Is the XL reallllly that much better than an original?

#11WiseWarrior101Posted 12/30/2012 11:56:38 PM
I have very small hands as well, and the XL feels very comfortable. As for the sweet spot, there's times I feel it's worse, but the majority of the time it feels like it's better. I remember having to turn the 3D off when playing Mario Kart 7 online on my old 3DS because turning the 3DS the slightest would screw up the 3D, but I leave the 3D on all the time when playing Mario Kart 7 on my new XL.
---
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0173-1411-9831
1 hungry spider + 1 hungry spider: 1 fat spider
#12Gogo726Posted 12/31/2012 12:00:03 AM
You bought KH3D. If you're interested in playing with dual analog, the CPP is only available for the original model for the time being.
---
Jackass Thompson doesn't approve of Wii Music. He's on a crusade to put an end to sax and violins in games
#13Great_Pudding_3Posted 12/31/2012 12:02:13 AM
Yeah it's awesome.

Played on my friends orginal 3ds today. The first one I've seen since I traded in my one for the xl back in august or whatever it was. I was taken back for a second on how small the screen was.

It's 100% worth the upgrade imo.
---
NNID: ChocoboDragoon
GT: Chocobo Dragoon
#14EchidneysPosted 12/31/2012 12:07:19 AM
helldew posted...
IMO its not about just the size. the size is great and all but the screen it self looks FAR nicer and give a much better experience/impression. the design also makes a lot more sense and the bottom screen part doesn't ruin the top screen to... i didn't get a DSi XL solely because i could rather get the 3DS for free as a present or go and waste extra cash on the XL. honestly i would try holding one first and see if your comfortable with it if your paranoid about hand size.

also the speakers on the XL are ass just a warning.

The speaker really aren't as good as the smaller one for some reason, that is the most disappoint.
---
PSN: Echidneys | 3DS: 4468 1242 8413
"It sucks, and you're all stupid for liking it."
#15oldhbk76Posted 12/31/2012 10:57:24 PM
I just picked up midnight purple 3ds and love it, its more portable, and I think the screen size is perfect
---
gamer tag SteelWolf76: 3ds fc: 5086-0928-4789
#16teh1337gosuPosted 12/31/2012 10:59:36 PM
The Xl is superior, and not Mich bigger when closed.

The volume is too low, but if you like headphones its a non issue.
---
Yvan eht nioj
#17BatenKait0sPosted 12/31/2012 11:09:24 PM
DS XL > DS Lite

3DS > 3DS XL

I prefer the build of the original better, the volume, my awesome battery life with the power pak +, and the resolution.
---
Currently playing:
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story (GBA)
#18SpideymasterPosted 12/31/2012 11:46:06 PM
If you play DS games in their original resolution on the 3DS, the display is shrunken considerably due to the smaller pixels. On the XL, however, the display is almost the exact size of a DS's/DSi's.
So yeah, if you plan on playing DS games in a non blown-up resolution, just keep in mind that if you get the original 3DS, the display will be noticeably smaller than it would be on a DS.

As for which is better...Well, I picked up an XL and personally prefer it over the original. The huge screen is obviously a plus (The pixelation - to me- is barely any more noticeable than it is on the original 3DS, though I guess it depends on the person.), and Mario Kart 7 looks great on it.

The d-pad is far more comfortable to use on the XL due to there being more space to rest your palm on the handheld. It's also made a bit differently than the d-pad on the original 3DS, which helps even further comfort-wise.

The XL also has a better battery life than the original 3DS, along with dedicated Start, Select, and Home buttons.

The 3D works well on the XL, and I feel that the sweet spot is no better or worse than it is on the original 3DS. Also, there's no needless 3D light on the XL, and the slider clicks into the off position, which is nice.

The shoulder buttons have also been improved on the XL and are more comfortable and sturdy than they are on the original 3DS. The a, b, x, and y buttons, along with the circle pad, are the same on both 3DS models.

The only real cons of the XL in comparison to the original 3DS is the slightly more noticeable pixelation when playing 3DS games (Which still look great, mind you) as well as the inferior speakers - though if you wear headphones or ear-buds, this is a non-issue.

But yeah, overall, I feel that the XL is an improvement over the original in almost every way - including DS display quality.

Honestly, I don't think it matters if your hands are on the smaller side, as the XL isn't even that much larger than the original 3DS (My hands are almost too big for the thing, so I can only imagine how much worse it'd be if I had the original.).
---
"If you want a story line, go read a book. If you want graphics, watch a movie. If you want to have fun, play a game." MetaYoshi64
#19Ruff_PuffPosted 12/31/2012 11:49:23 PM
I didn't expect the majority of posts in this thread to say the original is better, because it's been the other way around (like you said, TC) for a while.

I'm sure you've seen all of the pro/con lists, TC, and if you haven't there are heaps. :3
All I can really say is go to those horrible condition display models and (bring yourself) to hold them and see if the XL is right for you. Also, I find the XL to be heavy after a while of holding it, but I support DS' with mainly two fingers on each hand, so that may explain it.
---
PSN: Ruff-Puff
#20ValzacardX(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2013 1:16:01 AM
Thanks for all the reply's I might just go ahead and get a XL over that sexy purple(maybe lol).
---
GT:Kahlilx77,
The internet, where common sense is a monumental achievement