Will we ever see a true Super Mario RPG sequal?

#81chestershadowPosted 12/26/2012 2:47:28 AM
BoosterBurst posted...
SMRPG is by far the best Mario game ever made.

not sure where all the hate comes from. anyone care to explain?

it would make perfect sense if the hate comes from the ff7 haters

I despise/loathe/hated final fantasy 7, easily my least favorite ff besides all of the current and future 13 games, 12, and the mmo's. Yet, I LOVED smrpg.
#82hambaconeggPosted 12/26/2012 3:39:03 AM
Isometric? Ewwww.
#83luigi33Posted 12/26/2012 8:30:02 AM(edited)
anyhow, care to explain now games magically lose quality over time?

Some games age much better than others. SMRPG isn't one of these games.

great 3D art style and awesome music

Art is crappy as hell, then again I never liked that pseudo realistic look from games like SMRPG and Donkey Kong Country. I didn't like the art style, it looked like a Final Fantasy setting with Mario characters. Peaches' castle is probably the most boring looking version of the castle ever crafted. Atleast PM and Mario and Luigi games look like they belong in the Marioverse.

wonderful battle system

You mean that barebones battle system that isn't even close to the depth and fun that MandL/PM series provides? Because it plays like a simplified version of Final Fantasy 3...which is one of the more simple FF games to come out.
---
Specs: [Intel i5 3570k] [16GB DDR3] [GA-Z77X-UD3H]
[CM Hyper 212+] [GTX 560ti]
#84ryudin89Posted 12/26/2012 8:34:52 AM
DeathSoul2000 posted...
we're never getting another SMRPG, you may as well accept it. besides paper mario and M&L are superior anyway.

I agree. It's still one of the top Mario RPGs but it definitely hasn't aged well at all.
---
GameFAQS=why games should be played and people should be avoided.-selfdeztruction
http://fav.me/d3e91yr
#85luigi33Posted 12/26/2012 8:35:53 AM
I hereby stand by my claim that Paper Mario: Thousand Year Old Door is the best Mario RPG to ever come out.
---
Specs: [Intel i5 3570k] [16GB DDR3] [GA-Z77X-UD3H]
[CM Hyper 212+] [GTX 560ti]
#86Hojo_InversePosted 12/26/2012 11:25:37 AM
I don't get all the hate either, SMRPG is still the best Mario RPG.

"Hasn't aged well"? I still play it like once a year, and think it's still as fun and charming as the 1st time. I still have more fun with it than most modern RPGs too.

"Isometric platforming"? Never had any issues with it. Though if you were born post N64 and are used to 3D gaming and analog sticks, then yeah, I guess it could be a little weird.

"Boring battle system"? I love the timing system, it's both involving and rewarding, it makes you stay on your toes instead of mindlessly mashing a button or watching the game play itself. It's so ingrained in me that I still use it unconsciously while playing other turn based RPGs, and I think the world would have been a better place if RPGs from back then and onwards had implemented this system in one way or another. Props to the other Mario RPGs for at least keeping and improving this system, which also makes me wonder why people hate this one but don't seem to have issues with the others.

"Non memorable characters?" Oh wow, you serious? I even remember some of the NPCs and random enemies. Not to mention the Smithy Gang, who managed to be quirky yet intimidating, unlike the later over the top goofy villains. The only way I can see someone claiming this is you already have hate bias towards the game, or perhaps some people find the graphics too simple to relate to the characters? I have no idea.

Never cared for the Paper Mario series, the fact that the 1st required an expansion pack was very off putting as a kid, that coupled with the fact that it was hyped as "Super Mario RPG 2" really killed it for me. Can you imagine my look as a kid when the SMRPG sequel I had been waiting for all this time lacked any of the memorable characters and looked like a 5yo story book?

M&L (the 1st game) is the closest we have to a true Mario RPG sequel. It has proper leveling, equipment and it further evolved on the timing system. For me, there's two things that keep it from being superior to SMRPG

1.- A proper party of heroes. Mario and Luigi only gets old fast, though I appreciate them keeping it somewhat fresh with the different weapons , but still.

2.- The story is too goofy. Not that it is particularly bad, but it lacks that feel of adventure and intrigue the first one had. Mostly because the villains are not as good, as mentioned before.

Never finished the sequels, but from what little I played they suffer too much from double screen gimmicks.

I wish we eventually get a game like M&L but with a varied party like Paper Mario.
#87StealthlysPosted 12/26/2012 11:26:51 AM
Lets leave Super Mario RPG in the 90's. It would be failed trash if they did it today.
#88MSRLPosted 12/26/2012 11:45:06 AM
Stealthlys posted...
Lets leave Super Mario RPG in the 90's. It would be failed trash if they did it today.
Not if it was released as a downloadable eShop game. The game is short enough to be a digital title, and I'm pretty sure it would be welcomed by many.
---
Hope, Love, Faith.
#89StealthlysPosted 12/26/2012 11:46:09 AM
MSRL posted...
Stealthlys posted...
Not if it was released as a downloadable eShop game. The game is short enough to be a digital title, and I'm pretty sure it would be welcomed by many.

I meant a no to a sequel to this.
#90MSRLPosted 12/26/2012 12:00:51 PM
Stealthlys posted...
MSRL posted...
Stealthlys posted...

I meant a no to a sequel to this.

Ah. Well in my opinion, what Square could do is make some kind of universe collaboration between the Final Fantasy and Mario, or all-star nintendo characters that would play something similar to the Kingdom Hearts games. Closest we ever got recently from a square and nintendo collab was Mario Hoops 3 on 3 and Fortune Street. A new Mario RPG with the cast from the Final Fantasy games would be nice. Such a smart move would never come into fruition.
---
Hope, Love, Faith.