Connecticut town collecting and destroying violent video games.

#41CaliberChampPosted 1/3/2013 8:52:29 AM
They should be offering gift certificates for destroying guns instead. I personally knew a few crazy people that owned guns but never played video games.
---
Recommended games: Guild Wars 2, The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Batman arkham city, Brutal Legend
Terrible games: Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Diablo 3, X-Com, War Z
#42hyjinx17Posted 1/3/2013 8:55:49 AM
"We're not saying the use of video games causes people to become murderers, but there's evidence that it causes increases in aggressiveness, fear, anxiety and desensitization about actions of violence," said director of community services Susan Saucier

I'm not seeing any cited sources there buddy.
---
Rainbow Dash is best pony. The only argument I will accept is for Twilight Sparkle.
#43JoeBudden42Posted 1/3/2013 8:57:01 AM
monkeypahng posted...
Clearly we should collect and kill people because it's proven that living contributes to increasing aggressiveness, fear, anxiety and is desensitizing our children to act of violence including bullying. Wait...

good point
#44redskinStuPosted 1/3/2013 8:58:22 AM
We went through the same thing in the 80's, when Al Gore's wife Tipper blamed all of society's problems on heavy metal music. That's where the "watch out for bad lyrics" labels came from, because they couldn't ban the music.
#45wh0_kn0wsPosted 1/3/2013 8:58:32 AM
TypeOSpectre posted...
Fahrenheit 451! It's happening!

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/425/024/0d9.jpg
---
it's simple. just be nice.
#46CenedarprimePosted 1/3/2013 8:59:46 AM
As a Connecticut native, I'd like to throw in my two cents. While I do not believe video games are to blame for the Newtown tragedy, and trust me, I DON'T, I also don't believe this is your typical knee jerk reaction from fuddy-duddy politicians or gun-loving personalities looking for a scapegoat to protect their precious firearms.

The collection in the CT town is completely voluntary, it's not like they are massing a witch-hunt on all video games with violence. And just to play devil's advocate for a moment, let's consider the families of the Newtown victims. They had their loved ones taken from them, many of them lost young children that day. I don't know about any of you, nor will I speak for you, but if I were in that kind of situation I would be looking for something to blame, someone or something I could put guilt on, if only to allow myself to finish greiving a lost loved one. At some point I'm willing to bet we have all lashed out or said something stupid when we were upset or angry.

Ultimately, will this collection acheive anything? No. People will still buy violent video games and they shoud have the right to do so. But if, in the wake of this collection, people start looking at the REAL issues behind this tragedy, such as proper medical care for mental conditions and gun safety awareness, then I can't feel right in getting mad over another freak-out over violence in games. It will pass, and ultimately forgotten about. All I ask is that you don't paint all us CT natives with the same gun-crazy, stick-up-our-arse brush.

tl;dr version: Yeah the collection is silly and ultimately pointless, but people need to greive. If the product of that greiving is a few less copies of ::insert violent game here:: in the world, then I don't think any of us will lose any sleep over it, even fans of ::insert violent game here::.
---
PKMN Black 2 FC: 4084-3329-2441
"Allons-y!"
#47Pixx0Posted 1/3/2013 9:00:06 AM
Blame USA and their lack of rules about guns.
You don't read stuff about kids being killed at school every day in other countries. Yet, people do play games in the said countries.

Nuff said!
#48ChargrilledPosted 1/3/2013 9:01:12 AM
Whats this got to do with the 3ds. Of all the machines released, this has the least amount of stuff on it
---
GT : DeadJericho / PSN/Wii-U : Focalpoint /
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!
#49WrestlinFan(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2013 9:03:50 AM
Quote:Blame USA and their lack of rules about guns.
You don't read stuff about kids being killed at school every day in other countries. Yet, people do play games in the said countries.

Nuff said!

@Pixx0

Um kids aren't being killed at schools everyday.
---
Sent from my iPod touch via PowerFAQs 1.9
#50Zero_ManiacPosted 1/3/2013 9:05:34 AM
Cenedarprime posted...
As a Connecticut native, I'd like to throw in my two cents. While I do not believe video games are to blame for the Newtown tragedy, and trust me, I DON'T, I also don't believe this is your typical knee jerk reaction from fuddy-duddy politicians or gun-loving personalities looking for a scapegoat to protect their precious firearms.

The collection in the CT town is completely voluntary, it's not like they are massing a witch-hunt on all video games with violence. And just to play devil's advocate for a moment, let's consider the families of the Newtown victims. They had their loved ones taken from them, many of them lost young children that day. I don't know about any of you, nor will I speak for you, but if I were in that kind of situation I would be looking for something to blame, someone or something I could put guilt on, if only to allow myself to finish greiving a lost loved one. At some point I'm willing to bet we have all lashed out or said something stupid when we were upset or angry.

Ultimately, will this collection acheive anything? No. People will still buy violent video games and they shoud have the right to do so. But if, in the wake of this collection, people start looking at the REAL issues behind this tragedy, such as proper medical care for mental conditions and gun safety awareness, then I can't feel right in getting mad over another freak-out over violence in games. It will pass, and ultimately forgotten about. All I ask is that you don't paint all us CT natives with the same gun-crazy, stick-up-our-arse brush.

tl;dr version: Yeah the collection is silly and ultimately pointless, but people need to greive. If the product of that greiving is a few less copies of ::insert violent game here:: in the world, then I don't think any of us will lose any sleep over it, even fans of ::insert violent game here::.

Then let them grieve. Just keep them away from my video games, they never hurt anyone.
---
Currently wanting: A lot of Vita games/accessories!
PSN: Zero_Maniac623