Is the XL reallllly that much better than an original?

#1ValzacardXPosted 12/30/2012 9:28:20 PM
Brought my little brother an Aqua Blue 3DS for Christmas, and play it every once in a while and am impressed so far. Ordered it before the Mario Kart bundle was announced, so got this one instead since it ironically came with Mario Kart and a case. Anyway when I'm done recovering from Christmas Shopping, I plan on getting myself one(already ordered a 32 gig sd card that was on sale, plus employee discount ftw, and got KH DDD for myself, but letting my brother play it.) and am really looking at the Midnight Purple.

But God D**n, every topic that ask this question seems to favor the XL, but a recent topic seems to have a land slide vote. Now I'm trying to stay away from the XL as I have small hands and really my little brother is actually bigger and will probably be 6ft by 10th grade has no problems with the regular one. Another main deciding factor for me is that I have a lot of DS games I want to finish I hear they look worse on each system depending on who tells the story.

I would love to go to store and try em out, but the ones near me either don't have them on display, or they are in Horrible condition. Are there any good comparison videos?
---
GT:Kahlilx77,
The internet, where common sense is a monumental achievement
#2EchidneysPosted 12/30/2012 9:31:42 PM
All I can say is it's far more comfortable than the smaller 3DS. If you want to play a DS game on it, prepare for slightly less crisp picture unless you want to sacrifice viewing area for resolution with the button command input.
---
PSN: Echidneys | 3DS: 4468 1242 8413
"It sucks, and you're all stupid for liking it."
#3Semi45aPosted 12/30/2012 9:33:10 PM
its more portable, thats for sure!
---
The only Vita games really worth getting: Gravity Rush & P4G
Being unable to detect sarcasm and lies might be an early way to catch dementia
#4MarsulasPosted 12/30/2012 9:36:19 PM
3D effect is lessened with the XL
---
PSN: Marz1991 SSFIVAE:Guy UMvC3:Shuma/Dorm/Strange
3DS FC: 1203-9378-1364
#5ValzacardX(Topic Creator)Posted 12/30/2012 9:38:13 PM

I usually hear the opposite? Most say sense the screen is bigger, you have more of a sweet spot.
---
GT:Kahlilx77,
The internet, where common sense is a monumental achievement
#6TheRealMrManPosted 12/30/2012 9:42:26 PM
No, it's not THAT much better. Personally I don't even find my XL more comfortable than the original, and my hands are on the smaller side.
---
https://soundcloud.com/edsped/sets/metal
#7TheRealMrManPosted 12/30/2012 9:44:06 PM
ValzacardX posted...

I usually hear the opposite? Most say sense the screen is bigger, you have more of a sweet spot.

Less of a sweet spot, actually. The viewing angle for 3D is narrower.
---
https://soundcloud.com/edsped/sets/metal
#8SquirrelettePosted 12/30/2012 11:39:18 PM
Most people love the XL. Personally I hate it. I can't stand how much larger the pixels are. I played it once for about 30 seconds and it drove me nuts seeing the pixels so clearly. Zen Pinball looks like crap on the XL and great on the original, so I can't even imagine how crappy DS games look on it. I didn't like trying to pull out the memory card and having the back plate peel away. I don't like the way the 3D slider clicks in instead of sliding to any adjustment. I don't like how ridiculously quiet the speakers are. I don't want to hold a "handheld" that huge. I have no issue with the original screen being too small, so the bigger screen does nothing for me.

And OMG....going to back to the old stylus style! I had 3 original DS's, a lite and a DSi and ONLY the lite kept the stylus from falling out! All the other ones were a nightmare. That alone would be a deal breaker for me with the XL, LOL.

So yeah, although most people prefer it, there are many of us who don't and it has nothing to do with price or not having tried one. If my regular 3DS were to die tomorrow, I'd still replace it with a regular.
---
~" A chat with you, and somehow death loses its sting."~
#9batmanfan545Posted 12/30/2012 11:47:49 PM
I honestly think the regular 3DS is better. There's better audio, and seems to be a greater sweet spot for 3D. Plus, the screen on a regular 3DS is already larger than a DS Lite, so I don't really see the issue.

The XL is fine, I just personally like the regular model.
#10helldewPosted 12/30/2012 11:52:45 PM
IMO its not about just the size. the size is great and all but the screen it self looks FAR nicer and give a much better experience/impression. the design also makes a lot more sense and the bottom screen part doesn't ruin the top screen to... i didn't get a DSi XL solely because i could rather get the 3DS for free as a present or go and waste extra cash on the XL. honestly i would try holding one first and see if your comfortable with it if your paranoid about hand size.

also the speakers on the XL are ass just a warning.
---
ErrorSupply 3-D DS -OMG! It's the ultimate anti-pirate tech O:.