I love mario....but...

#1Darkstorm16Posted 12/31/2012 8:18:15 AM
He's just not as difficult as he used to be and I figured out why. In the older games the layouts were more difficult, you can't get 1Ups like a dime a dozen, and even if your at full power (w/ a power up) if you get hit your back to small Mario. Now it's like just an easy breeze through game and they give you power ups that just make the game even more easier. The only thing that makes the game more fun is if you set up your own challenge....like saying try to play the game without grabbing a mushroom. That being said. Anyone else think so>?
---
Current Systems: 3DS, DSlite, IPod Touch
If There is Evil in this world it lurks in the hearts of Man- Tales of Phantasia
#2n00bsaib0tPosted 12/31/2012 8:23:44 AM(edited)
You can fly through a good portion of SMB3 and SMW. Good use of P-Wings makes SMB3 ridiculously easy. I don't think the power ups have anything to do with it. The level lay outs aren't that much easier than they used to be, SMB2 JP aside.

Edit- I'm tired, its way late where I am. That last line had nothing to do with anything in this post.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#3Spidey98Posted 12/31/2012 8:22:53 AM
Umm no. I dont even know what you meant by that but I think mario is just fine the way it is.
---
3DS FC: 1289-8698-7326
Black 2 FC: 0992-0446-4997
#4Darkstorm16(Topic Creator)Posted 12/31/2012 8:27:29 AM
I don't know >.> I was playing Super Mario Bros. last night and can't even get past world 2 lol >.> just an idea. I love the New Super Mario Bros. though.
---
If There is Evil in this world it lurks in the hearts of Man- Tales of Phantasia
#5n00bsaib0tPosted 12/31/2012 8:33:59 AM
Well SMB1 obviously doesn't have the ease-of-platforming power ups that SMB3 and SMW do. It also doesn't have wall kicking like NSMB. Take away flying and wall kicking and NSMB level layouts can get fairly difficult (not as difficult as the end levels of SMB3 or SMW, but difficult enough). I think there are more 1ups in newer games because the concept of extra lives and continues are just outdated, especially when you can save. They are there because it isn't Mario without green mushrooms and 1ups via 100 coins, but plentiful because when you can just load your save game, what is the point of a game over now?

I think a lot of people look back at playing SMB3 and SMW as a kid and how much harder it was when we weren't even 10 years old yet and compare NSMB to that instead of how good they are at SMB3 and SMW now. That's why I think the argument of power ups doesn't hold any weight, you can avoid a good majority of the platforming difficulty in SMW especially with a feather and a Yoshi.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#6WrestlinFanPosted 12/31/2012 8:35:49 AM
Quote:Umm no. I dont even know what you meant by that but I think mario is just fine the way it is.
@Spidey98

I think otherwise. It's just too easy. I suck at 3D platformers, but I finished 3D Land with 123 extra lives. That's too easy. At least include a hard mode or something nintendy.
---
Sent from my iPod touch via PowerFAQs 1.9
#7iMURDAuPosted 12/31/2012 8:47:27 AM
In the older games you could easily max out your lives.... in SMB 3 you could do it as early as 1-2. The newer games just don't make you work as hard for the extra lives but I've never seen Mario as a challenging series. Except for the Lost Levels of course.
---
"I'm saying people outside GameFAQs didn't care when Mega Man Legends 3 was cancelled." horror_spooky
3DS FC: 1977-1514-4983, PM if you add me
#8Darkstorm16(Topic Creator)Posted 12/31/2012 8:47:37 AM
The thing that made New Super Mario Bros. hard was the coins some were utterly irritating lol and the fact that when u first played through you couldn't save until you hit a castle or spent a coin.
---
#9McmadnessV3Posted 12/31/2012 8:51:08 AM
WrestlinFan posted...
Quote:Umm no. I dont even know what you meant by that but I think mario is just fine the way it is.
@Spidey98

I think otherwise. It's just too easy. I suck at 3D platformers, but I finished 3D Land with 123 extra lives. That's too easy. At least include a hard mode or something nintendy.

Lives aren't really a defining thing on whether a game is hard or not.

Lets be honest here, lives basically became redundant the moment they invented saving.
---
Thank you for taking the time to read this sig.
This sig loves you.
#10TheRealMrManPosted 12/31/2012 9:02:02 AM
iMURDAu posted...
In the older games you could easily max out your lives.... in SMB 3 you could do it as early as 1-2. The newer games just don't make you work as hard for the extra lives but I've never seen Mario as a challenging series. Except for the Lost Levels of course.

But you're talking about actually farming lives. In NSMB and SM3DL you'll have racked up 200+ lives by the third world just by normally playing the game.

They should really either get rid of the abundance of lives or offer some other kind of new incentive. It's lame finding a secret or something only to be rewarded with a 1UP. Gee thanks, I'll just add this to my stockpile of 200.

And while Mario as a whole may not be a challenging series, it's been practically devoid of challenge lately with the exception of some stuff in the SMG games. And you know SMB3 was way more difficult than any of the NSMB games.
---
https://soundcloud.com/edsped/sets/metal