Will we ever see a true Super Mario RPG sequal?

#91luigi33Posted 12/26/2012 11:29:52 AM
Lets leave Super Mario RPG in the 90's. It would be failed trash if they did it today.

Truth ITP.
---
Specs: [Intel i5 3570k] [16GB DDR3] [GA-Z77X-UD3H]
[CM Hyper 212+] [GTX 560ti]
#92gransPosted 12/26/2012 11:59:18 AM(edited)
What I gather is causing some people to say no to a sequel here is that they feel the ORIGINAL should stay in the 90's. But we're not discussing the original being rereleased, but a sequel. Why assume that if a sequel were made that there's absolutely no chance that there would be any differences made? The problem with that logic is that sequels are always being made, a number of which build upon the original concept and take place within the same sort of continuity but end up being drastically different games. If we were discussing a remake of the original Mario RPG then I doubt that much would change about it. But this is a sequel we're talking about.

Now I'm not proposing there should be a sequel to it. Though my reason isn't related to whether the original is any good, it's that Square Enix isn't the same company they once were and I wouldn't assume them capable of developing a game that can do a sequel justice.

But for the sake of discussion, there's also no reason a sequel couldn't be made with more modern Mario RPG standards in mind. Mario RPG was made revolving around the mid-90's RPG standards. If a sequel were made there's no reason the gameplay and writing is incapable of evolving into something better. Most people would probably agree that Paper Mario 2 evolved considerably from the first and many would make the claim it was a superior game to the original. And regardless of how people felt about Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star, they certainly weren't really much like their predecessors. Same is true of the Mario & Luigi series, regardless of how you felt about the sequels they were certainly different from the original. Point being that just because a sequel is made to an old game, there is no rule whatsoever mandating that it has to adhere to the original exactly without evolving to the original game's writing and gameplay.

One thing I have a lot of respect for Mario RPG for doing- developing Bowser as a character beyond just being a generic villain (something I don't believe had been done prior to that). All other Mario RPG's have expanded upon this framework, but the original was what really kicked off this idea. I like the new exclusive characters as well, like Mallow and Geno (and I find the enemies and their designs to be very cool, moreso than many other villains in other Mario RPG's). If Square Enix had some of the same talent they once did in the 90's today still, I'd definitely be completely open to a sequel as i'd like to see those characters and atmosphere again.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#93luigi33Posted 12/26/2012 12:07:10 PM
By your logic, Paper Mario (which was originally called Super Mario RPG 2) is a sequel to SMRPG. The gameplay of SMRPG laid down the foundations of modern Mario RPGs, I admit, but it is barebones, and does not represent the depth and potential and fun of later Mario RPGs. Newer games took the concept of timed hits and interactive turn based gameplay, and expanded upon it greatly. Why would I think a game stripped up its later features is the best one?

Paper Mario and MandL series gave us a games where the setting actually LOOKS like the Marioverse, and in many ways, takes logic from the classic platformers, and applies to RPG based gameplay (for example, jumping on spiked animals will hurt you).
---
#94StephenYap3Posted 12/26/2012 12:21:52 PM
WestbrickIII posted...
CloudStrife630 posted...
Hopefully not. SMRPG is overrated and Square sucks now.

Also have you played the Mario and Luigi series?

SMRPG is better than your favorite game.

The first M&L game was good, but the next two ranged from playable to thoroughly mediocre. Calling them better than SMRPG is silly.

I salute to you at the fullest, good sir.
---
I have trouble communicating with people :(
#95Bancario51Posted 12/26/2012 12:21:52 PM
TC spelled sequel wrong. Just wanted to point that out as a committee of the Spelling Bee police.
---
Claiming to be an official ____ of a board is officially dumb
Awesome Fighting games: TTT2, P4A and Aquapazza...
#96gransPosted 12/26/2012 1:26:58 PM(edited)
By your logic, Paper Mario (which was originally called Super Mario RPG 2) is a sequel to SMRPG. The gameplay of SMRPG laid down the foundations of modern Mario RPGs, I admit, but it is barebones, and does not represent the depth and potential and fun of later Mario RPGs. Newer games took the concept of timed hits and interactive turn based gameplay, and expanded upon it greatly. Why would I think a game stripped up its later features is the best one?

Paper Mario and MandL series gave us a games where the setting actually LOOKS like the Marioverse, and in many ways, takes logic from the classic platformers, and applies to RPG based gameplay (for example, jumping on spiked animals will hurt you).

I do not think you understand what i'm referring to by a sequel. Paper Mario really doesn't have anything to do with Mario RPG story wise. It takes concepts it introduced, but it doesn't really at all continue the plot of Mario RPG. It's its own thing, like how they subtitled Yoshi's Island "Mario World 2", when in fact it has essentially little in common with Mario World. A real Mario RPG sequel to me doesn't have to remain in the past in terms of gameplay, but i'd like to see some returning characters and story elements introduced in the original.

There are definitely elements of Mario RPG I enjoy more than later games. I'm more of a fan of the music and atmosphere of the original Mario RPG. And whereas newer Mario RPG's tried different styles of visuals, I do not agree that the visuals of the original have aged badly either. Paper Mario used a popup book feel and M&L used more of a hyper animated cartoony look. Mario RPG uses early computer animation that reminds me a lot of clay figures or even stop motion animation, and I find the art style to be quite charming in its own way. I'm not even a fan of computer animation in movies, but it looks quite good there. I feel the same way about the DKC games. I don't think it has to look like its series universe to be a great game.

As for the gameplay, I liked having three characters in the party at once and managing them in combat (feels a bit more complex and strategic in ways). I also find the magic skills a lot cooler than newer Mario RPG's as well. I like Geno and Mallow as characters (especially their designs) more than the Paper Mario ones. There was a lot of creativity there IMO. There are only a couple of cases where the diagonal isometric view got in the way for me, for the most part I liked the platforming elements. I did enjoy some of the platforming elements in Mario & Luigi, but the button management in the first game kind of got on my nerves (somewhat fixed in the sequels though).

Are there areas that could be improved? Yes. Are there concepts introduced and later done better by new Mario RPG's? Absolutely. But do I think a direct sequel to its story should never be made based solely on the original game being old? Absolutely not. Id there were good developers behind it that respected the original atmosphere and story, I think a great game could come out of it. No reason it couldn't be improved for today's standards, taking great elements of all the Mario RPG's and adding new ones.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#97StealthlysPosted 12/26/2012 1:28:42 PM
The only way I see people accepting SMRPG. Cross over nintendo+final fantasy. Bigger map, let me walk around on the over-world map, exploration. More mini games. A plot. Keep the same witty writing. Honestly I see it hard to evolve SMRPG without doing things other rpgs did. Also CGI scenes.
#98luigi33Posted 12/26/2012 1:39:20 PM
Paper Mario really doesn't have anything to do with Mario RPG story wise. It takes concepts it introduced, but it doesn't really at all continue the plot of Mario RPG.

Honestly the only Mario RPG game to continue the plot of a previous one is Mario and Luigi: SSS and Bowser's Inside Story.

PM:TYD does not follow PM. SPM does not follow PM: TYD, and PM:SS doesn't follow any of them.

And whereas newer Mario RPG's tried different styles of visuals, I do not agree that the visuals of the original have aged badly either. Paper Mario used a popup book feel and M&L used more of a hyper animated cartoony look. Mario RPG uses early computer animation that reminds me a lot of clay figures or even stop motion animation, and I find the art style to be quite charming in its own way. I'm not even a fan of computer animation in movies, but it looks quite good there. I feel the same way about the DKC games. I don't think it has to look like its series universe to be a great game.

I disagree, the clay figure look is awful looking, and I'm glad that gimmick died.

As for the gameplay, I liked having three characters in the party at once and managing them in combat (feels a bit more complex and strategic in ways).

Lolno. Just because you control 3 people doesn't make it more complex. Final Fantasy 1 had you controlling 3 people, does that mean its more complex? Super Mario RPG was a simpleton's RPG, it offered nothing close to the battle systems of Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and Secret of Mana series. It was very straight forward and the only thing that made it unique was timed hits, that, like I said earlier, got expanded on in future games.

Are there areas that could be improved? Yes. Are there concepts introduced and later done better by new Mario RPG's? Absolutely. But do I think a direct sequel to its story should never be made based solely on the original game being old? Absolutely not. Id there were good developers behind it that respected the original atmosphere and story, I think a great game could come out of it. No reason it couldn't be improved for today's standards, taking great elements of all the Mario RPG's and adding new ones.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be made. This debate was never about a sequel being made or not. It's about if Super Mario RPG stood the test of time. And to me, and many others apparently, it did not.
---
#99BoosterBurstPosted 12/26/2012 3:14:32 PM
all I see is Luigi basing quality on graphics.

if anything has bad art style and bad graphics it is Paper Mario. 3 year old children's books called and they want their graphics back.

I bet you hate Yoshi's Island to since it doesn't use the unreal engine and have steroid Yoshi. if you want graphics you should drop Nintendo and go gaming pc.

oh and plus paper Mario is bland and watered down combat compared to SMRPG.
#100DanspurtPosted 12/26/2012 3:18:37 PM
Yeah, I don't think SMRPG is the best Mario RPG either.

But I would still really like to see a new Mario RPG in a full-3D environment.
---
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never really know how accurate they actually are" - Abraham Lincoln