I dont care about many millions it costs u nintendo, u need to get P4G right now

#61MetalLokiPosted 12/28/2012 3:15:56 PM
Purification posted...
MetalLoki posted...
I'm 21 and love both Pokemon and SMT, and hope this happens one day

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8j8xbBRCF1r0rwlxo1_1280.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l84wu534Ql1qb8982o1_500.jpg

So...would I be safe to assume that we can finally get to kill annoying Pokemon trainers?

It would not be safe at all.
---
The official Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
Lamia, Harpy, Centaur and Slime.....What's next?
#62PurificationPosted 12/28/2012 3:27:12 PM
bijwmoc posted...
Purification posted...
Starwars4J posted...
Purification posted...
Strategy huh? The SMT series has some of the most intricate gameplay mechanics I've ever experienced in a JRPG. Trying to take on Nocturne Hard Mode and Digital Devil Saga 2 Hard Mode have been some of the most difficult and strategic gameplay experiences I've had, and I've played just about every major RPG title out there.

The amount of preparation and the need to predict what the enemy is going to do several turns in advance, where the bosses can pretty much instantly turn the tide of battle in a single attack, is both quite thrilling and frustrating.

All of which pales in comparison to the depth involved with not only crafting the perfect team, but i figuring out what the perfect team is in the constantly changing metagame. The sheer options just eclipse anything in any other RPG series. There's a reason it has the large adult following that it does.

In regards to the preparation before combat, you could say that in a sense. But I was referring to specifically just the combat mechanics. Pokemon is some of the most simple combat mechanics possible for an RPG, as it was designed for children originally.

The strategy you're referring to is something that came about because of the community, not inherent strategy programmed into the game. It could exist or not exist, either way, the game would still be doable. You can easily beat the entire game without any tactics (the only way Pokemon has ever been difficult for me was when I do single element runs). The strategy you bring up is forced onto the game by the community, which is something that can be done to quite a lot of things. With your logic in mind, something like Yu-Gi-Oh is one of the most strategic games in existence.

Simply put, I argue that Pokemon has artificial strategy that only exists because the community wanted a way to make the game more strategic. This type of strategy can be applied to almost anything that has an online community.

Artificial? So, what exactly constitutes "natural" depth? Something that's broken broken will stay, no matter how many people play it. Having a community only reveals what already is there. Pokémon has an enormous variety of possible strategies which exist on the game, even though you don't need to use them in story mode. The game has a focus on multiplayer, but it's not like people are freely creating expansion packs for it.
While the main stories are generally easy, a higher challenge is the very reason why they have the Battle Frontier sort of feature, too.

I believe that natural depth is something inherent in the game that is there whether there is a community or not. For example, if I were to play a Pokemon game for the first time, go through it, beat it, then put it down....I would not have experienced this "depth" you speak of. But for other RPG's that have a more complicated system, I would be forced to learn it, and make use of it (especially if the game was difficult).

Pokemon's strategy can only exist because of a community that forces it onto the game. If there community did not exist, we can have no strategy in Pokemon. The Battle Frontier isn't exactly that difficult either, strangely enough, I found the main game more difficult that it.

It's like English critics who read literature, then apply their own beliefs and force their own views onto the work. The author and the work did not have all that depth in mind but people look too deep into it and create artificial depth. In my opinion, Pokemon does the same thing...the game was meant to be a children's game, nothing more. Then people start forcing their own strategy onto the game and it became what it is.
---
The Judge, Jury, and Executioner
#63bijwmocPosted 12/28/2012 3:29:49 PM
21_21 posted...
Dinoman96 posted...
would be sweet, so we wouldn't have to fork over $250 for a dying handheld.

I think mistreated or premature would be the more accurate terms here.

A successful product is a product that sells. The Vita isn't selling, therefore it is, as of now, dying.
However, the game is for that console, so if someone wants it, they buy it. If they aren't willing to pay the money, they don't. Exclusive games exist to sell consoles. If they like it that much, then the Vita isn't that bad of an investment, is it?
Pointing that the Vita is bad because it has no exclusives and then complaining when an exclusive is out for it is difficult to understand. People have to give it some margin if they want it to take off.
#64legisu86Posted 12/28/2012 3:52:54 PM
I don't get why people who don't have a Vita is complaining, since the same game is also available for the PS2, a more accessible and better console
---
My three major game trauma: Shenmue, Xenogears and Xenosaga
I'm a badass reporter!!
#65MetalLokiPosted 12/28/2012 3:54:02 PM
legisu86 posted...
I don't get why people who don't have a Vita is complaining, since the same game is also available for the PS2, a more accessible and better console

tc has a vita and is just here to troll around. If you goggle his name you would see that but I guess I'm the only one that does that.
---
The official Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
Lamia, Harpy, Centaur and Slime.....What's next?
#66hotgamerPosted 12/28/2012 3:56:17 PM
The Vita is far from dying. The problem is the price, that's it. It sold very well at black friday, which mean there is a demand for it at a lower price point.

Really, If they were to drop it below 200$, they'd probably not only give Nintendo a run for their own money, but they'd probably crush them in sales.
---
Trying to contain the chaos is futile.
#67bijwmocPosted 12/28/2012 3:59:52 PM
It's like English critics who read literature, then apply their own beliefs and force their own views onto the work. The author and the work did not have all that depth in mind but people look too deep into it and create artificial depth. In my opinion, Pokemon does the same thing...the game was meant to be a children's game, nothing more. Then people start forcing their own strategy onto the game and it became what it is.

The strategy is there. Hidden values, sheer variety of niche moves, abilities, etc. It just gets explored by competitive play. If a fighting game has complex combos but no story mode, is there no depth to it? If a huge community were to follow Shaq Fu, do you think there would be many viable strategies? If everything relies on single-player, then all MMOs inherently have no depth. Some games are just focused on multiplayer.

Yes, it is meant to be mainly for children, but it has an unmatched amount of variety that presents competitive appeal for older audiences, which would be completely unnecessary and go completely unnoticed by said children.

That said, I agree that Pokémon would benefit from an option to increase AI.

Anyhow, this is a little off whichever little topic there is. Why exactly are we comparing Pokémon to Persona? They're different games, that's all.
#68TriforceBunPosted 12/28/2012 4:02:35 PM
NoJobBob posted...
Why is the best handheld game ever made not on your system?

But Link's Awakening and Mother 3 are on Nintendo systems.

That said, P4 is an awesome game and I'd love to see it pop up on Nintendo. They've got a good relationship with Atlus at least.

"Atlus at least"
"Atlus at least"
"Atlus at least"

o_O
---
My Kirby/Smash comics: www.brawlinthefamily.com
Mother 3 = Game of the Year 2006
#69NekoSlavePosted 12/28/2012 4:05:30 PM
Forget that. We still don't have Fatal Frame 4 or any of the other Mother titles. It's like they're afraid of money (where have I heard that before...)
---
the silenced SPAS-12 has the effective range of a tangerine. -EvaPilot1
"About Me" references Izuna, Unemployed Ninja on the DS.
#70ADHDguitarPosted 12/28/2012 4:09:27 PM
As good as I'm sure it is, it's just one game dude.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2