Hackers need to get a paycheck.

#11kdiz4321Posted 12/30/2012 5:29:59 PM
Second_Chances posted...
Maybe you should get a paycheck so that you can just import a foreign 3DS if you want to play imports that much.

Wallydraigle posted...
MetalLoki posted...
In the future when developers no longer make games for the 3DS you people better be happy for those import of games from the first 2 years because that's all ya'll get.

Just like DS which was region-free and failed with no games.

Just like how the PSP's game sales and then developer support plummeted when it was hacked.

No one's saying making it region free is bad. What they are is that the system shouldn't be hacked because then no one will actually buy games and developers will be scared to develop, and the online environment will be ruined, as it was on the DS by AR and such in many games.

That's the exception not the rule. Many systems have been hacked and pirated without driving away devs. The PSP was practically made to hack and cost so much that regular consumers (non-hackers) didn't want to buy the system. End result: sales that looked good but were really closer to what the vita is selling right now.

I'm not trying to defend pirates but everyone should stop using the PSP as the "this is what piracy does" example.
---
I am not an early adopter. If your system is as awesome as you say it is, it will still be in stores when the games I want are out.
#12HalecticPosted 12/30/2012 5:40:32 PM
Piracy on the PSP is the reason why games such as Monster Hunter where pulled from NA and one of the reasons SE will not release a localized version of FF Type-0, so it does have an effect
---
Digimon World Dawn FC 000111545835
#13Second_ChancesPosted 12/30/2012 5:51:52 PM
kdiz4321 posted...
That's the exception not the rule. Many systems have been hacked and pirated without driving away devs. The PSP was practically made to hack and cost so much that regular consumers (non-hackers) didn't want to buy the system. End result: sales that looked good but were really closer to what the vita is selling right now.

I'm not trying to defend pirates but everyone should stop using the PSP as the "this is what piracy does" example.

The thing is though, the PSP was pretty much the first console you could easily hack without cracking the thing open and modding it. At the most, you needed a modded battery, but otherwise nothing else you didn't need to work the system anyway. Sure the original PS1 had the gum trick, but that was just insane to think of and the internet wasn't widespread enough that anyone could find it with ease with most just resorting to modchips which could be hard to find, and games were dirt cheap on the PS1 which counteracted that. Plus you still had to burn games and buy discs to burn them onto, and if you goofed burning them that's another disc in the trash.

If the 3DS is hacked, it'll be the PSP all over again. A OS based hack with games being able to run off the SD card which you need one to get the system to work in the first place. The PSP is the one and only possible comparison because none of the other hacked consoles have had everything you need right there in front of you because you needed that stuff in the first place and the internet making it easy knowledge. Wii? The initial ones needed you to burn DVD's, now you need an external harddrive because the new disc drives won't run those burnt DVD's. Neither of which you need for the system anyway. DS? A third-party made special cartridge which may be a bootleg, and a micro SD on top of that. And so on.
#14CronoDynePosted 12/30/2012 6:35:10 PM
The Wii is the easiest console to hack, with zero worry about your current firmware (unlike the PSP), and with simple methods that anyone can do to the point that professional news sources like Giantbomb outright encouraged hacking to enable games like Xenoblade Chronicles to imported.. and the Wii and its games are still selling to this day. So the "hacking systems makes systems fail" argument is total bull.

Lemmywinks13 posted...
WAAAAAAHHHH!!!!! There are three games out that I need but can't play right now. Nevermind the thousands of games available to me now, I want those three that are probably in a language I can't read so now I'm going to steal everything!

Or, you know.. there's multiple games we should be able to play but can't due to a completely unnecessary region lock, games that there is absolutely no guarantee (and given NoA's track record, very unlikely possibility) of the games becoming localized. And you must have a completely different definition of the term "thousands" in your reality.
---
Goodbye Chewy. You were the best friend I could ask for. Rest in peace, buddy.
#15pbandjamesPosted 12/30/2012 6:42:11 PM
CronoDyne posted...
The Wii is the easiest console to hack, with zero worry about your current firmware (unlike the PSP), and with simple methods that anyone can do to the point that professional news sources like Giantbomb outright encouraged hacking to enable games like Xenoblade Chronicles to imported.. and the Wii and its games are still selling to this day. So the "hacking systems makes systems fail" argument is total bull.

Lemmywinks13 posted...
WAAAAAAHHHH!!!!! There are three games out that I need but can't play right now. Nevermind the thousands of games available to me now, I want those three that are probably in a language I can't read so now I'm going to steal everything!

Or, you know.. there's multiple games we should be able to play but can't due to a completely unnecessary region lock, games that there is absolutely no guarantee (and given NoA's track record, very unlikely possibility) of the games becoming localized. And you must have a completely different definition of the term "thousands" in your reality.

Nobody is saying that hacking a system makes it fail. But if you don't think hacking a system affects anything, then you're deluded.
---
Game news is the best news.
#16Second_ChancesPosted 12/30/2012 6:45:32 PM
CronoDyne posted...

Wii you need stuff to actually pirate games. The PSP you don't. PRO CFW, just get the newest OFW then load the matching CFW onto the GAME folder on the stick, run it, holy crap it's hacked, you can pirate anything you want, just slap it on the stick, which you need to save any game on the system at all and ones capable of storing at least one full game are dirt cheap and probably what you got anyway. And although PRO CFW is recent, and before it you did need to mind the OS version, you had to do that on the Wii as well until recently. And to pirate on the Wii you still need to burn discs, or if it's a new enough model and it can't burn discs, buy an external harddrive to load the games on. And until recently, you even needed specific games to hack it, although now all you need is an SD card to load the file into the specific directory on and run the Photo Channel - Once more, you don't NEED an SD card to get the Wii to work, so you might need to buy an SD card too.

And get a good paying job and import a system if you want to play those games so much. Or just save up, like I did.
#17gamester_12345Posted 12/30/2012 7:41:24 PM
I just assume the reason for Region-Locking on the 3DS is because Nintendo is attempting to wander into the Digital Age, having it Region Free would mean that they might get skewed chart data for each country.

Like if a game takes a year to leave Japan to get to America, chances are a large amount of people might be tempted to get it from Japan (with possible price differences), leading to the reception that people hated said game due to lukewarm sales in comparison to Japan's (which presumably accounts for imported sales too), which might lead developers to refuse to release sequels outside of Japan, possibly being bad for the fanbase.

At least with things being digital, it cuts out a lot of the manufacturing progress and money spent on TV advertising and Packaging, if Nintendo was more like Sony, they should really look back at their VC and add games from more modern times like DS games, for all we know, releasing a game Digitally would give developers more exposure, especially for highly demanded games that fell short of being released outside of Japan.

Another thing to wonder about is if 3DSware games would become Floppy Discs in comparison to how DS games are CDs and Downloadable published DS games are memory sticks, assuming that eshop games has less access to DS features, bumping up to DS standards might allow more leeway to devs, after all what seems like the best technology eventually bumps down to side-feature but still good.
---
RSN: Plucky9, Total: 2340
KoL: Plucky, currently a Accordion Thief
#18darkstar4221Posted 12/30/2012 7:50:05 PM(edited)
Hackers don't need a paycheck. They create accessories and plug-ins that Nintendo doesn't approve of, and the accessories are sold at modchip stores.
#19IAznDragonI YanPosted 12/30/2012 7:55:09 PM
so removing the region lock would ruin developers? i'd say it will give those developers more money. if the hackers released the hack to remove the region lock permanently, i would buy some japanese games that will never be localized. japanese developers would get money and i get great games. it's win win to me.
---
Tu fui, ego eris
What you are, I was. What I am, you will be.
#20SoaringDivePosted 12/30/2012 8:13:08 PM
IAznDragonI Yan posted...
so removing the region lock would ruin developers? i'd say it will give those developers more money. if the hackers released the hack to remove the region lock permanently, i would buy some japanese games that will never be localized. japanese developers would get money and i get great games. it's win win to me.

Piracy and hacking online games will mean absolutely no money for developers. All because somebody on GameFAQs wanted a game they couldn't even read.
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive