Which version of Chrono Trigger is best?

#31badboyPosted 12/29/2012 11:07:06 PM
DS > iOS/Android > SNES/WiiVC > PS1/PSN
#32VyersPosted 12/29/2012 11:08:50 PM
Allow me to sum up the irony of this situation.

IHeartMetroid dismissed someone blocking him by implying that the blocking was the result of his accuracy.

Now, IHeartMetroid is bailing out of the thread without actually rebutting the arguments - in fact, he makes a point of intentionally misrepresenting the arguments (by somehow reading "frequent load times that occur whenever you go into the menu, go into battle, or enter a new screen, actions which happen constantly" as "a three second random battle load time"). He then, on a video game forum, claims that other users are pathetic for getting so invested in a discussion of which version is superior, while getting so invested in a discussion of which version is superior.

And then you bring up your kid, implying that people who do not have children are lesser than you. Protip: it's a lot worse to use your kid as a thing like you have than to not have produced a child at all. All I know about your child is that he is a trophy, an achievement, that you can pull out whenever someone points out how absurdly wrong you are. In this thread, you have made implications that your opposition has not played the PS1 version, and that you are more well-versed in the subject at hand. When you were shown to be wrong about both, you left the argument by insulting the people you were arguing with, and appealing to personal authority. I would bring up my personal responsibility for children, but hey, I don't define them as bragging rights.

Feel free to leave this thread with an unearned sense of superiority, and feel free to show to your son that you have no pride and no shame. It's okay. If you can't even admit that you were wrong in something that you find trivial , then what kind of adult are you? If it's so trivial, then what harm comes of your admittance? Instead of admitting you were wrong, you blame everyone else, exaggerate and misrepresent points made, and practice plenty of hyperbole. Sad.
---
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
Blog: http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=6123776 / YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear
#33nintendoveteranPosted 12/30/2012 12:16:43 AM
My friend got the Chronicles version on his PS3 and they still didn't fix the load times. Go with DS. There's a reason no one agrees with that guy saying it's not that bad. If you can't get DS, go with SNES, it's on the Wii for pretty cheap.
---
Fight Mega Man! For everlasting peace!
#34IAznDragonI YanPosted 12/30/2012 12:45:44 AM
SNES : classic nostalgia in your own home

PSX : classic nostalgia in your own home but with anime style cutscenes and super long load times

DS : portable classic nostalgia anywhere you go with added content and the anime style cutscenes

basically, the DS version is the way to go with all the new stuff it has that the SNES one didn't have.
---
Tu fui, ego eris
What you are, I was. What I am, you will be.
#35lambchipsPosted 12/30/2012 12:54:14 AM
ds >>
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#36SoeroahPosted 12/30/2012 1:04:53 AM
I've only played the DS one. It worked fine and it was a fun game. Obviously I can't compare it to the other versions, but if it's your first time playing it, I don't see why the DS one would be any worse than the others, since you'd have no baseline to compare to.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ9Km7WW2aE
Best console war summary ever. TL;DR version at 2:05.
#37darkness1018Posted 12/30/2012 1:20:31 AM
Ive played and beat all 3 versions (SNES, DS and PS1) and i gotta say the DS is the best so far.
---
PSN-nightwing2099
#38n00bsaib0tPosted 12/30/2012 1:30:23 AM
What was the PS1 version played on in that video? PS1? PS2? PS3? ISO running on an emulator actually making those load times significantly shorter? Context matters, IHeartMetroid.

That said, there are multiple ways to play the SNES version, multiple ways to play the PS1 version and multiple ways to play the DS version. The DS version is the latest and greatest, but can't be played on your TV unless you mod a DS (I don't even know if there is a 3DS video out mod). If thats a factor, you have a Wii or PS3 you can play it on your TV and I would recommend the Wii version as the load times, however long they might be, are non existent.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#39danmiy12Posted 12/30/2012 1:38:17 AM(edited)
IHeartMetroid posted...
"The load times in PS1 CT are awful. There really isn't any argument against that. I just PLAYED CT on a PS1 "

And I just posted a video that explicitly shows load times of exactly THREE seconds. So you can "just PLAY CT" all you want, but all I have to do is say... TC, check it out for your own self and see if three seconds is too horrible for you. There's another battle in that video too- entirely separate battle scene, which takes from 3:16 to 3:19 to load- which is, again, three seconds.

You: "Believe what I tell you!"
Me: "Don't take my word for it. Here's a video for you to make your own opinion".

its 3 seconds to load every battle, another 2 extra seconds to load another area these seconds do add up...and ya every other version doesn't have them...also there is a delay when you win battles...not sure the exact time but the delay to end battles even that you ran from add up too...

the only good thing the ps version had that I thought were awesome was those amazing cutscenes but now the ds has them too...
---
My 3ds FC:0989-1899-7615 pm me if you want to add me
#40UiruPosted 12/30/2012 1:58:15 AM
DS version is objectively superior. Do not go near the PSX version.

Random number: 1000 battles. Imagine 1000 battles in the course of a game. I can't remember if it's that many, or more. But let's go with 1000. Multiply that by 3 seconds. 3000 seconds. That's 50 minutes of watching your game stall because it was coded by monkeys. Why do that to yourself when you can avoid it altogether in every other version?

And then you've got the massive delay going to the menu.
---
~Uiru