Will we ever see a true Super Mario RPG sequal?

#21BoosterBurstPosted 12/22/2012 6:17:13 AM
SMRPG is by far the best Mario game ever made.

not sure where all the hate comes from. anyone care to explain?

it would make perfect sense if the hate comes from the ff7 haters
#22TheAbuManPosted 12/22/2012 6:27:08 AM
Super Mario RPG is the best Mario RPG, period.
---
Hamha!
Nintendo Network ID: Tailsy
#23gransPosted 12/22/2012 6:32:37 AM(edited)
So much nostalgia goggles. SMRPG is not even the best RPG on SNES. Paper Mario 1 and 2 is far superior.

Mario RPG has incredibly stiff competition on the SNES. The SNES is jam packed full of fantastic RPG's, arguably one of if not the best system for RPG's ever (IMO it is). There's games like Final Fantasy 4 and 6, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Earthbound, both Lufia games, Breath of Fire 1 and 2. And if you count Japan there's Final Fantasy 5, Tales of Phantasia, and Star Ocean. I'm sure I missed a fair few in there too. And within that list there are numerous games that people will fight over being the best including FF6, Chrono Trigger, and Earthbound. The SNES was an RPG beast. But Mario RPG IS a fantastic game for it, It holds a special place in my heart for being the first RPG I ever played, it was a great beginners introduction into the genre for me.

Paper Mario 1 basically had no competition on its system. It's a good game certainly but the fact is that on N64 PM1 wins outright for being one of the only (if not THE only) good RPG on the platform. Perhaps it may have had competition had Mother 3 arrived on the N64 as originally planned, but it didn't.

Even Paper Mario 2, while on a system with more quality RPG's than the N64 at least, still didn't have nearly as much competition within its system than Mario RPG did on the SNES. It's easy to consider Paper Mario TTYD one of if not the best RPG on the console.

I admit i'm nostalgic for Mario RPG. But even disregarding it and looking at it objectively I still find it a great game. I certainly wouldn't be placing it last on the list among other Mario RPG's. I'd place it above the Mario & Luigi series and Super Paper Mario at least. The Paper Mario games can have a case argued for being better, but there's something about the way Mario RPG is that draws me in more. Not simply my nostalgic connection, a combination of music, atmosphere, I enjoy the battle system more, and the party of characters and even unique enemy designs, along with special skills you can learn (especially fond of Geno's special moves).
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#24luigi33Posted 12/22/2012 8:49:47 PM
The isometric platforming of SMRPG

Was ****ing awful and gut wrenching. Isometric view should never be used for platforming.
---
Specs: [Intel i5 3570k] [16GB DDR3] [GA-Z77X-UD3H]
[CM Hyper 212+] [GTX 560ti]
#25luigi33Posted 12/22/2012 8:52:26 PM
I'd place it above the Mario & Luigi series

Nope. Mario and Luigi series has a far better battle system, the characters are more creative, the writing is much funnier and more clever, Bowser is far more of a badass. From an objective standpoint, I can't see SMRPG being better than any game from MandL besides PiT.
---
#26strongo9Posted 12/22/2012 9:04:14 PM
Mario & Luigi is essentially its spiritual successor.
---
Want Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Rayman Legends, and Bioshock Infinite.
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce 540m
#27emayerPosted 12/22/2012 9:14:36 PM
SMRPG, TTYD, and Superstar Saga are all brilliant games, and then I like the other Mario RPGs to varying degrees. SMRPG oozes charm from its characters, story, and music.
#28luigi33Posted 12/22/2012 9:17:05 PM
SMRPG, TTYD, and Superstar Saga are all brilliant games, and then I like the other Mario RPGs to varying degrees. SMRPG oozes charm from its characters, story, and music.

I went back and replayed SMRPG. There is no characters that are close to being as memorable as characters like Rawk Hawk and Fawful.
---
#29LightHawKnightPosted 12/22/2012 10:12:59 PM
If IS refuses to make a true PM sequel, why would there be a SMRPG sequel?!
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#30Zero_ManiacPosted 12/22/2012 10:35:12 PM
LightHawKnight posted...
If IS refuses to make a true PM sequel, why would there be a SMRPG sequel?!

TTYD says hi.
---
Currently wanting: A lot of Vita games/accessories!
PSN: Zero_Maniac623