Could the 3DS technically handle Xenoblade Chronicles?

#41helldewPosted 12/28/2012 12:32:54 AM
Sure, if it were downgraded. No idea why people think 3DS is more powerful than the Wii.

well if they ported the wii version it would more then likely be downgraded. not because the 3DS is lacking more because i dont think anyone would care enough to properly port the game over to begin with and its a lot easier to port something and do a lazy job like DKC GBA or TOTA on this then to pull off something like the monster hunter port. so yeah if we got a 3ds version specs aside i would pretty much expect it to look worse solely because the 3DS isnt that much more powerful then the wii assuming its more powerful (IMO it hasnt proved past that visually yet but its damn close given some time into its life im expecting game to look a fair bit better then the wii).

i really wish retro would get something like prime over on this thing. now they can push graphics.
---
ErrorSupply 3-D DS -OMG! It's the ultimate anti-pirate tech O:.
#42CheckedItPosted 12/28/2012 2:24:40 AM
It is going to be a while before the 8GB cards become economical.
#43GenoPosted 12/28/2012 2:46:33 AM
strongo9 posted...
Such a large open-world JRPG would be terrible on any handheld.

What JRPG these days doesn't have a 'large, open world'? I can imagine the 3DS could handle Xenoblade Chronicles if they did that thing they mentioned a while back that shut off the Wi-Fi functionality to give it more processing power.
---
3DS: 2363 - 5923 - 1853
#44SpaceDesperadoPosted 12/28/2012 2:56:44 AM(edited)
I heard Nintendo put a limit on developers so they can't utilize all of the 8gb in the cartridge, maybe not even half that, is this true?

Does anyone have a link confirming this, not including it just being 'rumored' by a website? Like a developer mentioning it or something.

EDIT: To the guy above me, can you name me some jrpg's not from the snes era which you consider 'open world' i can't think of many besides like dark souls and pokemon. However I can think of games like shin megami tensei series, the newer final fantasy's, lost odyssey etc. which aren't 'open world' besides maybe a few towns in between dungeons. Unless you consider the first Monster Hunter game to be open world, Monster Hunter 4, every jrpg.
#45GenoPosted 12/28/2012 3:30:10 AM(edited)
SpaceDesperado posted...
EDIT: To the guy above me, can you name me some jrpg's not from the snes era which you consider 'open world' i can't think of many besides like dark souls and pokemon. However I can think of games like shin megami tensei series, the newer final fantasy's, lost odyssey etc. which aren't 'open world' besides maybe a few towns in between dungeons. Unless you consider the first Monster Hunter game to be open world, Monster Hunter 4, every jrpg.

Every 'Tales' game, any Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger/Cross..

And that's just the more popular ones. I'm sure if I dug through my backlog of DS games I could find two or three that fit the bill, like Nostalgia.
---
3DS: 2363 - 5923 - 1853
#46ZendaikPosted 12/28/2012 4:47:53 AM
Geno posted...
strongo9 posted...
Such a large open-world JRPG would be terrible on any handheld.

What JRPG these days doesn't have a 'large, open world'? I can imagine the 3DS could handle Xenoblade Chronicles if they did that thing they mentioned a while back that shut off the Wi-Fi functionality to give it more processing power.

On the scale of Xenoblade? There's pretty much is nothing. Biggest ones that I can think of are DQ VIII, FF XII, and Wild Arms 5 but they're very far from Xenoblade's level. And FF XII has almost no verticality to speak of and most open areas are really flat.
---
Monster Hunter Tri, Kid Icarus: Uprising IDs: Kirolos
#47TiaelPosted 12/28/2012 5:04:29 AM(edited)
Most likely, but will it be ported?
Not likely.

However, Monolith Soft is working on a new 3DS game (Baten Kaitos 3?) as well as a new Wii U game, so we could theoretically see something of that magnitude from them on the 3DS.

And for that, Riki listen because Riki is the Heropon.

---
Ni no Kuni - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kUPIPBDA-I
Dragon Quest > Tales of > Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all three. Da Bears!
#48Rurouni720(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2012 7:29:35 AM(edited)
helldew posted...
well if they ported the wii version it would more then likely be downgraded. not because the 3DS is lacking more because i dont think anyone would care enough to properly port the game over to begin with and its a lot easier to port something and do a lazy job like DKC GBA or TOTA on this then to pull off something like the monster hunter port. so yeah if we got a 3ds version specs aside i would pretty much expect it to look worse solely because the 3DS isnt that much more powerful then the wii assuming its more powerful (IMO it hasnt proved past that visually yet but its damn close given some time into its life im expecting game to look a fair bit better then the wii).

Not to offend but i'll assume you haven't been paying attention to the past posts, have you? You are only looking at the specs and not the raw performence of the 3DS's actual capabilities. A late Wii port (MHTriG) on the 3DS not only looked better, but also performed twice as good. With added dynamic shadows, 60FPS (in 3D as well), self shadowing, etc. None of those are present in the Wii version at all. Come on, we've been through this already for a year now. the 3DS IS on-par/slightly more powerful than the Wii whether anyone wants to accept it or not.

Also i'll add in that regarding MHTri's port to the 3DS, Capcom themselves said in an interview that for the reasoning of MH4 being developed on the 3DS was due to having relative ease in porting MHTriG on the 3DS hardware during the time they were studying it. Here is part of it:

"Finally, Tsujimoto addressed the reasoning to make Monster Hunter 4 for the 3DS:

When we were developing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the 3DS, it was an experiment. It was new hardware for us. We didnít know the capabilities of the hardware. But as a portable system it was very unique to work with. It has two screens and 3D capabilities. To us as developers, we want to challenge ourselves to make something that is very good on that system. So after we made Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on 3DS, we were able to analyse what we did on that game. We realised it was quite easy to develop for. That was the reason why we continued with Monster Hunter 4 on 3DS.Ē

http://nintendoeverything.com/100208...h-in-the-west/

Case closed.