The Region Lock: Why?

#141zinformantPosted 12/22/2012 7:06:08 AM
KaiserLeo posted...
It's not entitlement, it's being an unhappy consumer. Stop using irritating buzzwords and get your tongue off Iwata's rear end.

As I said, unhappy consumers, if that's what you want to be, put their money elsewhere. That sends a message to Nintendo if it's significant. I'd wager it's not. The vocal minority do not drive the game industry, and the effect Pokemaster posted is, thus, stronger than any benefit of allowing you to be able to play, say, a JP game on your 3DS.

TerraPhantom posted...
B) Actually he does have a right to play games in every region. There's nothing inherently illegal about importing video games and playing them in a different region.

I didn't say it was illegal. It's not black and white.

_Izanagi_ posted...
Baha and his alt, zinformant is just being a troll. He knows the stuff he says is utter garbage, but it gets a rise out of people.

This guy evidently can't post anything intelligent so resorts to this nonsense.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#142parKb5Posted 12/22/2012 7:11:50 AM
PokeMaster posted...
aussie tax system is the real killer imo.
everything here is expensive =/

My wife says that everything in Japan is expensive when compared to the US, too.

Just before the big earthquake there was a time when the yen was higher than the US dollar, my wife said that people were flying to Hawaii just to buy expensive stuff like Gucci and Coach, which is much more expensive in Japan.

But I think everyone (except Japan) loses out with the region lock. Even in AUS there must be plenty of people that just imported a US 3DS (that's what I would have done) so AUS gets no money from them.

If there was no region lock AUS would at least make the money on the system and maybe a handful of games that people are just too lazy to import (ie: want the game right now and willing to pay the extra money to avoid the wait time) If they import the system, they have no choice but to import EVERY game too.
---
"Do you want to know the secret of my panties?" - Trucy Wright
3DS FC: 4940-5431-3793 mii: Greg
#143zinformantPosted 12/22/2012 7:13:56 AM
There's another dimension here nobody's mentioned. If someone decides to live in Australia, I'd imagine video games aren't the only things that come at a steep price tag. They've made a choice to live there and outweighed the negatives.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
#144parKb5Posted 12/22/2012 7:16:36 AM
zinformant posted...
There's another dimension here nobody's mentioned. If someone decides to live in Australia, I'd imagine video games aren't the only things that come at a steep price tag. They've made a choice to live there and outweighed the negatives.

Right, but if you live in AUS where they speak English why wouldn't you import a US 3DS? It is cheaper and the games are cheaper and there are more games released in the US than in AUS.

It would make more sense to just ignore the AUS game industry altogether and just buy from the US. Therefore AUS makes no money off of these guys.

That is what I would do if I lived in AUS, just import everything from the US. It is win win for the gamer.
---
#145zinformantPosted 12/22/2012 7:19:14 AM
If it were me...I'd either do that or get into cheap southeast Asian knockoffs, I guess.
---
#146parKb5Posted 12/22/2012 7:21:18 AM
zinformant posted...
If it were me...I'd either do that or get into cheap southeast Asian knockoffs, I guess.

Right, so AUS would make no money off of us because of the region lock, but without a region lock, AUS would make money off of the system and any game we would buy off the eShop at the very least, not to mention some random used games that might be cheaper then importing.
---
#147Xenesis XenonPosted 12/22/2012 3:24:33 PM
PokeMaster posted...
For arguments sake, say the 3DS was region free. (Random numbers, but you get the idea)

We have 100 people from AU.

5 of them will import from Japan.
80 will buy locally
15 will buy from from a cheaper region (ie; US)

Japan gains 5 sales. Australia loses 15.

Now, with the region lock:
0 Buy from Japan
100 buy locally.
Money is kept for the gaming industry in Australia (which is needs badly)

It's not just the gamer themselves. There are a lot of stores here who do it too (Places like ShinTokyo, DVDCrave and a lot of others) who import out of region games to be competitive with the big stores like EBGames, because it's the only way they can offer good prices to the customer. So really all the region lock does is artificially inflate our prices.

Over half my Nintendo DS collection is not Aus cartridges, but I did buy a lot of them locally because they were being sold in stores here, too.

Just as a complete point of reference: Australian DVD players are required to be region free by law (there was a high court case lost in the early noughties) and the other point is that parallel importing (eg, buying goods into the country with any distributor) is completely legal.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#148PokeMasterPosted 12/22/2012 9:01:50 PM
Yeah, there are heaps of stores that parallel import not just video games, but printer ink, other electronics, etc.
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.
#149PokeMasterPosted 12/22/2012 11:16:55 PM
"Many consumers now take advantage of online stores in Hong Kong and the United States to purchase computer games at or near half the cost of a retail purchase from the Australian RRP... An example is Crysis, which was available from Hong Kong online stores for approximately $50 AUD but whose retail cost in Australia was close to $100."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_import#Australia
http://www.theage.com.au/business/retailers-rock-the-boat-with-parallel-imports-20100114-ma5h.html
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.