The Region Lock: Why?

#81BountyAssassinPosted 12/19/2012 7:47:43 PM
Yeah, just curious i guess.

Well, thanks for explaining it to me
#82RetroFanGirlPosted 12/19/2012 7:50:07 PM
IHeartMetroid posted...
In most cases for the DS, it was cheaper to import from US to AU.

Quite frankly, I don't believe you. Especially given that I know for a fact that importers take advantage of import scarcity to rack up prices, I find it absolutely impossible to believe that it's significantly cheaper and easier to pay international air freight shipping from a foreign country, as opposed to walking across a street and just picking up a game.

Furthermore, the issue of importing non-Asian language games was already touched upon earlier, so I have no idea why you keep ridiculously bringing it up. Seriously, read the thread.

I find your repeated failed arguments to be tiresome and flawed.

You're not familiar with AU are you?
---
Hi.
#83ItemBreakPosted 12/19/2012 8:05:10 PM
_Izanagi_ posted...
They don't release a game here in America. I still play it through... "alternative" means. Now Ninty gets no monies and I still play the game. Now who's losing money?

If publishing the game wouldn't have turned a profit anyway, then Nintendo's technically not losing anything.
#84_Izanagi_Posted 12/19/2012 8:14:18 PM
ItemBreak posted...
_Izanagi_ posted...
They don't release a game here in America. I still play it through... "alternative" means. Now Ninty gets no monies and I still play the game. Now who's losing money?

If publishing the game wouldn't have turned a profit anyway, then Nintendo's technically not losing anything.

I meant importing a game from Japan or Europe. Those have been published and I would have bought them if they could be played on an American 3DS.
---
"The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed."
#85silenthill4vidPosted 12/19/2012 8:36:45 PM
parKb5 posted...
PokeMaster posted...
because gamefaqs.

Well, you are Japanese. Region locking doesn't affect you one bit.

importers too, what are peps going to do when they are able to import? create their own stories? lol
---
splinter cell: blacklist......the latest game series turned generic shooter.
#86Frost_LASERPosted 12/19/2012 9:03:29 PM
Aaantlion posted...
The topic post is basically silliness.

1. Region-locking was introduced into handhelds with the dsi so, for starters, it isn't new.
2. It strengthens the local markets and makes it easier to measure sales.
3. There are titles for the Japanese market that Nintendo doesn't want to see over here, like games about groping witches.
4. It also helps combat piracy to some extent.

I think there is probably some truth for each reason listed in the thread, but I think Nintendo likes to keep a tight hold on censorship as they are "family" orientated.

Heaven forbid Timmy in the US sees a woman dressed scantily clad in his game and does something stupid of a totally unrelated cause, which leads to his idiotic parents suing Nintendo for allowing such a perverted game into the country when his poor behaviour is actually a result of half assed parenting. This then gets on the news and hurts Nintendo's publicity.
#87ItemBreakPosted 12/19/2012 9:24:54 PM
_Izanagi_ posted...
I meant importing a game from Japan or Europe. Those have been published and I would have bought them if they could be played on an American 3DS.

I see what you mean. It's undeniably a loss, but apparently Nintendo thinks there's more to gain in forcing Australians and Japanese to pay domestic prices for games.
#88SF_BahaPosted 12/19/2012 9:47:27 PM
_Izanagi_ posted...
I see Baha still has a hard-on for region locking.

Baha, look at it this way. They don't release a game here in America. I still play it through... "alternative" means. Now Ninty gets no monies and I still play the game. Now who's losing money?

Well gosh, aren't you the one in charge. You stick it to the man there buddy. You are above paying for goods and services! You own this planet! I would kiss your ass if you commanded. After all, how could I not? You control reality. You are master of reality. You have all the reality gems from that episode of Danny Phantom where Freakshow gets all the reality gems.
---
"USDA Select meat tastes better than USDA Prime." - The Wii gaming mentality.
#89VyersPosted 12/19/2012 9:59:37 PM
SF_Baha posted...
_Izanagi_ posted...

Baha, look at it this way. They don't release a game here in America. I still play it through... "alternative" means. Now Ninty gets no monies and I still play the game. Now who's losing money?

Well gosh, aren't you the one in charge. You stick it to the man there buddy. You are above paying for goods and services! You own this planet! I would kiss your ass if you commanded. After all, how could I not? You control reality. You are master of reality. You have all the reality gems from that episode of Danny Phantom where Freakshow gets all the reality gems.

I'm confused - how is he above paying for goods and services when Nintendo seemed disinterested in allowing him to give them money? It's similar to, say, emulating Mother. Your options are play it in Japanese, or emulate it. If Nintendo wanted you to not do it, they would have released their fully-completed, fully-localized video game.
---
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
Blog: http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=6123776 / YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear
#90_Izanagi_Posted 12/19/2012 10:35:17 PM
Vyers posted...
SF_Baha posted...
_Izanagi_ posted...

I'm confused - how is he above paying for goods and services when Nintendo seemed disinterested in allowing him to give them money? It's similar to, say, emulating Mother. Your options are play it in Japanese, or emulate it. If Nintendo wanted you to not do it, they would have released their fully-completed, fully-localized video game.

Finally somebody who gets it. This is exactly my point. I want to give mt money to Nintendo, but Nintendo doesn't seem to want it. I could emulate hundreds of games, but I don't because I like playing them on Nintendo's systems and I like supporting the developers. But Nintendo is making it very hard to do any of that.
---
"The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed."