The Region Lock: Why?

#131mtjormitchPosted 12/21/2012 11:59:02 PM
LightHawKnight posted...
mtjormitch posted...
zinformant posted...
_Izanagi_ posted...
zinformant posted...
Immoral? Nintendo doesn't owe you anything. If you don't like it, you put your money elsewhere. It's that easy. You have no right to be able to play games in every region. Don't pretend you do simply because other consoles are not region locked.

When you say something as stupid as this, you should expect a response like mine.

A stupid point elicits a stupid response? That's mature. You didn't actually address my point at all. I never said I supported region locking. I'm an importer. Not a heavy one, but I do...nonetheless, the entitlement of the folks (a small minority, mind you) who are anti-region lock is appalling.

Give me a reason why Region locking is a small minority when anyone who has ever wanted a game from another country but is unable to get it. Look at the UK, Russia, and even New Zealand if you want to know why this is not even close to a minority.

It is an incredible minority. Just look at it. The gap between the amount of people who will import compared to those who wont is staggeringly large. So far apparently Nintendo has learned that a company will make more money if the system is region locked, so they region locked it. To for themselves to make more money and any third party developer and or localizer to make more money. There is no loss of money, or at least a lot less loss from those who want to localize a game, since people wont want to buy it in another region first. Games have set prices per region, so the company knows the money they make. Guess which system a company will make a game for? One that makes more money for them? Or less? Hell most people are too lazy to think saving money while purchasing videogames, just look at the terrible store known as GS, who sell games with marked up prices and no one gives a damn. Importing is a lot smaller than you seem to think.

Talk to anyone who lives in New Zealand or Australia... you would be surprised by how big it is.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#132mtjormitchPosted 12/22/2012 12:02:52 AM
thedicemaster posted...
Zero_Maniac posted...
Region Lock...

One of the few things the Vita has on the 3DS because of it...

the vita has a hidden method of region locking.
you can play retail games from any region, but but if it has a network pass you can't go online if you import it, and dlc doesn't work either.

That is way better than not being able to play the game at all.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#133KaiserLeoPosted 12/22/2012 12:17:59 AM
zinformant posted...
_Izanagi_ posted...
zinformant posted...
Immoral? Nintendo doesn't owe you anything. If you don't like it, you put your money elsewhere. It's that easy. You have no right to be able to play games in every region. Don't pretend you do simply because other consoles are not region locked.

When you say something as stupid as this, you should expect a response like mine.

A stupid point elicits a stupid response? That's mature. You didn't actually address my point at all. I never said I supported region locking. I'm an importer. Not a heavy one, but I do...nonetheless, the entitlement of the folks (a small minority, mind you) who are anti-region lock is appalling.

It's not entitlement, it's being an unhappy consumer. Stop using irritating buzzwords and get your tongue off Iwata's rear end.
---
I hate thongs, both kinds.
#134TerraPhantomPosted 12/22/2012 2:32:17 AM
zinformant posted...
IHeartMetroid posted...
It's also debateably immoral for a company to require a consumer to do.

A) He said it's debatable

B) Actually he does have a right to play games in every region. There's nothing inherently illegal about importing video games and playing them in a different region.

With that said, Nintendo does have the right to make playing games from other regions difficult/impossible. I don't agree with it, and I find any justifications for the practice to be laughably weak. It's just a money grab pure and simple.
#135darkness1018Posted 12/22/2012 2:50:45 AM
thedicemaster posted...
Zero_Maniac posted...
Region Lock...

One of the few things the Vita has on the 3DS because of it...

the vita has a hidden method of region locking.
you can play retail games from any region, but but if it has a network pass you can't go online if you import it, and dlc doesn't work either.

Get a cheap 4 gig memory card ($20), make an account for the region you wanna play the game online with and download DLC for, problem solved.
---
PSN-nightwing2099
#136_Izanagi_Posted 12/22/2012 3:50:49 AM
Baha and his alt, zinformant is just being a troll. He knows the stuff he says is utter garbage, but it gets a rise out of people.
---
"The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed."
#137PokeMasterPosted 12/22/2012 4:01:40 AM
For arguments sake, say the 3DS was region free. (Random numbers, but you get the idea)

We have 100 people from AU.

5 of them will import from Japan.
80 will buy locally
15 will buy from from a cheaper region (ie; US)

Japan gains 5 sales. Australia loses 15.

Now, with the region lock:
0 Buy from Japan
100 buy locally.
Money is kept for the gaming industry in Australia (which is needs badly)
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.
#138parKb5Posted 12/22/2012 6:59:18 AM
LightHawKnight posted...
mtjormitch posted...
zinformant posted...
_Izanagi_ posted...
zinformant posted...

Give me a reason why Region locking is a small minority when anyone who has ever wanted a game from another country but is unable to get it. Look at the UK, Russia, and even New Zealand if you want to know why this is not even close to a minority.

It is an incredible minority. Just look at it. The gap between the amount of people who will import compared to those who wont is staggeringly large. So far apparently Nintendo has learned that a company will make more money if the system is region locked, so they region locked it. To for themselves to make more money and any third party developer and or localizer to make more money. There is no loss of money, or at least a lot less loss from those who want to localize a game, since people wont want to buy it in another region first. Games have set prices per region, so the company knows the money they make. Guess which system a company will make a game for? One that makes more money for them? Or less? Hell most people are too lazy to think saving money while purchasing videogames, just look at the terrible store known as GS, who sell games with marked up prices and no one gives a damn. Importing is a lot smaller than you seem to think.

If an incredible minority import games, how does region locking a system make Nintendo more money? They would only be making money off an incredible minority which is to say, hardly any money at all. Plus to region lock a system doesn't that COST Nintendo money? They have to add something to each and every system in order to region lock it.

So in short: Nintendo spends extra money on EACH AND EVERY system in order to make money on an INCREDIBLE MINORITY of people who would actually import games?

It makes no sense.
---
"Do you want to know the secret of my panties?" - Trucy Wright
3DS FC: 4940-5431-3793 mii: Greg
#139parKb5Posted 12/22/2012 7:04:00 AM
PokeMaster posted...
For arguments sake, say the 3DS was region free. (Random numbers, but you get the idea)

We have 100 people from AU.

5 of them will import from Japan.
80 will buy locally
15 will buy from from a cheaper region (ie; US)

Japan gains 5 sales. Australia loses 15.

Now, with the region lock:
0 Buy from Japan
100 buy locally.
Money is kept for the gaming industry in Australia (which is needs badly)

Although, if AUS actually cared about those 15 sales, maybe they would lower their price. And actually you are missing the number of people in AUS that imported a US or EU 3DS because of the region lock, so AUS makes absolutely NO money off of them.
---
"Do you want to know the secret of my panties?" - Trucy Wright
3DS FC: 4940-5431-3793 mii: Greg
#140PokeMasterPosted 12/22/2012 7:05:07 AM
aussie tax system is the real killer imo.
everything here is expensive =/
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.