Will we ever see a true Super Mario RPG sequal?

#111luigi33Posted 12/26/2012 11:02:58 PM(edited)
yep, Luigi mad.

More like you mad, that not everyone thinks old = better.

kinda like with FFVII. they hate on them because those games are better than the games they like

Thats funny, because I think FFVI > FFVII. But again it isn't from a nostalgic point of view unlike yourself.

he's going on the hipster bandwagon of hating on this superb game because it is the new cool thing to do. and he's probably also playing pewpew of duty as I type this on my cell.

Lol, I play some hardcore games. Probably stuff you've never played or heard of.

Deus Ex, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 2, Original Fallout series, System Shock 2.

I play old and new games. Each 'older' game that I listed actually stood the test of time.

---
Specs: [Intel i5 3570k] [16GB DDR3] [GA-Z77X-UD3H]
[CM Hyper 212+] [GTX 560ti]
#112Stefan1277Posted 12/26/2012 11:03:11 PM
You say a sequAl. I wonder how come they don't see the damn red lines under the typo and try to google the right spelling.
---
I'm a ninja. (You can't see me)
http://colorslive.com/author.php?page=1&id=38434
#113Kill_Jill_Vol_1Posted 12/26/2012 11:05:11 PM
Stefan1277 posted...
You say a sequAl. I wonder how come they don't see the damn red lines under the typo and try to google the right spelling.

He meant to say "squeakquel".
---
Official Concubine of the NDF
3DS FC: 1032-2577-9994
#114gransPosted 12/26/2012 11:21:50 PM
Fluid is the word i'm using to describe how fast paced the battles go as well as how the timed hits feel. Paper Mario had a slow stiff feel to the battles. To be less vague, I didn't like how slowly both you and enemies move in to attack in Paper Mario. Even if there were a larger quantity of enemies onscreen in Mario RPG than there were in a battle in PM, i'm able to dispatch them quicker. And it's not because the enemies took any more hits to defeat (they didn't in general), it was because the animations were as padded. I didn't become as bored fighting regular enemies in Mario RPG than I did in Paper Mario.

I also felt the timed hits were less stiff to pull off in Mario RPG than Paper Mario, especially jumping and guarding. This was actually fixed somewhat in TTYD but not completely. The only game in the series that rivals the responsiveness of Mario RPG's timed hits is probably Mario & Luigi 3. The first M&L (while improved over the original Paper Mario) had some jerky timed hits, felt a little stiff. Partners in Time's timed hits were more responsive than the original game's and WOULD have been fine but went overboard with trying to way over-complicate things with the babies. The third game pretty much nailed it, nicely responsive and not stiff. Only problem is that I was rather bored playing as M&L and far preferred playing as Bowser.

Paper Mario had a badge and star summoning system. But then again Mario RPG had an equipment system that wasn't without depth similar to other RPG's of the time (particularly Final Fantasy). You could equip three items to each character- a weapon, armor, and an accessory. The accessories particularly brought in a nice level of strategy. If you were having trouble with a certain enemy putting you to sleep, you could equip a wake up pin. Or if they're transforming you into mushrooms and scarecrows, you can equip a true form pin. There's tons of these accessories that prevent status effects, raise stats, and others (there's even one that alerts you when hidden treasure is near). Also for each character there are three different varieties of weapon. For example, Mario can equip gloves, hammers, and shells as his weapons. Each type of weapon has a different method of timing to it.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#115luigi33Posted 12/26/2012 11:40:23 PM
Fluid is the word i'm using to describe how fast paced the battles go as well as how the timed hits feel.

Eh...the battles are actually pretty slow to me. Largely because you have to decide what each member does before the turn plays. In PM each member selects a move, and performs the action on that same turn. Makes for far more fluid gameplay.

I also felt the timed hits were less stiff to pull off in Mario RPG than Paper Mario, especially jumping and guarding. This was actually fixed somewhat in TTYD but not completely.

lol wat. Maybe in PM1. But PM2's timed hits were ****ing amazing. Especially with trying to impress the 'crowd' that gathered everytime a battle formed.

The only game in the series that rivals the responsiveness of Mario RPG's timed hits is probably Mario & Luigi 3.

Disagree. I honestly don't see any difference in terms of 'responsiveness'.

Paper Mario had a badge and star summoning system. But then again Mario RPG had an equipment system that wasn't without depth similar to other RPG's of the time (particularly Final Fantasy).

You mean the generic equipment system in every JRPG ever? Atleast the PM series tried to do something new and original. And better yet, the equipment that you do get from PM actually had outside uses other than in fights. They were used to traverse the landscape as well as solve puzzles.

And that leads me to my next point: puzzles. The dungeons in PM and PM2 were MUCH better designed. They were more akin to Legend of Zelda series than the maze like level design of Super Mario RPG, as well as other RPGs of that time.

e accessories particularly brought in a nice level of strategy. If you were having trouble with a certain enemy putting you to sleep, you could equip a wake up pin. Or if they're transforming you into mushrooms and scarecrows, you can equip a true form pin. There's tons of these accessories that prevent status effects, raise stats, and others (there's even one that alerts you when hidden treasure is near). Also for each character there are three different varieties of weapon. For example, Mario can equip gloves, hammers, and shells as his weapons. Each type of weapon has a different method of timing to it.

Badge system worked the same was as accessories tbqh. The only point you make that I'm willing to concede on is the weapon variation. That is a good idea, that should be used in future Mario RPGs. As long as it doesn't affect the amazing level design that PM series is known for.
---
#116gransPosted 12/27/2012 12:14:09 AM(edited)
Eh...the battles are actually pretty slow to me. Largely because you have to decide what each member does before the turn plays. In PM each member selects a move, and performs the action on that same turn. Makes for far more fluid gameplay.

Not sure i'm reading this the same way you meant it. In Mario RPG when you select a command for the character, they carry that move out immediately. You don't go through the other characters and commands in order to initiate that turn, as soon as you tell that specific character what to do they do it.

In fact, the only real difference from how it works in Paper Mario is Mario RPG's variable of the character's speed stat. Mario RPG determines which character gets to take their turn first by this stat. A higher speed is going to allow them the first turn, lower speed is going to allow them a turn only after the characters with a higher speed stat. Paper Mario and its sequel I do not recall having such a variable. Mario & Luigi I believe brought it back though.

The puzzles were better in the Paper Mario series, no doubt. And while i've not played it yet, I hear its the one thing further improved for Sticker Star (though the battle system is supposed to be disappointing). I like the platforming in Mario RPG though (then again I actually like the diagonal isometric perspective in the first place).

All I can say about the badge system is that I liked the "magic" special skills you could pull off in Mario RPG more than the moves the badges granted you in Paper Mario. I'm a fan of a more traditional linear progression of learning magic skills though leveling up however. I also think the moves themselves are a lot cooler, especially the skills Mallow and Geno learned. Though this is also tied to the atmosphere I like so much about it.

I suppose I like Mario RPG BECAUSE it's very old school RPG and sharing a lot of those elements (but I find the game still different and with a charm of its own). I don't dislike change, and certainly love Paper Mario, but I actually like Mario RPG's simple take on the RPG gameplay of the time.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#117luigi33Posted 12/27/2012 1:01:24 AM
Not sure i'm reading this the same way you meant it. In Mario RPG when you select a command for the character, they carry that move out immediately. You don't go through the other characters and commands in order to initiate that turn, as soon as you tell that specific character what to do they do it.

No problem, I don'tknow why I blundered that one.

In fact, the only real difference from how it works in Paper Mario is Mario RPG's variable of the character's speed stat. Mario RPG determines which character gets to take their turn first by this stat. A higher speed is going to allow them the first turn, lower speed is going to allow them a turn only after the characters with a higher speed stat. Paper Mario and its sequel I do not recall having such a variable. Mario & Luigi I believe brought it back though.

It would wouldn't work with the way PM games are set up, thats why they didn't include it.

The puzzles were better in the Paper Mario series, no doubt. And while i've not played it yet, I hear its the one thing further improved for Sticker Star (though the battle system is supposed to be disappointing). I like the platforming in Mario RPG though (then again I actually like the diagonal isometric perspective in the first place).

There is a reason isometric platforming -never- took off, because it felt awkward as hell. PM had puzzles as well as platforming (which was far better than SMRPG simply because of the camera was positioned to the side most of the time)

All I can say about the badge system is that I liked the "magic" special skills you could pull off in Mario RPG more than the moves the badges granted you in Paper Mario. I'm a fan of a more traditional linear progression of learning magic skills though leveling up however. I also think the moves themselves are a lot cooler, especially the skills Mallow and Geno learned. Though this is also tied to the atmosphere I like so much about it.

I disagree, the badges are far more fun, and customizable in PM/MandL series. It also offered different treats such as different sound effects, and alternate Mario skins.

I suppose I like Mario RPG BECAUSE it's very old school RPG and sharing a lot of those elements (but I find the game still different and with a charm of its own). I don't dislike change, and certainly love Paper Mario, but I actually like Mario RPG's simple take on the RPG gameplay of the time.

Well sir, the reason why you like SMRPG is the reason why I don't think it is the best Mario RPG.
---
#118StealthlysPosted 12/27/2012 7:38:54 AM
lol nostalgia goggles.
#119nintendoveteranPosted 12/27/2012 12:47:53 PM
"SMRPG is AMAZING."

"I disagree, I don't enjoy the battles."

"QUIT HARPING ON THE GAME FOR IT'S GRAPHICS!.

"Quit liking things because they're old."

"You don't like one old game, you're just a CoD playing kid."

^This is this entire topic in a nutshell.
---
Fight Mega Man! For everlasting peace!
#120luigi33Posted 12/27/2012 9:01:47 PM
"SMRPG is AMAZING."

"I disagree, I don't enjoy the battles."

"QUIT HARPING ON THE GAME FOR IT'S GRAPHICS!.

"Quit liking things because they're old."

"You don't like one old game, you're just a CoD playing kid."

^This is this entire topic in a nutshell.

lmao
---