#31Semi45aPosted 12/29/2012 11:45:59 AM
DeathSoul2000 posted...
most are probably manchildren.

please elaborate
---
The only Vita games really worth getting: Gravity Rush & P4G
Being unable to detect sarcasm and lies might be an early way to catch dementia
#32aamotPosted 12/29/2012 11:56:25 AM
I had a guy at work ask why I have a 3DS, and if I only play games for little kids. I showed him Resident Evil Revelations and told him that Metal Gear Solid is also on it. I was like, "Yeah, there are lots of all-ages games on here too" and asked him what kinds of games he played.

He plays exclusively Kinect and Wii lol. Kinect Adventures is his favorite game. I mean, COME ON.
---
chrisAAMO | 2938_5923_5833
#33biorock4864Posted 12/29/2012 12:00:42 PM
I'm 28 and I own a US 3DS and JP 3DS no regrets
#34Omni PotentPosted 12/29/2012 12:42:11 PM
21. I bought it.
---
idunnowhoiam112
What will be,will be.
#35Nickf42(VIP)Posted 12/29/2012 12:49:04 PM
---
Wii- 4303-4875-8522-2427
Brawl 0044-2469-0820
#36ORANGE666Posted 12/29/2012 12:49:06 PM
mothballs posted...

incorrect. studies have shown again and again majority is young adults.

Have you ever wondered how those studies were done? Are they tracking people at walmart? Checking peoples ages when they buy online content? Taking surveys of a 1000 people and asking if they play games?

I guarantee you, 90% of portable console owners are kids.
#37gnugget5Posted 12/29/2012 1:24:54 PM
ORANGE666 posted...
mothballs posted...

incorrect. studies have shown again and again majority is young adults.

Have you ever wondered how those studies were done? Are they tracking people at walmart? Checking peoples ages when they buy online content? Taking surveys of a 1000 people and asking if they play games?

I guarantee you, 90% of portable console owners are kids.

I'm not entirely sure that these stereotypical views have much value anymore.

Bear in mind that most of us that are 25-30+ are children of the 80s when the video game market was reinvented/reinvigorated by Nintendo with the release of the NES. For our particular age demographic, video games have been a major source of entertainment for our entire lives. This is not necessarily the case with the children of the 70s that grew up with PONG, etc...

Personally, I've taken an interest in the ideas and research underlying the video game market demographics and have read about the topic for the past ~12-15 years. Although it's been a while since I looked into these studies in-depth (and I don't have them readily accessible for reference), there has been a marked shift toward video game users being young adults (especially with reference to studies from 10- and 20-years ago).

As far as the handheld market goes, I recall seeing a study that demonstrated a similar shift toward an increased market percentage for young adults. Without the numbers in front of me, I cannot state whether this shift has been greater or less than the comparable console trend...but it exists.

As a life-long gamer, I've played most console and handheld systems since the NES. Now, as a parent (of two rowdy young kids), I have found my availability to game more limited to short bursts of time in between "crises." As such, while my interest in console gaming remains, I have less "utilizable" time for it and have shifted focus (almost entirely) to the handheld market.

Not to mention, there has been a noticeable shift in the types of games made for consoles and handhelds over my lifetime. As an example, most strategy/puzzle games (including RPGs) used to be largely limited to consoles, partly due to space constraints in handheld cartridges. Now, the big-budget, HD, graphical monstrosities constitute the majority of console releases these days and the handheld market has greatly benefited by increasing its strategy/puzzle/RPG content. The DS remains the single greatest console for RPGs in quite some time and I see no indication that the 3DS will fail to continue this trend.

THE TL;DR VERSION: Demographics are constantly shifting and young adults appear to be an increasing demographic, for a variety of reasons. Although my crystal ball is currently in for repairs, I envision this trend continuing and possibly expanding to even older demographics (e.g. 40+) as the generation X-ers age and continue to view video games as a form of media entertainment akin to movies and books.
#38ZekrixPosted 12/29/2012 1:31:45 PM
aamot posted...
I had a guy at work ask why I have a 3DS, and if I only play games for little kids. I showed him Resident Evil Revelations and told him that Metal Gear Solid is also on it. I was like, "Yeah, there are lots of all-ages games on here too" and asked him what kinds of games he played.

He plays exclusively Kinect and Wii lol. Kinect Adventures is his favorite game. I mean, COME ON.

Kinect Adventures is a good game. I own all current consoles except Wii U and i like Adventures.
---
Proud member of Team Galactic ~The True G~
#39SpideymasterPosted 12/29/2012 1:33:42 PM
Zekrix posted...
aamot posted...

Kinect Adventures is a good game. I own all current consoles except Wii U and i like Adventures.

I think the point he was trying to make is that the guy called him out for owning a 3DS, thinking that he only played "kids" games, and that the ironic part is that the guy's favorite game was Kinect Adventures - hardly a "mature" title.
---
"If you want a story line, go read a book. If you want graphics, watch a movie. If you want to have fun, play a game." MetaYoshi64
#40elkenPosted 12/29/2012 1:33:45 PM
You stop being a child once you work, pay bills, have girlfriends and responsibilities... so that happens for me around 13years old.
For me I was living an adult live with 13-14 years old already. ~.^
---
Fav Genre: JRPG / Fav Consoles: Sony & Nintendo / Fav Handheld: PSVita