So you've probably heard that hackers are making progress on the 3DS...

#1Dark_Link92Posted 12/31/2012 5:17:47 AM
http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=193569

Just a thought- I know Nintendo can do a forced update or whatever to brick hackers and keep the online (relatively) hack-free, but do you think disabling region lock as kind of a bargaining chip would hold back the hackers for a while?
Think about it- that's what most people who hack their consoles are going to use it for. I fully admit I had the Homebrew Channel on my Wii, but all I used it for was to play some American imports, emulation of GBA games, a media player, and for Brawl texture hacks. The number of people who actually use homebrew to pirate games must be smaller than the number of people who would hack only to remove region lock, right?
Maybe if they get rid of it, people will be less inclined to install custom firmware on their 3DS to begin with.
---
Pokemon Black- FC: 0003 3185 8262
Monster Hunter Tri, ID:71YAXZ -EU Server!
#2DrgonbxcrossPosted 12/31/2012 5:21:51 AM
Dark_Link92 posted...
The number of people who actually use homebrew to pirate games must be smaller than the number of people who would hack only to remove region lock, right?
Maybe if they get rid of it, people will be less inclined to install custom firmware on their 3DS to begin with.

I would bank on that. I doubt WII games were killed in sales because so many people pirated them. It would only happen to the 3DS if it was as easy to do as it was with the PSP (Which I doubt it would be).
---
this one time, i found a pube in my unopened pokemon game
I would have 1500 karma, but I forgot to login. FC 2065 3310 1217
#3rizsparkyPosted 12/31/2012 5:26:28 AM
Not really, the hackers are not primarily doing this to get rid of the region lock, they are doing it as a 'sport', I really doubt the hackers will drop everything because Nintendo disables the region lock. Im in favour of the hack, not to pirate 3DS games but for emulation of VC titles I already own for my Wii and older consoles, I have a lot of funds in my eshop wallet but the lack of VC titles is just inexcusable, I don't wan't to pay a premium for games that arnt worth it..
#4n00bsaib0tPosted 12/31/2012 5:34:23 AM
Im in favour of the hack, not to pirate 3DS games but for emulation of VC titles I already own for my Wii and older consoles

So you don't want to pirate 3DS games, you want to pirate old games. Technically the way it works is that when you buy a game you have a license to use it on the system you bought it on only unless specifically stated otherwise (like when you buy a PS1 game on PSN and it says you can use it on a PS3, Vita or PSP). So say you own an SMB cartridge, playing it pirated in any form is still pirated. Also a technicality, but you can backup your own software, not someone else's. Let's say you have a SMB1 NES cartridge, unless you dump the rom yourself its still piracy. If you have a modded PS1 and Mega Man X 5, you would have to backup Mega Man X 5 yourself, not download someone else's and burn it.

That said, you're right that removing region lock won't stop people from trying to jailbreak the 3DS. For these people it isn't about what you can do with it, its about being able to hack it.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#5Dark_Link92(Topic Creator)Posted 12/31/2012 5:34:24 AM
I know it won't stop the actual hackers at all- I think it may just stop some people installing the hacks. There are a lot of simple things Nintendo could do for a similar effect to be honest, they just never will.
They could let us share funds between Wii U/3DS.
They could make as many VC titles as possible playable and downloadable on both systems.
They could remove region lock.
They could give us custom themes or colour palettes for the Home menu (I see a surprising amount of people who want this. A black theme- like on the Wii- would be awesome, and not difficult for them to implement).
---
Pokemon Black- FC: 0003 3185 8262
Monster Hunter Tri, ID:71YAXZ -EU Server!
#6n00bsaib0tPosted 12/31/2012 5:37:48 AM
But can they remove region lock? Is stuff like that in the firmware, hardware or software? Does the 3DS OS, the physical 3DS itself, or the cartridge determine the region lock?
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#7lambchipsPosted 12/31/2012 5:38:10 AM
to be fair nintendo asked for it with the region locking lol
when the 3ds was first released everyone was pro hacker because of the region lock

either way i cant wait till the hack becomes public
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#8rizsparkyPosted 12/31/2012 5:46:28 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...
But can they remove region lock? Is stuff like that in the firmware, hardware or software? Does the 3DS OS, the physical 3DS itself, or the cartridge determine the region lock?

Its the kernal that regulates the region lock, so its purely software based.
#9rizsparkyPosted 12/31/2012 5:52:23 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...
So you don't want to pirate 3DS games, you want to pirate old games. Technically the way it works is that when you buy a game you have a license to use it on the system you bought it on only unless specifically stated otherwise (like when you buy a PS1 game on PSN and it says you can use it on a PS3, Vita or PSP). So say you own an SMB cartridge, playing it pirated in any form is still pirated. Also a technicality, but you can backup your own software, not someone else's. Let's say you have a SMB1 NES cartridge, unless you dump the rom yourself its still piracy. If you have a modded PS1 and Mega Man X 5, you would have to backup Mega Man X 5 yourself, not download someone else's and burn it.

I understand that its still piracy, but I don't want to continuously pay for games I already own if I can access them via homebrew, for example I own Donkey Kong Country 2 on the SNES, GBA and Wii VC and a form of Street Fighter II on SNES,GBC,GBA,PS2,Wii,PS3 Ive already contributed towards buying the game several times so I have no moral issue in pirating them with the 3DS.
#10viruz42Posted 12/31/2012 5:53:48 AM
I think undoing the region lock will only be beneficial until the hack is complete. Once the 3ds is exposed and can be done by normal people, I have little faith in people using the hack for just themes or homebrew. Odds are people will use it to emulate new and old games.