How many people here actually want the 3ds to be hacked?

#51Kaze_MemaryuPosted 12/18/2012 12:28:01 PM
Haku posted...
Kaze_Memaryu posted...
Pigfarts posted...
its funny when people are like "for homebrew"...oh and I don't pirate games...yeah sure you don't

Dude, you obviously don't understand the purpose of homebrew.

Homebrew is an effort of increasing/extending the functionality of a platform or console with homemade programs, but they never support piracy. Other people who put a lot of effort into creating programs for playing pirated games are to blame for that. Unfortunately, there's barely anything we can do to stop those pirates once Homebrew is possible - but still, 'support Homebrew' doesn't automatically mean 'support pirating'.

If Nintendo didn't region lock the 3DS, they would have much fewer problems with hackers.

To be fair though, sometimes homebrew is just an excuse. Look at the 360, both the hacks that can do homebrew, can do it by just running Xell. A lot of the homebrew that's available now, boots from Xell. If the goal was just homebrew, no piracy, then it's achieved by that & you can stop.

But of course they went a step further and made hacked versions of the MS dash with just about every security check disabled, while still claiming it's for homebrew & consistently update these hacked version so new games can be played, but still, just for homebrew.

As I said, the original Homebrewers don't support it in the slightest, but they can't stop other greedy hackers from going overboard with hacking.
Just look at the Wii. Team Twiizer released Homebrew to get past region-locking and grant a small platform for homemade games and utilities (media players, File managers, savegame transfer...). The community even launched their own site for downloading those programs, but none of them are used to play pirated/illegal copies of Wii games. They aren't even featured on their internet site.
There will always be some guys who don't want to pay for anything, and those pirates are technically unstoppable, but don't forget that it's the people who pirate, not the programs. So, if we don't use these illegal game loaders, everything's fine.
---
"Evil, beware. We have waffles..."
- Raven, Teen Titans
#52T3H_1337_N1NJ4Posted 12/18/2012 12:30:00 PM
21_21 posted...
T3H_1337_N1NJ4 posted...

http://www.megapirateninjas.com/2011/04/ace-attorney-investigations-2-not.html

"The previous game had already met a similar fate in Europe. The game received a very limited release in the EU due to Capcom viewing the large scale pirating of DS titles in Europe as a big problem for the game's success."

Say that to the publishers.

So what? Piracy is still not big of a problem. You're right. Thu publishers should understand this fact.

So you don't care that the 3DS will get less games?

It doesn't matter if in your world piracy isn't a problem. In the world the publishers live in it is. And a very real one at that.

In fact, I'd be playing Ace Attorney Investigations 2 now if it wasn't for piracy...
---
To err is human, but to really screw things up you need a computer!
NNID: CodenameGreyFox
#53F_WolfPosted 12/18/2012 12:31:31 PM
nikowwf posted...
It's irrelevent, NIntendo finally figured out a way to kill the flash cards on 3ds. They'll just constantly plug the holes. It would be a chore to use it for piracy (which is what you all want). Waste of time.

Because that worked so well for the Wii...and the 360....
#54BadDecisionsPosted 12/18/2012 12:37:37 PM
I want all hardware to be open.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSLJJDRA-jQ
Rate and subscribe. Very good best videos all the day!
#55Kaze_MemaryuPosted 12/18/2012 12:39:42 PM
T3H_1337_N1NJ4 posted...
21_21 posted...
T3H_1337_N1NJ4 posted...

http://www.megapirateninjas.com/2011/04/ace-attorney-investigations-2-not.html

"The previous game had already met a similar fate in Europe. The game received a very limited release in the EU due to Capcom viewing the large scale pirating of DS titles in Europe as a big problem for the game's success."

Say that to the publishers.

So what? Piracy is still not big of a problem. You're right. Thu publishers should understand this fact.

So you don't care that the 3DS will get less games?

It doesn't matter if in your world piracy isn't a problem. In the world the publishers live in it is. And a very real one at that.

In fact, I'd be playing Ace Attorney Investigations 2 now if it wasn't for piracy...

Honestly, developers just love to exaggerate, so I wouldn't wonder if they just used the piracy news as an excuse to save themselves the localization.
Pirates barely impacted DS sales at all, since Flashcarts are still expensive and many people actually appreciate a game released far enough to buy it.
---
"Evil, beware. We have waffles..."
- Raven, Teen Titans
#56F_WolfPosted 12/18/2012 12:45:04 PM(edited)
pbandjames posted...
MahoganyTooth92 posted...
Stykmeister posted...
Nintendo are being very strict about 3DS. I read an article somewhere that if you update it with an unauthorised piece of software, they will brick it.

Wait...so nintendo is intentionally bricking your console?
Can't they be sued for that?

If Nintendo actually did that, no, you would not be able to sue them. It would just come as a firmware update, and it it bricked, tough crap.

Because you're using software to alter the software in the system, the warranty is voided. So, they don't have to care about your problems. Only if you had it bricked legitimately is it their problem.

...and wrong. Nintendo can not release a update with the express purpose of bricking modified consoles. If they went out of there way to secretly make a update that indirectly bricked modified ones, it still wouldn't matter, because they would have no way of knowing if it was modified before hand or not in that case when someone sent it in for repairs.

You would be talking about a update, disguised as a regular firmware update (which all modified consoles block anyway...but let pretend the 3ds doesn't for some reason) that not only bricks a modified 3ds and NOT a regular one, it leaves behind a easily identifiable flag that marks the console as "modified before update", that they then have to train everyone in there repair process to look for.

Then, they would have to restructure their repair facilities to do the check, because units under warranty are "rapid exchanged" which means your broken unit goes into a pile, and you just get mailed the first fixed unit, you don't get back your own. A small check is made to the unit you send it to check for water and accidental damage (both checked without opening the unit) and that is it.

The entire idea of such a thing would just be absurd and silly. All if it would also be for pretty much nothing, as 1) Modified consoles block harmful updates such as firmware updates and if they didn't 2) There would be warnings all over instructions to anyone doing the mod to NEVER accept UPDATES and 3) the hackers would have worked around it in a week tops.

So you would catch a handful of people that are to stupid to follow instructions that just happened to update there firmware that week.
#5790sRetroGamingPosted 12/18/2012 12:47:47 PM
T3H_1337_N1NJ4 posted...
90sRetroGaming posted...
I want it to be hacked simply for the fact that it'll make MK7 more interesting with hackers around. call me crazy but i love them and all the chaos they bring! xD. it's one of the reasons i still love MKW as much as i do!. without them i probrably would've got bored with it year ago...

You're crazy, and that's not to use a worse word. There's nothing fun about racing with idiots who spend the entire race in Star mode.

I guess you're reffering to FTW's. i HATE FTW's. FTL's hack everyone but purposefully lose at the end and you gain free VR. i'm playing with them at this very moment and it's very fun. to each their own though.
---
"OldSchoolGaming4Life" on YT/"90sRetroGaming" on mariokartwii.com
#58DGM09Posted 12/18/2012 12:52:37 PM
So basically you suck and just like extra points.
---
Bang.
#5990sRetroGamingPosted 12/18/2012 1:01:29 PM
DGM09 posted...
So basically you suck and just like extra points.

Yes because you've seen me play MKW numerous times right?. i'm such a noob.. i mean c'mon, i've only been playing for three+ years now. ass.
---
"OldSchoolGaming4Life" on YT/"90sRetroGaming" on mariokartwii.com
#60DGM09Posted 12/18/2012 1:06:34 PM
I would think you wouldn't need free points after 3 years of playing. How bad exactly are you, huh?
---
Bang.