this is not even close to a minority.

I'm talking about the NA side; admittedly, I know nothing about these areas. I doubt you have any stats either, though. I understand Europeans may have a different view on the issue since they're a different region than NA, but that's a result of rating systems.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#122mtjormitchPosted 12/21/2012 10:36:05 PM
zinformant posted...
mtjormitch posted...
Give me a reason why Region locking is a small minority when anyone who has ever wanted a game from another country but is unable to get it. Look at the UK, Russia, and even New Zealand if you want to know why this is not even close to a minority.

I'm talking about the NA side; admittedly, I know nothing about these areas. I doubt you have any stats either, though. I understand Europeans may have a different view on the issue since they're a different region than NA, but that's a result of rating systems.

Europeans do not get Atlus games... at all. Unless they are EXTREMELY LUCKY.

Russia makes cool games but either most of them never come out over here due to low install base in terms of how cool they are. Metro 2033 being one of the few along with Stalker series.

New zealand is basically ****** when it comes to region locks completely due to how way off it is while it also is a small island.

Australia is the most ****** out of all. Games are 120 bucks... digital games are even more expensive! I am not joking. I remember a post shocking a mario game on 3DS on the united states for 40 bucks. In Australia it was 70 bucks... yeah... they are completely ****** when it comes to pricing and how ban happy the government is.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#123lanifPosted 12/21/2012 10:44:17 PM
i beat the suikoden game with no guides or help at all and i know little japanese
the psp game
---
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben sometimes she hits me first!!!!
#124Xenesis XenonPosted 12/21/2012 11:06:00 PM
zinformant posted...
mtjormitch posted...

If you're outside of America or Japan, defending regional lockouts is basically the gamer's equivalent of unnecessary crotch-kicking.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#125Zero_ManiacPosted 12/21/2012 11:19:07 PM
Region Lock...

One of the few things the Vita has on the 3DS because of it...
---
Currently wanting: A lot of Vita games/accessories!
PSN: Zero_Maniac623
#126Miss_HaruhiPosted 12/21/2012 11:21:20 PM
Me having made the same argument someone did in the past gives your argument no ground, bud. All message boards are are repeated arguments ad infinitum. There are only so many positions to take on an issue. Instead of accusing me to be some goof you don't like, actually provide a counterargument head-on.

And it goes without saying I have over 200 active messages. This is no 'dormant alt' as was alleged. That's impossible.

Hi! I'm an alt.

(insert random attitude era D-Generation X quote here)
---
Current episode: The Victory of Haruhi Suzumiya.
"I'm the prettiest, always" - Me.
#127diddy1278Posted 12/21/2012 11:40:43 PM
Zero_Maniac posted...
Region Lock...

And even with no region lock it still fails to sell shows how important region locking is if even a region free console fails to sell.
#128LightHawKnightPosted 12/21/2012 11:54:17 PM
mtjormitch posted...
zinformant posted...
_Izanagi_ posted...
zinformant posted...
Immoral? Nintendo doesn't owe you anything. If you don't like it, you put your money elsewhere. It's that easy. You have no right to be able to play games in every region. Don't pretend you do simply because other consoles are not region locked.

When you say something as stupid as this, you should expect a response like mine.

A stupid point elicits a stupid response? That's mature. You didn't actually address my point at all. I never said I supported region locking. I'm an importer. Not a heavy one, but I do...nonetheless, the entitlement of the folks (a small minority, mind you) who are anti-region lock is appalling.

It is an incredible minority. Just look at it. The gap between the amount of people who will import compared to those who wont is staggeringly large. So far apparently Nintendo has learned that a company will make more money if the system is region locked, so they region locked it. To for themselves to make more money and any third party developer and or localizer to make more money. There is no loss of money, or at least a lot less loss from those who want to localize a game, since people wont want to buy it in another region first. Games have set prices per region, so the company knows the money they make. Guess which system a company will make a game for? One that makes more money for them? Or less? Hell most people are too lazy to think saving money while purchasing videogames, just look at the terrible store known as GS, who sell games with marked up prices and no one gives a damn. Importing is a lot smaller than you seem to think.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#129mtjormitchPosted 12/21/2012 11:56:56 PM
diddy1278 posted...
Zero_Maniac posted...
Region Lock...

And even with no region lock it still fails to sell shows how important region locking is if even a region free console fails to sell.

No. Because it had no games period... anywhere.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#130thedicemasterPosted 12/21/2012 11:58:06 PM
Zero_Maniac posted...
Region Lock...

the vita has a hidden method of region locking.
you can play retail games from any region, but but if it has a network pass you can't go online if you import it, and dlc doesn't work either.