Will we ever see a true Super Mario RPG sequal?

#101StealthlysPosted 12/26/2012 3:19:31 PM
Danspurt posted...
Yeah, I don't think SMRPG is the best Mario RPG either.

But I would still really like to see a new Mario RPG in a full-3D environment.
#102luigi33Posted 12/26/2012 4:14:02 PM
all I see is Luigi basing quality on graphics.

Lolno. Just because you control 3 people doesn't make it more complex. Final Fantasy 1 had you controlling 3 people, does that mean its more complex? Super Mario RPG was a simpleton's RPG, it offered nothing close to the battle systems of Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and Secret of Mana series. It was very straight forward and the only thing that made it unique was timed hits, that, like I said earlier, got expanded on in future games.

---
Specs: [Intel i5 3570k] [16GB DDR3] [GA-Z77X-UD3H]
[CM Hyper 212+] [GTX 560ti]
#103gransPosted 12/26/2012 5:51:24 PM
Mario RPG's combat system felt somewhat more complex than at least the original Paper Mario's even during the short time when you only had two party members briefly. TTYD is much more debatable, especially with the audience. But having three really isn't the only reason I found it complex. I liked having three party members at once regardless though. I also find battles to be faster paced and the way you execute timed hits to be more fluid than Paper Mario's. There's even more of a variable amount of damage you can cause or receive depending on how you time your hits (you can get a normal timed hit or a "perfect" one that provides even greater offensive or defensive power). This goes for special skills too.

You've made it clear that you don't like the early CGI clay look to the game. That's something I feel gives it its special atmosphere, there's not a really objective way to say which is better besides "IMO". I love the look, I love the music, I like how the entire game feels from a presentation stand point. I love Paper Mario's way of doing it as well (not so much with M&L, personal preference). But i'll always like the original Mario RPG best in this regard. There are also going to be people who disliked the paper gimmick in PM, opinions are always going to boil people's emotions who can't handle that people have different tastes. I like both.

To me I enjoyed the story in Mario RPG more, but the writing in Paper Mario and M&L more. Humor was better in later titles, but I just liked the way the core plot went more in the original. And obvious plus of having a sequel would be a story more like the original but the superior writing and comedy introduced by the others.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#104Minatokun13Posted 12/26/2012 5:57:25 PM
I LOVED SMRPG.

The First Mario and Luigi was okay, and it made me laugh, which SMRPG never did, but other than that there was nothing about it I'd say I liked better than SMRPG.

Partners in Time I couldn't even finish, and I had absolutely no interest in the 3rd one.
#105Catcher_FreemanPosted 12/26/2012 6:38:31 PM
if anything has bad art style and bad graphics it is Paper Mario. 3 year old children's books called and they want their graphics back.

lolno
---
http://i.imgur.com/8Ri7C.jpg - Viridi is best goddess.
#106SW_FFXIfanPosted 12/26/2012 6:54:57 PM
SMRPG = best mario rpg.

Everything > Sonic
---
LoL IGN: Butch Magnus
#107luigi33Posted 12/26/2012 8:43:01 PM
Mario RPG's combat system felt somewhat more complex than at least the original Paper Mario's even during the short time when you only had two party members briefly.

Badge system and star system is more complex than anything from SMRPG.

TTYD is much more debatable, especially with the audience.

How is that even debatable?

ut having three really isn't the only reason I found it complex.

Having 3 party members isn't a good reason at all to find it complex.

I also find battles to be faster paced and the way you execute timed hits to be more fluid than Paper Mario's.

What does 'fluid' even me? Can you stop being so general please?
There's even more of a variable amount of damage you can cause or receive depending on how you time your hits (you can get a normal timed hit or a "perfect" one that provides even greater offensive or defensive power). This goes for special skills too.

---
#108luigi33Posted 12/26/2012 8:43:15 PM
PM series has special moves too. And Mario and Luigi series blows both out of the way when it comes to complexity of special moves and the battle system itself.

I love the look, I love the music, I like how the entire game feels from a presentation stand point.

Look is awful, the music is great. Though I always thought the battle music was the weakest in SMRPG.

To me I enjoyed the story in Mario RPG more, but the writing in Paper Mario and M&L more. Humor was better in later titles, but I just liked the way the core plot went more in the original. And obvious plus of having a sequel would be a story more like the original but the superior writing and comedy introduced by the others.

The plot is pretty cool, if not a bit Final Fantasy. Though I don't think its the best (give that to PM:TTYD and BiS.

Partners in Time I couldn't even finish, and I had absolutely no interest in the 3rd one.

Thats too bad, because general consensus is that the 3rd one is just as good as the first.
---
#109NookytinsPosted 12/26/2012 9:00:10 PM
There's a lot of butthurt and denial in this topic.
#110BoosterBurstPosted 12/26/2012 9:18:24 PM
Nookytins posted...
There's a lot of butthurt and denial in this topic.

yep, Luigi mad.

he's going on the hipster bandwagon of hating on this superb game because it is the new cool thing to do. and he's probably also playing pewpew of duty as I type this on my cell. anyhow, never seen the ridiculous amount of hate on this game until very recent, kinda like with FFVII. they hate on them because those games are better than the games they like