I love mario....but...

#11n00bsaib0tPosted 12/31/2012 9:19:19 AM
And you know SMB3 was way more difficult than any of the NSMB games.

When was the last time you P-Winged a level in NSMB?
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#12TheRealMrManPosted 12/31/2012 9:21:34 AM
sure let me just p-wing through every level thanks my argument has been invalidated
---
https://soundcloud.com/edsped/sets/metal
#13n00bsaib0tPosted 12/31/2012 9:23:03 AM
sure let me just p-wing through every level thanks my argument has been invalidated

The P-Wing takes all the challenge out of the game. There is no denying that.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#14TheRealMrManPosted 12/31/2012 9:43:12 AM
That's the point of the P-Wing. Thankfully you don't get them that often and if you play the levels the way they were intended they are challenging.
---
https://soundcloud.com/edsped/sets/metal
#15DeathSoul2000Posted 12/31/2012 9:50:18 AM
SMB1 has warp zones that allow you to skip 3/4 the game. SMB3 gives you plenty of places to earn lives,(sure it doesn't save them if you quit but still) and also has a warp device that allows you to skip a lot of the game. SMW also has plentiful lives. yeah ok, so the newer ones do give out more, but its not like i remember getting many game overs on any marios other than 1 or 2jp.
#16n00bsaib0tPosted 12/31/2012 10:10:04 AM
TheRealMrMan posted...
That's the point of the P-Wing. Thankfully you don't get them that often and if you play the levels the way they were intended they are challenging.

You could say the same thing about some of the NSMB and SM3DL levels. SMB3 wasn't that hard except for a select few levels anyway, especially with the raccoon tail. SMB3 is over all better quality compared to NSMB or SM3DL, but I wouldn't go as far as to say its really that much harder.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
#17Mega_RatPosted 12/31/2012 10:52:13 AM
Lives aren't really in shmups though. Those games are all about memorization.
---
My wonderful girlfriend is a smexy Bunuppy! A cross breed of a bunny and a puppy .. WHAT! O_O
http://i.imgur.com/nddzs.jpg <- My name in a game (MSFHD)! :D
#18Catcher_FreemanPosted 12/31/2012 10:58:29 AM
Lives don't affect the difficulty of the game in anyway.

And yeah, in SMW and SMB3, you could fly through entire levels.

The cape and P-Wing were broken as hell.

And a lot of the difficulty in the older games came from the godawful jumping physics.

I guarantee that if they were remade today with no changes except updated graphics and better physics, the remakes would be easier.
---
The mac daddy of the Pokemon Black 2 board.
#19mahboiPosted 12/31/2012 11:23:25 AM
Out of all the problems recent Mario games have had, you think difficulty is the most pressing?
---
E means "Everyone", not "Eleven and under". Agrees: 52
I believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior, and am proud of it.
#20SoaringDivePosted 12/31/2012 11:31:50 AM
-Better, less restrictive control over the character

-More screen space means you have more time to react (hence why DKCR went cinematic with it's mine cart levels)

-Saving made lives completely redundant (never an indication of difficulty), so they started treating them as "good-feels" (get all the red coins? Here's a 1UP and a DINGALINGALING)

-You're better at games now than you were as a kid

-There's more content. Old games had a lot less, so they made you restart from the beginning when you lost all your lives (SMB1), or the last 8 levels over again (SMB3~now)

It's not that they've simply made it easier. It's other things about games that made it easier, and you're confusing that with layout.
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive