The Region Lock: Why?

#21NekoakumaPosted 12/18/2012 3:25:26 AM(edited)
The cheapest shipping on PA is .50c, up to ~$20 or so for courier. Add those to my transaction history and it's still cheaper than the rrp.
Your prices are current prices, mine are based off when the game came out.

And again from a contemporary source:
http://www.vooks.net/aussie-golden-sun-dark-dawn-bargain-round-up/

Dick Smith $69.94

EB Games $68.00

JB Hi-Fi $64.00

GAME $64.00

Games101.com.au $62.95

Toys R Us $59.00

Which makes it cheaper to import back then, and with your link, it's still cheaper to import the US version now than buy second hand.
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.
#22IHeartMetroidPosted 12/18/2012 3:25:36 AM
"Your prices are current prices, mine are based off when the game came out."

And are still completely irrelevant, since you could list ten different prices from ten different stores and come up with ten different results, all tailored to just how you wanted them to be. Buying from a boutique will net you a different result from buying from a discounter or a wholesaler.

But importing will not net you a significant price savings.
#23NekoakumaPosted 12/18/2012 3:33:16 AM(edited)
IHeartMetroid posted...

You musn't know Australian game prices for new games then.
---
#24IHeartMetroidPosted 12/18/2012 3:45:20 AM(edited)
PokeMaster posted...
IHeartMetroid posted...

You musn't know Australian game prices for new games then.

Perhaps... But I do know that the exchange rate for 2011 (which is the last reliable date that the WayBack machine can bring up a page for your "proof" link at eBGames) gives the AUD at .73 at the current time that Golden Sun was listed, thus creating a rather massive exchange rate difference.

I will restate, and you have NOT refuted anything in it, either- Except of course that international shipping for these imports, coupled with the already steep language barriers that often accompanies importing, reduces or eliminates any cost savings that someone could take advantage of instead of, say, walking across the street to purchase a game.

Seriously- when have you ever actually heard anyone in real life say "I paid for international shipping to buy this game just so I could pay slightly less for it"? No- the reason why people import is because they aren't available over here. Whether it's because it's a niche title (like some anime games) or just because of sheer company stupidity (the refusal to localize Xenoblade, Last Window, Another Code R or The Last Story), cost savings is, quite frankly, only a rather weak excuse.

Bear in mind that Nintendo's most successful system/handheld (the Game Boy/DS line) had complete and unfettered access to every single game from every single region all the way up until this last generation- and yet it not only remained Nintendo's most successful handheld, but it dominated the industry and quite literally kept them afloat when Nintendo's console systems (which were region locked) were floundering.
#25CressDXXPosted 12/18/2012 3:50:06 AM
The 3DS will be my last Nintendo handheld if they do the same thing for the next...
Im tired with this BS.
---
3DS FC: 4425-1804-8511
GT: CressDX
#26NekoakumaPosted 12/18/2012 3:54:47 AM(edited)
I wasn't disagreeing with your post, just the initial start. There are people who do import games because they are cheaper in total.
There are always gamers looking to do so. And I have heard someone say something similar to that..well not exactly heard, since I'm the one who said it to a friend. (bought GSDD cheaper and got it before him..so yeah).

But other than that I agree with your post

slightly related, based on prices listed at EB Games AU and GameStop + USPS Parcel Post (if I read the right list), it'd still be ~$15 cheaper to import US Prof. Layton MoM (if the 3DS wasn't locked)
---
#27IHeartMetroidPosted 12/18/2012 4:14:26 AM
"slightly related, based on prices listed at EB Games AU and GameStop + USPS Parcel Post (if I read the right list), it'd still be ~$15 cheaper to import US Prof. Layton MoM (if the 3DS wasn't locked)"

You also seem to be confusing price differential with scaled economics. I was hoping you would pick up on the exchange rate... but I'll be a little blunter...

A loaf of bread costs about a buck in Portland. Average price I've seen in Supermarkets is about .89 give or take sales into account.

In Australia that same loaf will run the average consumer close to $5.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/photos/food-price-comparison-around-the-world/#photoID-3656017

As an example.

Gas here is a little over 2 bucks a gallon, while in AUD you're looking at over $5.

Basically what that means is that despite there being what you (living in Japan) would consider to be a large price differential, when you take the exchange rate into account, economics in Australia and wage factors, quite frankly $15 AUD doesn't amount to much incentive.

TL/DR version- each AUD is worth quite a bit less, commodity wise, than the exchangeable US currency, but the wage differential makes up for it.
#28DeathSoul2000Posted 12/18/2012 4:18:44 AM
CressDXX posted...
The 3DS will be my last Nintendo handheld if they do the same thing for the next...
Im tired with this BS.

well you'll have to wait 4-5 years to find out.
#29DOAsaturnPosted 12/18/2012 6:17:55 AM
I don't really think there is a point to region locking other than "protecting" the authorized sales of a game. If a game is licensed for the Asian market, then it sells only to that market and is produced only for play on a console from that market. That's how I see it, and that's why I think it's pointless. I guess Nintendo can sell a few extra 3DS's because of the people who want a JP one and NA/EU/AU one, but it really is utterly pointless...
---
weekendroady.com
#30Mariofan15Posted 12/18/2012 6:36:56 AM
1998_z posted...
apolloooo posted...
money

Not sure if serious.

Also, if they didn't invent the region lock for the first place it might sell more than this.

Region locking is why I will never buy a 3ds but there are enough importers out there to make up the difference easily. The greed of nintendo.

Lol,no.
---
0476-5632-3140:Pokemon White 2