Connecticut town collecting and destroying violent video games.

#101AlbinoGerbilPosted 1/3/2013 7:37:55 PM
MarioLinkGenofa posted...

So here we are, feeling weak, depressed, powerless, when the easiest scapegoat of all time comes in to tell people that games are to blame? Does it makes any sense? Nope. Does it feel good to blame something, anything at all, after stuff like this hits the fan? Sure as heck does.

So please, quit your constant moaning about how people are blaming games on a massacre, we lost 20 young children so kindly STFU.

So we should sit idly by while a group of people demonize something, anything, so they can feel better about the tragedy? I'm sorry but that's as messed up as a soup sandwich.
I have 3 daughters and I grieve for the loss of all those children, I truly do have a sense of what those parents and the community at large feel. I've seen death and destruction to varying degrees in my time in the military as well.
All that being said I think it's ridiculous and somewhat negligent to blame something that had not been proven to be the root cause of this particular act. It solves nothing and actually fosters unfounded hate/resentment to an otherwise innocent 3rd party.
'Kindly STFU'? Really? I don't think so.
---
Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
3DS FC: 3781-0310-6225
#102Carbuncle009Posted 1/3/2013 7:49:53 PM
From the article...
The initiative is being spearheaded by the Southing SOS community group. The organization made clear it is not linking violent games directly to the killings at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Instead, they suggest that now is a suitable time for parents to engage their children in discussions about whether or not playing violent games is appropriate.

So then what's the whole point of this then? They already started a whole study into this, do they need to do anymore? Why not just give some sort of law that strictly enforces the ESRB in the county? At least that way, you aren't wasting time and effort. I mean, chances are, some kids have copies of rare games. That happens? Said rare game is destroyed, no one else can benefit from it.

*facedesks until the cows come home*
---
Can I put my Onix in your Cloyster? Yes: 4 No: 4 Maybe: 2
The Sapphire Carbuncle: Why I'm proud to be a brony http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyYTKbC6tbw
#103Carbuncle009Posted 1/3/2013 7:52:32 PM
Though, just my curiosity here, how would they go about destroying digital copies of said violent game?
---
Can I put my Onix in your Cloyster? Yes: 4 No: 4 Maybe: 2
The Sapphire Carbuncle: Why I'm proud to be a brony http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyYTKbC6tbw
#104KHWyvernPosted 1/3/2013 7:57:55 PM
Carbuncle009 posted...
Though, just my curiosity here, how would they go about destroying digital copies of said violent game?

Destroy the computer or console I guess.
---
You come out here with your bright ass purple shirt, your green shirt, before that your orange shirt, You look like A BIG FAT BOWL OF FRUITY PEBBLES!- The Rock
#105WrestlinFan(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2013 8:04:44 PM
Quote:Carbuncle009 posted...

Destroy the computer or console I guess.

@KHWyvern

Why not burn down the power suppliers so you can't turn on video game consoles, since no video games=no violence apparently. Also I like your sig
---
Sent from my iPod touch via PowerFAQs 1.9
#106phantom_14Posted 1/3/2013 8:07:00 PM
I think its parents/governors to blame for this. Not games. This times parents are to soft or afraid to beat some sense on the kids. My parents would smack me hard if I did something bad and I am not doing/thinking crazy stuff to people.
---
No Regrets!!!, Fight!!!, For happiness and a tomorrow.
http://www.mindistortion.tv/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=phantom14
#107DarkNight11Posted 1/3/2013 8:11:48 PM
IHeartMetroid posted...
"Even if you somehow remove all guns from the world, he'll just find another way to hurt and kill people."

Mm hmm.

9/11 didn't involve the use of guns.

The deaths of hundreds of people in Oklahoma City wasn't done using guns.

The worst school massacre of all time did not involve a gun.

We live in a society where the main culprit of these twisted, vile attacks -untreated mental issues- has been pushed aside for the sake of economy. Involuntary treatment for the sake of society was stigmatized and institutions closed down due to a combination of lack of funding and misguided efforts at sympathy. So now we have untreated mentally unstable people homeless and wandering on the streets instead of receiving treatment, care and shelter.

And the cycle repeats- some vile and twisted attack occurs, a scapegoat is found and the root causes are ignored, and time marches on.

Excellent point, and very well-stated.

And to the people from CT posting about this being a reaction due to grief, anger, and frustration, that's very understandable. After a tragedy like that, emotions like that are definitely to be expected. But this is still a waste of time.
Aim that grief, anger, and frustration at the abysmal mental-health care in this society. Not only would that do some legitimate good, it might phase out this idiotic scapegoating.
---
Anyone questioning SpongeBob's sexuality has something to hide themselves.
#108darkus_fPosted 1/3/2013 8:44:43 PM
Well that was hard to read. My face is getting sore from all the facepalming.
Guns kill people, period. Regardless of who's holding them they enable and give people sane or not the ability to kill. A videogame will not give you that ability.
If stronger gun laws are implemented there will still be illegal guns out there (after all the corrupt government gets a share from crime) but it will be less than now. Less guns equals less killings. That's a FACT.

And for those that are saying that this is good for the grieving families... If anything this is a punch on the gut to every single one of them. It's an insult to the memory of all that died because their death only proved how corrupt the government is. That even when innocent children are shot to death there won't be any proper justice. Their death could at least bring about some change but it was all in vain. Nothing has changed.

Instead we get some idiots burning freakin video games instead of going for the source of the problem and other bigger idiots are actually buying into it. Sick.
---
3DS FC: 0447-5073-6549
White2 FC: 0047-1293-2356
#109EchidneysPosted 1/3/2013 9:08:30 PM
SkittyOnWailord posted...
And apparently they're receiving gift cards when they destroy the games. I wonder if they give more than Gamestop does?

X_ULTIMA_X posted...
Sooooo what you could do is go to GameStop and buy a preowned copy of a violent game that's old and cheap around 5 bucks then cash it in for a 25$ gift card? They didn't think this through did they. I could go and buy 20 violent $5 games and get 500 bucks in gift cards? It's a triple win, your getting copies of cod burned, while making money and exploiting a stupid idea in the first place.

That link doesn't mention an exact price anywhere.

Yeah, but meals and gift cards usually range in the $10+ range, I thought this was a good idea. Spend about twenty bucks to get fifty or maybe a hundred for meals? I'm all for exploiting petty idiots for personal gain.
---
PSN: Echidneys | 3DS: 4468 1242 8413
"It sucks, and you're all stupid for liking it."
#110SakurafanboyPosted 1/3/2013 9:45:24 PM
darkus_f posted...
Well that was hard to read. My face is getting sore from all the facepalming.
Guns kill people, period. Regardless of who's holding them they enable and give people sane or not the ability to kill. A videogame will not give you that ability.
If stronger gun laws are implemented there will still be illegal guns out there (after all the corrupt government gets a share from crime) but it will be less than now. Less guns equals less killings. That's a FACT.

No, it really isn't. Take away guns, they'll stab you, take away knives they'll introduce your face to McHammer. Take away those they'll use their fists. What will you do? Amputate everyone's hands at birth? Fact is, yes, guns are used for killing, but they don't drive a person to kill. Its that own person's fault and they should be held responsible. Not the guns or the knives, and most certainly not the music or games the person listened to or played. When a person wants to kill, they will kill no matter what weapons they may or may not have access to and their outside interests mean jack ****.
---
Team Gracidea - We live to love!
Proud fan of all that is Shaymin!